• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

Andyg400

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Big ops, I did not notice pre-amp, Doh … I have the STR Power amp ….
BTW, how do you like the power and bass slam of that thing?

Mike-48

How's the value proposition of this piece of equipment still? Are current owners still enjoying it?

I'm considering getting the STR preamp to pair with my Purifi power amp but can't help but feel like Anthem is going to do a refresh sometime soon haha.
To me, the value proposition is great. Replacing a $6000 Classé CP-800 with the $4000 Anthem preamp gave a better DAC and much better DSP, along with a far better thought-out product. For a very good DAC, preamp, crossover, and DSP unit, it's cost-effective in spades . . . if the general sound and concept appeal to you.

I enjoy it every day, paired with PuriFi monoblocks. A great combination.

A refresh? Hard to know; Anthem keeps their cards close to the vest. Since their audio-only line is not their big seller, I suspect they'll wait a while longer, but who knows? If I were concerned about that, I'd look for a used one.

Andyg400

BTW, how do you like the power and bass slam of that thing?
Ops … did not see your question.

Background, I went from a Parasound 2205 to MCA525 and the STR to drive the front two Kefs. Definitely greater clarity and no issue that can hear or comment about.

xirtam2005

I've been interested in getting an Anthem STR PRE for some time. However, what is chance that Anthem will refresh/update the STR PRE sometime in the next year or so? Only thing more I wish it had was a 2.1 HDMI connection, to connect e-ARC HDMI from TV, so not limited to a TV with optical out.

Do these ever go on sale or get good discounts?

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I've been interested in getting an Anthem STR PRE for some time. However, what is chance that Anthem will refresh/update the STR PRE sometime in the next year or so?

Do these ever go on sale or get good discounts?
I've been exceptionally happy with the STR Preamp, esp with the new ARC Genesis capabilities. Anthem has a 20% off sale each year, I THINK it's during the spring but check with your dealer to be sure.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
However, what is chance that Anthem will refresh/update the STR PRE sometime in the next year or so?
If I had to guess I'd say it would be another 2 years or so before seeing a AVM 80 or 100.
The 60s had a 4 year run, being introduced in 2016 and the 80's in 2020.
Hows your crystal ball? ;)

radix

Major Contributor
I have a question about the trigger functionality for the preamp model. I would like the unit to auto-on when there's USB data from the streamer. Is that possible by selecting the USB as the trigger in the menus? I assume it would also turn on when I press the remote's power button. And by "turn on" I mean also send the 12V trigger to the amps.

I currently have a minidsp SHD and dislike the UX. The STR preamp looks like they did a great job with managing inputs and custom names and such.

It looks like the STR will let me get rid of my current phono preamp and the SHD :)

The overall system: Volumio streamer (rpi4), MC turntable, CD transport (coax), digital recorder (tascam da-3000 used for some LP digitizing), 2x AHB2 amps. I might add an AM/FM tuner as my partner really prefers a physical interface to messing with a phone.

My other option is to go for a mac C48 and keep the SHD just as a DSP.

Mike-48

I have a question about the trigger functionality for the preamp model. I would like the unit to auto-on when there's USB data from the streamer. Is that possible by selecting the USB as the trigger in the menus?
Unless another STR owner knows the answer (I do not), I suggest emailing [email protected] and asking the question. That or ask the dealer you are thinking of buying it from.

radix

Major Contributor
Unless another STR owner knows the answer (I do not), I suggest emailing [email protected] and asking the question. That or ask the dealer you are thinking of buying it from.

I did contact Anthem. They said the STR has no ability to turn on based on audio input.

I was not able to clarify with them what p.18 of the manual says under Trigger Control: "When set to No, the input list appears and the trigger can be configured to activate through any combination of input selection." Maybe they will get back to me in another day or two.

radix

Major Contributor
I found an STR preamp secondhand for $2600 and just got it setup. It replaces an SHD + MC preamp. I've done a first ARC genesis (on Mac), but don't want to post REW plots yet comparing it with SHD until I have a bit more time to make sure I didn't mess anything up.

