• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Andrew Jones MoFi Speakers

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Looks like Technics already has a speaker with almost the same topology as the 888, and it looks like they made an effort to put some good engineering into the design, although without the very good bass extension of the Mofi.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just watched the New Record Day review of the Source Point 10s.

The portion I found most fascinating was actually the sound clips. He first presents the reference track, and then that track as recorded playing through the Source Point 10s.
Given all the caveats in such a comparison, I was surprised how close the sound is between each:

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Would be interesting to see a comparison of all the excellent coaxials : TAD , Genelec , KEF etc

The portion I found most fascinating was actually the sound clips. He first presents the reference track, and then that track as recorded playing through the Source Point 10s.
Given all the caveats in such a comparison, I was surprised how close the sound is between each:

MarkS

Major Contributor
He first presents the reference track, and then that track as recorded playing through the Source Point 10s.
Meaningless without a control speaker.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

Easiest for me to notice some difference in the female vocal example, but not in any way bad. Audiophile tastes so the selections aren't as challenging as they could be perhaps, would be my main criticism. I watched from your cue point, does he show/describe his recording setup anywhere?

I continued watching to see the measurement section. The variation between on-axis (rising) and off-axis (falling) in the treble is interesting—my speakers look like that somewhat and I like the sound, subjectively.

Meaningless without a control speaker.

For limited/specific meanings of 'meaningless' of course.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like Technics already has a speaker with almost the same topology as the 888, and it looks like they made an effort to put some good engineering into the design, although without the very good bass extension of the Mofi.

Technics are a size class down (6.5" vs. 8") with obviously implications not only for extension but also for output capability. So more like KEF R7 than MoFi 888. Had I realized they were at Axpona I probably would have tried to make time for them in the limited window I had. Even though it's disappointing Technics abandoned their flat-plane coax from the C700 and towers from their previous generation. Those are really good little speakers, and with wider dispersion higher up due to the smaller (3/4") tweeter.

It would also be nice if Technics would send them to someone with a Klippel or the time/patience/space to take good outdoor measurements (e.g. James Larson).

Top Bottom