• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith HTP-1 AV Processor Measurements (June 2023 Firmware + User Testing)

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don’t forget Stormaudio. Fully digital. And you get Dirac ART.

Yeah, for four to six times the price there are other options. Curious for a review from a crazy picky person. I'd expect perfection plus unique and useful features at that price range.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no "b" model. Current models (may) have an DSP board with flash memory chip from a different manufacturer, that's all. That caused an issue with firmware update failing effecting Dirac, it was quickly fixed 3 months ago.
That is great to know, thanks! I'll have to get one if I can't resolve these insane SDP55 issues.

TimoJ

Yeah, for four to six times the price there are other options. Curious for a review from a crazy picky person. I'd expect perfection plus unique and useful features at that price range.
You would expect perfection but for some reason StormAudio has no loudness or something similar. I think there's the same problem with Trinnov.

Yes, you can use EQ/PEQ but that is not the same as volume tracking and adjustable loudness (and HTP-1 has also selectable "vintage" loudness curve besides the regular ISO 226:2003, I very much prefer the vintage one).

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You would expect perfection but for some reason StormAudio has no loudness or something similar. I think there's the same problem with Trinnov.

Yes, you can use EQ/PEQ but that is not the same as volume tracking and adjustable loudness (and HTP-1 has also selectable "vintage" loudness curve besides the regular ISO 226:2003, I very much prefer the vintage one).

I suspect a disproportionate number of owners of $10k+ processors have dedicated rooms like this:

Where you might be listening a reference level all the time, even if your reference level is not THX/Dolby spec.

The HTP-1 has its flaws, but it really is an enthusiasts’ choice as long as you don’t need AES/Dante.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There were was a list of digital options. Stormaudio has a working one. No mention of price and Trinnov was listed but does not have a working digital equivalent yet.
As a Storm user it does have several unique and useful features, bullet proof operation, excellent warranty and incredible support. And if you find a good dealer to work with, list price is not or should not be what you pay.
You are correct. I don’t miss loudness because of the remote app that has quick access to tone controls which I actually prefer. Missing bass, just bump up the sub or bass level. Trinnov has neither loudness function or any tone controls.
A9349F45-44F1-4D2A-8DE6-00ABDAAF10DC.png

Beast76

I'm not looking for a signal quality improvement as it should be mostly transparent, but the loudness compensation on the Monoprice should be noticeable.

Does the Monoprice have per channel vu meters?

I miss that from my Dolby SDP564.
Yes - the vu meters are per channel (It’s in the custom ui, not the factory ui)

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - the vu meters are per channel (It’s in the custom ui, not the factory ui)
The VU meters only show peaks though, right? Or does the custom UI have animated VU meters somewhere?

laurelkurt

Forum Donor

Where are selectable loudness controls located? Mine is new but I don't see any such options.

Beast76

Where are selectable loudness controls located? Mine is new but I don't see any such options.
Make sure you’ve got the most recent firmware loaded (1.10), then go to the custom web interface (youripaddress/custom) and you’ll see the loudness options.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks. Sorry for being helpless. I'm in the custom UI but, I can't find the VU meter settings. Can you tell how to find it?
It’s under volume settings and then you have to go to the very bottom and it’s there.

No worries, I could t find it myself either the first time.

Beast76

It’s under volume settings and then you have to go to the very bottom and it’s there.

No worries, I could t find it myself either the first time.
You also need to enable the advanced settings at the top of the screen before you see the VU meter options

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpeg
    IMG_0272.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 72

Magnus

I love the volume pricing deals on there! If I buy 1, it's $3999.99. If I buy 50+, it drops way down to $3999.99. :D

mongobot

Forum Donor

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There were was a list of digital options. Stormaudio has a working one. No mention of price and Trinnov was listed but does not have a working digital equivalent yet.
As a Storm user it does have several unique and useful features, bullet proof operation, excellent warranty and incredible support. And if you find a good dealer to work with, list price is not or should not be what you pay.