Here's a few thoughts on the STR vs SHD:

• I like the STR UI much better. Being able to name inputs is huge.
  • It's nice that they have IR codes for each input. That way I can go directly between streamer, CD player, phono, and digital recorder.
  • When using the Input select button, it does not change channels until you confirm it, which is also very nice.
  • The SHD definitely has more tweeking ability, in that the PEQ and biquads give it almost unlimited flexibility. I did use some biquads from REW to cleanup after DIRAC. I'm still experimenting with ARC, so I don't know yet if I will feel this is lacking.
  • I do like having LINE OUT from the STR, which I can feed to my DA-3000 to record records. With the SHD, I had to use RCA Y cables off the external preamp.
  • It seems like the balanced outs are hotter from the STR than the SHD. I've not measured it, but it seems like from the front display I'm listening about 6-8 dB lower on the STR for about the same perceived volume. Maybe this is an ARC vs Dirac issue? I'll investigate some more.
  • I do like having access to sub/bass/treble EQ right off the remote without needing to boot up the Minidsp console.
  • The display is very nice.
  • EDIT: built-in 12V trigger! Hurray!
I do have a couple nits with the STR:

• The mobile app is so-so. I wish it let me do typing and such on the mobile device rather than it just being a remote for the STR's screen. If I have to get up and sit in front of the STR to see the screen and selections, the remote app does not help much.
  • After powering on, when I first play from Volumio (rasperry pi 4b), there's a quick pop from the right speaker. It never does it again until the next power cycle. I've asked Anthem support about this. I've not tried a different USB player yet.
  • Volumio connected via USB does not seem to be able to control the Anthem's volume even though it's set to hardware mixer. I've also asked anthem support about this.
  • The Anthem IR codes use one code for power on and one code for standby. This makes it awkward to use a SofaBaton to integrate other devices, as everything else using a single power toggle. I wish the STR also had a single power toggle IR code.
  • the STR chassis seems much larger (deeper) than it needs to be, but this is not much of an issue.
I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the STR over the SHD just for the UI and naming the inputs. It is now possible for my partner to use the stereo without needing a cheatsheet to figure out what's what.

Once I decide to keep it, I'll get Middle Atlantic to make up a custom RSH rack shelf for it.

radix

Major Contributor
I've not heard back from Anthem tech support yet. Volumio on a raspberry pi does not adjust the preamp volume, even though it recognizes the Anthem STR USB device the mixer is set to hardware.

Has anyone else had this problem with Anthem equipment, or is there something special that needs to be done in Volumio?

tree

I've not heard back from Anthem tech support yet. Volumio on a raspberry pi does not adjust the preamp volume, even though it recognizes the Anthem STR USB device the mixer is set to hardware.

Has anyone else had this problem with Anthem equipment, or is there something special that needs to be done in Volumio?
One of the reasons I wanted the STR pre was because of it's HT pass-through. It it also connected to an AVR. The AVR causes pops when powering on but the STR pre doesn't. I think it because of electronics, balanced vs unbalanced or buffering (capacitors) in the AVR.

Mike-48

@radix - Many months ago, I asked Anthem support about the "quick pop" when first playing. They replied that they claim compatibility with only Mac or Windows computers through the USB connection, so they don't consider the pop to be a bug that requires attention. I confirmed that there's no pop when my Windows laptop is the source, rather than my streamer. (Needless to say, I thought that was a a silly answer.)

I gave up on the (Android) remote app a long time ago. It was so full of bugs as to be unusable. I am told the Apple version is better. Is that what you're using?

Roon controls my streamer fine but does not recognize the STR Pre as the attached device. That means I use a tablet for Roon and a physical remote to control the STR volume.

I hope you enjoy your STR.

radix

Major Contributor
@radix - Many months ago, I asked Anthem support about the "quick pop" when first playing. They replied that they claim compatibility with only Mac or Windows computers through the USB connection, so they don't consider the pop to be a bug that requires attention. I confirmed that there's no pop when my Windows laptop is the source, rather than my streamer. (Needless to say, I thought that was a a silly answer.)

I gave up on the (Android) remote app a long time ago. It was so full of bugs as to be unusable. I am told the Apple version is better. Is that what you're using?

Roon controls my streamer fine but does not recognize the STR Pre as the attached device. That means I use a tablet for Roon and a physical remote to control the STR volume.

