• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ask me questions.

nawfal07

I would hope that I didn't inspire such hyperbole. Although, I would obviously appreciate some improvement, "thoroughly inferior" was not the sentiment I I sought to convey. The trade off between performance and the mild inconvenience of having to adjust the angle, and a few repeated button pushes, has not stopped me from stacking one Topping "atop" another. If you are dissuaded, then you are more easily deterred then I.

I'm not talking about functionality, I always make sure I understand what I'm buying before deciding has always been. My issue is with products dying after a couple of months i.e. PA5, and then again happening with the LA90D that I almost click "Place Order". That is not hyperbole. Now I'm not quick to judge, I really want to buy the LA90D which is why I've asked here in the aptly titled "ask me questions" thread. If it got ignored, how is that going to regain my confidence? I would like to support Topping because of their excellent products otherwise I will not be considering the LA90D, but I also have to protect my investments.

dartinbout

I'm not talking about functionality, I always make sure I understand what I'm buying before deciding has always been. My issue is with products dying after a couple of months i.e. PA5, and then again happening with the LA90D that I almost click "Place Order". That is not hyperbole. Now I'm not quick to judge, I really want to buy the LA90D which is why I've asked here in the aptly titled "ask me questions" thread. If it got ignored, how is that going to regain my confidence? I would like to support Topping because of their excellent products otherwise I will not be considering the LA90D, but I also have to protect my invest
The inherent issue at hand then is the inability to filter the signal to noise. The signal (in this belabored metaphor) is the number of Topping products that haven't failed versus the "noise" of those that have. Personally, the only problem I have with Topping products is one of my own making. I opened a DX7 Pro, to swap opamps, and messed up a ribbon connector. I'm not sure this thread is about "regaining your confidence". That would appear to be a problem in your own capacity for comparative analysis of consumer products and risk assessments.

nawfal07

I asked a question to @JohnYang1997 , regaining my confidence is something I could get from his answer. I don't know why you're trying to explain away on his behalf, you're not helping one bit.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I asked a question to @JohnYang1997 , regaining my confidence is something I could get from his answer. I don't know why you're trying to explain away on his behalf, you're not helping one bit.
On the other hand there's a saying in Bahrain (if I remember well) that freely translated says that trust don't use tongue,only hands.
So...

dartinbout

I just don't think he cares enough about your individual confidence. I know I wouldn't. You are looking for reassurances where no other company would provide .You may have to learn to change your own nappy. I, however, am immensely enjoying making "sport " of your wishful postings. Please continue with your petulance.

nawfal07

I just don't think he cares enough about your individual confidence. I know I wouldn't. You are looking for reassurances where no other company would provide .You may have to learn to change your own nappy. I, however, am immensely enjoying making "sport " of your wishful postings. Please continue with your petulance.

It's obvious that you're being petulant, why are you bothered with my questions in a "ask me questions" thread, for a specific person? What's the point of creating a thread with that title?

Do you have personal issues that you're mad with me for asking a question? What did I do to you? Grow up.

Is not only me asking this, read the thread.

Lräk

Congrats, PA5 II is out!! Again, can’t decide on regular or plus! I may get both!
The PA5 II Plus is the same power output as the original PA5 for $329 which is $20 less than the original PA5.

It already shows up on Amazon!!!

Last edited:

Eldus

Congrats, PA5 II is out!! Again, can’t decide on regular or plus! I may get both!
What about those with the original PA5, is it not just a matter of time before they die due to the potting? Will the PA5II be offered to those customers?

Toku

Major Contributor
Topping's technical staff is very young. Therefore, due to lack of experience, mistakes such as those that occurred with the previous model PA5 can be made.
But I don't think they will make the same mistake. Making the same mistake is not acceptable as an engineer.
I believe that the new model PA5 ll/Plus is a product that has evolved based on that failure experience, and I have high hopes for it.

On the contrary, I'm worried that there are many irresponsible statements in ASR recently, like SNS in the Internet society.

Casper

I have a question about the PA5 II. Why no remote control for the volume? If I could control the volume remotely, I would could get rid of my preamp. I only need two inputs--one for my DAC and one for my phono preamp. I wouldn't even mind having to switch between sources at the unit because I rarely listen to records and I need to be in front of it anyway to put on the record. But for my lazy ass not wanting to get out of my listening chair to adjust the volume, this product would be perfect!