You are correct. I don’t miss loudness because of the remote app that has quick access to tone controls which I actually prefer. Missing bass, just bump up the sub or bass level. Trinnov has neither loudness function or any tone controls.
Well, if the Monoprice works as expected it will save the hobby for me and I'll have an immersive surround sound system I enjoy at any volume level without having to change an EQ for each discreet volume level.

Sonos speakers put most to shame at low volume levels, so I guess I'm no longer interested in the Trinnov, and the JBL SDP 55/58 isn't suitable for Dante use until they fix Harman Issue Number IMS0024523.

If there are issues with the Monoprice HTP 1, nothing above that price point will be worth it for me if it's missing features of lower price point units.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, if the Monoprice works as expected it will save the hobby for me and I'll have an immersive surround sound system I enjoy at any volume level without having to change an EQ for each discreet volume level.

Sonos speakers put most to shame at low volume levels, so I guess I'm no longer interested in the Trinnov, and the JBL SDP 55/58 isn't suitable for Dante use until they fix Harman Issue Number IMS0024523.

If there are issues with the Monoprice HTP 1, nothing above that price point will be worth it for me if it's missing features of lower price point units.
Monoprice has a good return policy. Might as well try it and share your thoughts.

Once you update, keep in mind that ipaddress/custom

Works on the official firmware

Edit: I should add that I was somewhat skeptical and told @jhaider than I would probably buy a Marantz AV10 if they were equal in price, but having owned the HTP-1, I admit I am wrong and the HTP-1 is pretty spectacular as long as 16 channels is enough.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice has a good return policy. Might as well try it and share your thoughts.

Once you update, keep in mind that ipaddress/custom

Works on the official firmware

Edit: I should add that I was somewhat skeptical and told @jhaider than I would probably buy a Marantz AV10 if they were equal in price, but having owned the HTP-1, I admit I am wrong and the HTP-1 is pretty spectacular as long as 16 channels is enough.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Might look at the modified firmware I keep hearing about too if it doesn't seem too risky... I loved Android back when I was using CyanogenMod and LineageOS.

OP
G

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I'll check that out.

Might look at the modified firmware I keep hearing about too if it doesn't seem too risky... I loved Android back when I was using CyanogenMod and LineageOS.
You don’t need modified firmware anymore. That’s what is awesome.

Monolith adopted it into their official release!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don’t need modified firmware anymore. That’s what is awesome.

Monolith adopted it into their official release!
But on the other hand... they didn't fix it themselves in a timely manner. Where would the product be without the custom firmware made by a user?

Descartes

Major Contributor
104.98 dB
1 kHz SINAD at 1.9V
10Hz to 22.4 kHz bandwidth
96 kHz sampling rate
HTP-1 set for 2.2V maximum output level
View attachment 307482
HDMI, 2.2V peak, 10Hz to 22.4 kHz bandwidth

At maximum output level of 2.2V nominal, I was able to get 104.53 dB at 1.448V which increased to 104.98 dB at 1.9V and ultimately finishing at 104.9 dB at 2.3V.

I believe 104 dB was the highest SINAD recorded here by @amirm with the AVR-X8500H with the original AKM DAC at 1.45V. To be fair, the Denon did that with unbalanced output as compared to the HTP-1 with balanced output.

@amirm, this is a record breaker for a 16-channel processor for highest SINAD at any level using a plain laptop HDMI output (with the laptop even plugged into AC power).

At the relaxed standard of 20Hz to 20 kHz bandwidth, trying to break the 105 dB barrier, I was able to get this:

View attachment 307487

So again, the HTP-1 has the highest measured performance of any 16-channel processor measured here to date. The Marantz AV10 should have higher SINAD, but no one has sent one in yet.

The HTP-1 is a bargain if you need its features and have an amplifier with sufficient gain.
I wonder how the ANTHEM AVM90 compares?

Top Bottom