I hope you enjoy your STR.

I don't really use the app. It's pretty pointless. I have the iphone version, and it seemed ok, but it doesn't really help with much. It's kind of just a remote for the screen on the STR, so if I have to go sit in front of the STR to see what's happening, I can just use the knobs.

When you use windows, does it control the volume on the STR? That's my biggest issue. Volumio on RspberryPi does not control the STR's volume even though the mixer is set to hardware and it seems to see the STR's mixer.

My second biggest issue is that the IR codes do not have a power toggle, but a separate power on / power standby. That means I need 2 buttons on the SofaBaton for power.

I'm working on a Volumio3 plugin for the STR to control it via IP so I can get hardware volume control and a sensible power on/off with a single button. I think I'll also be able to enumerate the inputs and create an input select UI like the SHD's volumio has.

radix

Major Contributor
I went through the full ARC Genesis EQ, then tweeked it based on REW. Here's what I ended up with.

System: STR preamp, 2x AHB2 (low sensitivity mode), Revel F228be, Inkognito 10 (front right corner), SVS 3000 Micro (left about 2/3 to back). The subs are what I had from my HT setup, I'm working on getting a final set for the living room.

The inkognito is set at -3 dB gain, the SVS is set at -31 dB gain in the app. After the ARC Genesis, I did a bunch of REW measurements and applied some tweeks. To flatten an 80 Hz bump, I applied a PEQ on the Inkognito 79.4 Hz, -10 dB, Q 2.3.

In listening tests, I adjusted the preamp's EQ to be +2 dB subs and -2 dB treble (not shown in figure). I think overall this is working OK for me, though I still need to work on at that 45 Hz room mode (plus a 480 and 720). The position of the 3000 micro somewhat helps, but I need to move subs around more.

Overall, it surely is easier to tweek the configuration in DIRAC and SHD control center. I'm still figuring out ARC Genesis, but they do not let you have very fine control. And I found I had to tweek the sub gains in REW after Genesis.

I suspect in the end -- after I've found the best sub positions -- I'll need to use something like REW + MSO and the sub PEQs after ARC Genesis.

This figure is the STR and ARC Genesis plus tweeks. I don't have a comparable SHD figure as the subs and speaker positions changed since I had it in the system. The next figure is the same thing but without smoothing (the trace colors changed).

livingroom_20230301.png

livingroom_20230301_nosmooth.png

Mike-48

I don't really use the app. It's pretty pointless. I have the iphone version, and it seemed ok, but it doesn't really help with much. It's kind of just a remote for the screen on the STR, so if I have to go sit in front of the STR to see what's happening, I can just use the knobs.

When you use windows, does it control the volume on the STR? That's my biggest issue. Volumio on RspberryPi does not control the STR's volume even though the mixer is set to hardware and it seems to see the STR's mixer.

My second biggest issue is that the IR codes do not have a power toggle, but a separate power on / power standby. That means I need 2 buttons on the SofaBaton for power.

I'm working on a Volumio3 plugin for the STR to control it via IP so I can get hardware volume control and a sensible power on/off with a single button. I think I'll also be able to enumerate the inputs and create an input select UI like the SHD's volumio has.
Hi -- Agreed, the app is close to useless, and on Android the app also is full of bugs (e.g., shows the wrong profile).

I can't say whether Windows can control the STR volume, as I used Windows just long enough to verify that the "pop" did not occur.

Best luck with your plugin!

EDIT ADDED: I tried the app again, after a long time not using it. Anthem appears to have fixed most of the bugs. The volume control works well, and the correct profile name is displayed. Still, I find it easier to use the physical remote. I guess it's nice to have the app in case I ever lose the remote.

Last edited:

mags65

Forum Donor
Hi all, I am considering moving to 2.1 from current solution of Roon (on dedicated Mac Mini, ethernet)->Wiim Pro->RME ADI-2 DAC->Nord NCx500 dual mono->Fyne F502SP. Have dabbled in DSP on Roon w/help of convolution filter from HouseCurve, and find this very compelling and for me a significant improvement in a slightly bass-challenged room (approx. 5x8m, but opens into rest of floor which is additional approx. 55 sqm). Do not want to change out too much in the chain, so RME is likely target for swapping out.

