• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

xirtam2005

Reading through your post, I find that I agree 100% (except for the no sin part :) so let's call it 98%)

I'll also add that the 12V trigger on the STR is handy

The only issue I had with the STR was having to use the beta software because of an issue due to using my amps on a low gain setting, otherwise the usability was pretty flawless.
Thanks for all your helpful comments. They have been eye (and ear) opening, especially the frequency response curve, which made me sick to see.

I'll admit I have a bit of buyer's remorse, since the speakers I actually auditioned had a much flatter FR, but with my current responsibilities, do not have the bandwidth to change speakers. Especially since it would probably be much more expensive to have something that sounds similar enough to the Personas (fast, accurate, clear, articulate, good imaging) without the jazzed/sauced > 5 khz treble, not to mention the effort to market and sell the Personas to a genuine buyer.

I realize I really like the Paradigm Persona speakers and the way they perform when most of the information in the music is < 5 Khz. Guitar solos, stringed quartets, most classical, "unplugged" hi res rock albums, well recorded classic rock are simply amazing. Even classical sounds good - don't mind the air in the upper harmonics.

However for modern/electronic pop, etc where synthesizers or other electronic instruments are used with recording information and/or sonic effects/intentional distortion above 5 Khz, yes, it sounds bright and fatiguing and relatively unbalanced.

All this time I thought either most modern material was bad recordings and/or was suffering from Oppo "ESS Sabre glare". I was wrong.

I'm really hoping ARC in the Anthem STR Preamp will do the trick. I truly don’t have the bandwith, time and energy to change out the speakers. That could hurt my marriage and is not worth it.

Last edited:

Mike-48

I'm really hoping ARC in the Anthem STR Preamp will do the trick.
I think it will, if you correct full range in Pro mode. There are selectable HF rolloff curves that can tame an overbearing top end.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Thanks for all your helpful comments. They have been eye (and ear) opening, especially the frequency response curve, which made me sick to see.

I'll admit I have a bit of buyer's remorse, since the speakers I actually auditioned had a much flatter FR, but with my current responsibilities, do not have the bandwidth to change speakers. Especially since it would probably be much more expensive to have something that sounds similar enough to the Personas (fast, accurate, clear, articulate, good imaging) without the jazzed/sauced > 5 khz treble, not to mention the effort to market and sell the Personas to a genuine buyer.

I realize I really like the Paradigm Persona speakers and the way they perform when most of the information in the music is < 5 Khz. Guitar solos, stringed quartets, most classical, "unplugged" hi res rock albums, well recorded classic rock are simply amazing. Even classical sounds good - don't mind the air in the upper harmonics.

However for modern/electronic pop, etc where synthesizers or other electronic instruments are used with recording information and/or sonic effects/intentional distortion above 5 Khz, yes, it sounds bright and fatiguing and relatively unbalanced.

All this time I thought either most modern material was bad recordings and/or was suffering from Oppo "ESS Sabre glare". I was wrong.

I'm really hoping ARC in the Anthem STR Preamp will do the trick. I truly don’t have the bandwith, time and energy to change out the speakers. That could hurt my marriage and is not worth it.
If possible, check your actual freq response in your seat using microphone and REW. Then you will know more if what you heard is due to the bump or not. Try different toe in angle, use REW to check again.

After toe in adjustments and REW shows no serious bump issue, but you still sense the harshness, then maybe the Persona is actually showing the flaw of your Oppo 105?

Have you tried something else other than Oppo 105 for music playback? For example, using a Topping or Gustard DAC and preamp stack for music playback?

Last edited:
Hi all,
planning to get the STR integrated amp, my dealer in my country has few available, should I go ahead and buy it or wait for few months? Is a refresh planned anytime soon?

Thanks

xirtam2005

Hi all,
planning to get the STR integrated amp, my dealer in my country has few available, should I go ahead and buy it or wait for few months? Is a refresh planned anytime soon?

Thanks
Did you ever get the STR? What do you think of it?

xirtam2005

If possible, check your actual freq response in your seat using microphone and REW. Then you will know more if what you heard is due to the bump or not. Try different toe in angle, use REW to check again.

