• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are Audyssey mics basically the same?

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've managed to accumulate five Audyssey mics for various Denons that have passed through my setups over the years. I used to keep them in chronological order, but managed to mix them all up recently. The only thing that differentiates them visibly is a factory-numbered label on the bottom and, in one case, a different colored plastic surround on the bottom (black instead of the usual brown) .

Does any of this matter? Are they interchangeable for use in Denon calibration? Do they 'go bad' with age and if so, does the label number tell me anything?

No. 5

Good questions! Just like pricy pre-polarized capsules, inexpensive electric mic capsules can most definitely loose sensitivity over time, and frequency response can change too, but I wouldn't expect more than a few dB of change unless something has gone extremely wrong. If there is a few Decibel change, I wouldn't be surprised if it's still within or close to Denon's tolerances from their supplier, since a decent inexpensive small capsule like that should be basically flat below ~2kHz, and given the mic's themselves not having a serial number Denon/Audyssey is betting on unit to unit consistency rather than "real" calibration.

Zedly

Forum Donor
There is also a video where someone compares the standard Audyssey mic with the ACM1-X individually calibrated mic. The audio is in Portuguese, but using auto-translated captions works well enough to understand (measurements begin at 7:15).

Top Bottom