Reading so far indicates that decent 2.1 preamps are few and far between, but that the Anthem STR pre does tick my boxes re. proper crossover management/sub integration which I have come to understand is crucial (12v trigger is a bonus). Also require balanced out for mains as the Nord is XLR only. Threads on miniDSP have not made me enthusiastic, so that route is closed (so far). I do have a bead on a relatively new Anthem, but came across this passage in the Soundstage review that bothers me a bit:

«I wanted to test some other things I might not have known about had Diego not written about them in his review. One was the STR’s self-noise. Diego had found that the STR’s analog inputs were commendably quiet when the signal remained in the analog domain -- but with Convert Analog enabled, or any of the digital inputs selected, he could hear hiss when sitting in his listening chair with the volume control at its maximum setting (+7.5dB) and no music playing.

I selected an analog input without Convert Analog enabled, and turned the volume all the way up, with no music playing. Like Diego, I found the STR quiet -- I could hear a little bit of hiss only when I put my ear within inches of a tweeter, which is normal. But when I selected a digital input, the hiss increased to the point that I could hear it about 4’ from the speaker. Diego was right -- the STR is noisier with its digital circuitry engaged. I then set the volume to a level typical of what I’d listen at, -35dB, which lowered the hiss to a much more acceptable level -- to hear it, my ear had to be within about a foot of a tweeter.»

One of the main reasons for changing out my +10 yrs Parasound P3/A21-combo earlier this year was an extremely annoying hiss, audible at 1-1,5m, which is completely gone in the new setup. I do not want this to return, and was therefore wondering if the above description of hiss w/digital connection is recognised by any of the STR pre users here on the forum? Eagerly anticipating your experiences,

/Magnus

radix

Major Contributor
One of the main reasons for changing out my +10 yrs Parasound P3/A21-combo earlier this year was an extremely annoying hiss, audible at 1-1,5m, which is completely gone in the new setup. I do not want this to return, and was therefore wondering if the above description of hiss w/digital connection is recognised by any of the STR pre users here on the forum? Eagerly anticipating your experiences,

My chain is RPi4 (Volumio3) - SMSL SU1 DAC - (RCA analog) - STR PRE - Benchmark 2xAHB2 - Revel F228be. That's 380wpc. I use the mid-gain setting, to match the STR's 6.6 Vrms output (which I assume is at the +7 dB gain setting. I've never seen a clip light, but I don't turn it up that high). I never noticed the hiss with Convert Analog enabled. I usually listen around -30 dB to -20 dB on the STR at 1m - 3m, depending on the seat. I sometimes listen at -12 dB to -5 dB if I really want it loud.

So, I cranked it up to +7 dB and yes, there's a clear hiss with my head up to the speakers. I can hear it maybe 1m away before it's lost in the background noise. With my ear up to the speaker, I can hear the hiss down to about -20 dB on the STR.

With Convert Analog disabled, the hiss is almost completely gone with my ear up to the tweeter even at +7 dB.

I can get out the UMIK-2 and see if I can measure an actual SPL for the hiss, but I cannot do that tonight.

My take on this... I never noticed it until you posted about it.

P.S. Why do I use the SU1 DAC? If I use the digital in, then Volumio gets confused every time the STR powers off and it takes it some time to recover when the power comes back on. With the SU1, the DAC does not go away, so Volumio is happy.

Mike-48

Obviously, audibility of hiss will depend on gain of the power amplifier and sensitivity of the speakers. The Marchand crossover used by the reviewer might contribute a bit of additional hiss, too, which could increase the audibility of the Anthem's self-noise.

To put the finding in perspective, a typical listening level is 40-50 dB lower than the level at which this was this was tested. It is, IMO, a test with very little meaning. Yes, ideally, the unit would be completely silent at all levels, but how much would it have to cost to achieve that?

I've been using an STR Preamp for almost five years now. From my listening chair about 3.5 m away in an exceptionally quiet room, there is no noise that I can hear.

CORRECTION: The ear-to-speaker distance in my setup is about 2.7 m, NOT 3.5 m as I wrote.

Last edited:
Top Bottom