After toe in adjustments and REW shows no serious bump issue, but you still sense the harshness, then maybe the Persona is actually showing the flaw of your Oppo 105?

Have you tried something else other than Oppo 105 for music playback? For example, using a Topping or Gustard DAC and preamp stack for music playback?

Thanks for the advice. Measurements are something to try. However, not interested in any DAC/pre-amp without a built in cross-over and sub out. I've listened to "really high end" systems costing multiples of what mine costs and prefer my system since they are either using 1) Two channel only systems with no sub and no bass EQ or 2) Integrating a sub in a 2 channel DAC/Preamp but not using a built in cross-over since the 2 channel preamp doesn't have one, maybe only setting a crossover on the sub). While some of those systems may sound amazing at the mid/higher end, all of those have relatively loose/muddy bass.

I've had people tell me my system is the best "in the world" that they've heard (I know it's not by a long shot), but what they tell me is they love my tight articulate deep bass and how it integrates with the mains. I have a Paradigm Signature Sub 1 using the built in PBK/ARC Sub EQ and then crossed over at 50 Hz, so the mains don't get information below that. As such, I'll only consider a 2.1 Pre/pro DAC with built in adjustable crossover.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for the advice. Measurements are something to try. However, not interested in any DAC/pre-amp without a built in cross-over and sub out. I've listened to "really high end" systems costing multiples of what mine costs and prefer my system since they are either using 1) Two channel only systems with no sub and no bass EQ or 2) Integrating a sub in a 2 channel DAC/Preamp but not using a built in cross-over since the 2 channel preamp doesn't have one, maybe only setting a crossover on the sub). All of those have relatively loose/muddy bass.

I've had people tell me my system is the best "in the world" that they've heard (I know it's not by a long shot), but what they tell me is they love my tight articulate deep bass and how it integrates with the mains. I have a Paradigm Signature Sub 1 using the built in PBK/ARC Sub EQ and then crossed over at 50 Hz, so the mains don't get information below that. As such, I'll only consider a 2.1 Pre/pro DAC with built in adjustable crossover.
The mains get information below 50hz and depending on the speakers it can be a lot. Integration of a sub to mains starts with the two products first, if they're not compatible from there, everything after is a compromise.

xirtam2005

The mains get information below 50hz and depending on the speakers it can be a lot. Integration of a sub to mains starts with the two products first, if they're not compatible from there, everything after is a compromise.
What do you mean? I'm only running 2 channel material (mainly Qobuz) that the preamp with built in adjustable crossover set at 50 Hz directs to either preamp main output or sub output. Yes, the mains preout will see some material below 50 Hz, but intentionally highly rolled off by the 2.1 preamp/DAC built-in crossover - I believe it is a 12dB/octave slope.

Last edited:

Everett T

Forum Donor
What do you mean? I'm only running 2 channel material (mainly Qobuz) that the preamp with built in adjustable crossover set at 50 Hz directs to either preamp main output or sub output. Yes, the mains preout will see some material below 50 Hz, but intentionally highly rolled off by the 2.1 preamp/DAC built-in crossover.
Crossovers aren't brick walls, in either direction. If you have sealed mains, the rolloff is slow and gradual, depending on the slope of the crossover the mains can still get plenty of information. The high and low pass can have a substantial effect on the sound. While there is debate between symmetrical and asymmetrical, both have their effect on the system sound.

I didn't catch your gear, but if I was looking at integration, I'd want as much control (flexibility) as possible and that is rarely with a preamp or avr. Just my two cents.

xirtam2005

Crossovers aren't brick walls, in either direction. If you have sealed mains, the rolloff is slow and gradual, depending on the slope of the crossover the mains can still get plenty of information. The high and low pass can have a substantial effect on the sound. While there is debate between symmetrical and asymmetrical, both have their effect on the system sound.

I didn't catch your gear, but if I was looking at integration, I'd want as much control (flexibility) as possible and that is rarely with a preamp or avr. Just my two cents.

I have Paradigm Persona 3 Mains and Paradigm Signature Sub 1 with built in Sub EQ (PBK/ARC) - that is same design as Persona Sub so they are meant to work together. I'm using crossover at 50 Hz with 12 db/octave slope. 50 Hz seemed to sound the best. I'm thinking with 50 Hz setpoint, that the mains already start attenuating above that, given the slope, such that at 50 hz where half sonic material is mains and half is sub. I have the sub set to full range, such the preamp/DAC crossover controls what material gets to the sub with its slope.

Everett T

Forum Donor
I have Paradigm Persona 3 Mains and Paradigm Signature Sub 1 with built in Sub EQ (PBK/ARC) - that is same design as Persona Sub so they are meant to work together. I'm using crossover at 50 Hz with 12 db/octave slope. 50 Hz seemed to sound the best. I'm thinking with 50 Hz setpoint, that the mains already start attenuating above that, given the slope, such that at 50 hz where half sonic material is mains and half is sub. I have the sub set to full range, such the preamp/DAC crossover controls what material gets to the sub with its slope.
I'll look at them closer, but the selected point seems to be close to the 3db point, typically we like to see an half an octave above that as a starting point.

xirtam2005

I'll look at them closer, but the selected point seems to be close to the 3db point, typically we like to see an half an octave above that as a starting point. 12db is better then 24 in your case, IMO, which puts you at 36db. What is the low pass at on the sub?
Sub low pass is 50 Hz, also with -12 dB/octave above to keep the total signal constant. Yes, 50 Hz is -3dB for both.

xirtam2005

In any case, I have no issues with the way my system integrates with a sub. That has never been a problem sonically. Was just wondering if Anthem STR PRE is a good preamp choice for this system, or should I continue to use my aging but still functional OPPO 105-BDP as DAC/preamp. That is nearing 10 years old and still going strong. The CD/DVD stopped working years ago, but I don't listen to physical media. The interface is slow as heck, but sonically it still "works" just fine.

I've been trying to find a worthy replacement for it that is a true 2.1 system with built in adjustable crossover and sub out. Anthem STR PRE seems somewhat of a contender, but disappointed that I cannot see if the DAC is any good or would be a sonic downgrade.

I will not purchase anything that doesn't have built-in 2.1 DAC crossover. I've heard 2 channel systems, even at the highest level, and really don't like the bass. I'm sure some people with meticulous budgets and time can room treat and measure galore, but I do not have the bandwidth for that, given my responsibilities.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Anthem has included the STR series in their latest beta ARC genesis upgrade. ARC will now determine distances and set subwoofer phase with your mains. Just my opinion but the latest ARC Genesis puts it way ahead of the pack. And the web UI on the new Anthem receivers/processors is superb. I just got the AVM90 to handle my four subs and it took over 20 minutes to get all the phase alignment data processed but the result is truly stunning.

fuzzychaos

I tried about an STR integrated for a couple of months on loan form a local dealer. It had a decent sound and the room optimization was super easy to use. For some reason I just couldn’t warm up to it enough to keep it. I wound up getting a Simaudio 340i and use it for a couple of years. It seems that it should be about time for a refresh. Anthem also has 20% off sales occasionally,

TheFrator

How's the value proposition of this piece of equipment still? Are current owners still enjoying it?

I'm considering getting the STR preamp to pair with my Purifi power amp but can't help but feel like Anthem is going to do a refresh sometime soon haha.

Andyg400

How's the value proposition of this piece of equipment still? Are current owners still enjoying it?

I'm considering getting the STR preamp to pair with my Purifi power amp but can't help but feel like Anthem is going to do a refresh sometime soon haha.
I have no idea if they are going to do a refresh ... Had mine a few months paired with a 525 MCA Gen2, sounds great to me.

I am only using my old Lexican with RCA, but will change to balanced AVM at somepoint.

TheFrator

TheFrator

Still got mine , not even thought about replacing it. I do plug the laptop in now and then and redo all my settings tho lol
Awesome - thank you for sharing your impressions. This Anthem would be a big step up for me. Right now I have a Schiit Freya S connected to my DAC that's connected to my computer with Roon. So I've done some simple measurements with REW and dialed in some PEQ using Roon. My conundrum is that I also have a subwoofer. So there's no dedicated subwoofer channel in my current setup, which the STR will solve.

I also like how this product will apply some DSP to the phono stage for when I get the craving to spin a record.

Top Bottom