Toku

Major Contributor
I have a question about the PA5 II. Why no remote control for the volume? If I could control the volume remotely, I would could get rid of my preamp. I only need two inputs--one for my DAC and one for my phono preamp. I wouldn't even mind having to switch between sources at the unit because I rarely listen to records and I need to be in front of it anyway to put on the record. But for my lazy ass not wanting to get out of my listening chair to adjust the volume, this product would be perfect!
The PA5 ll/Plus uses a tiny analogue volume pot that can only be adjusted by hand.
A digitally controlled electronic volume IC is used for amplifier products that can be adjusted with a remote control. NJW1194 made by JRC is mainly used for it.
However, there are many audiophiles who criticize the use of this electronic volume, saying that it is disadvantageous to the sound quality. Also, I think that the manufacturers of models like the PA5 ll/Plus, which compete for THD+N performance, dared to avoid using an electronic volume control.
Most amplifier products connect DAC to the input, and most DAC can adjust volume level using remote control. Therefore, there is little need to add a remote control function to the amplifier side.
By the way, like you, I would like the PA5 ll to have an electronic volume control.

Casper

The PA5 ll/Plus uses a tiny analogue volume pot that can only be adjusted by hand.
A digitally controlled electronic volume IC is used for amplifier products that can be adjusted with a remote control. NJW1194 made by JRC is mainly used for it.
However, there are many audiophiles who criticize the use of this electronic volume, saying that it is disadvantageous to the sound quality. Also, I think that the manufacturers of models like the PA5 ll/Plus, which compete for THD+N performance, dared to avoid using an electronic volume control.
Most amplifier products connect DAC to the input, and most DAC can adjust volume level using remote control. Therefore, there is little need to add a remote control function to the amplifier side.
By the way, like you, I would like the PA5 ll to have an electronic volume control.

I was thinking more like the electro-mechanical volume controls that are physically turned by an electric motor. I used to have a receiver that did that and I always thought it was cool to watch the big knob turn. Another implementation is the stepped attenuator with a bank of relays like the Schiit Freya S (which also has an electro-mechanical control that spins the volume knob). I think that implementation is fine from an engineering standpoint but less elegant due the click click click sound it makes when it turns.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
My test files I created using HQPlayer Pro version (pkane knows this software).

Upsampling REW PCM test files to DSD

But yes Multitone Analayzer is a good all in one to test DSD256 @JohnYang1997

From what I saw with broken DSD output performance, no DSD output analogue measurements were done

Hopefully Topping can actually test in design and QA/QC

Especially broken has been DSD Direct mode topping DACs - ess no issues
1000493821.png
1000493820.png
1000493819.png

No issue found. Good performance as expected.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I also think a lot of the Chinese manufacturers (Topping included) started to publish their AP measurements as part of their marketing. I don't know what was the motive behind it, but I want to say maybe because the Chinese manufacturers doesn't have the brand recognition like the western brands, so the measurements is an objective way to flex engineering muscle. I also feel that Chinese manufacturers have historically suffered a bad rep as copy cats, low quality, etc. so by showing their measurements helps rehabilitate this reputation. It worked and the rest is history.

@JohnYang1997 I have few critiques of Chinese manufactures:

1) Chinese manufacturers are designing their product based on Chinese HiFi culture and taste. Consider doing a feedback from western customers only and build products specifically for the west. Many western customers live in a house, they don't have to listen to headphones or worry about disturbing their neighbors, we want big power and big volume because we have big speakers. We want a high power, power amp only product, basically take the LA90, turn it into a power amp only, make it 150wpc to 200wpc @8ohms and put the power supply inside the unit. And some of us have big HiFi racks, space is not an issue for us and prefer 430mm wide components to match with other components.

2) No local support. The 3 biggest Chinese HiFi retailer, Aoshida, Shenzhenaudio and Apos; two of them are located in China, so dealing with overseas sellers is a bit challenging in terms of product warranty claims, etc. Not sure what you can do about this.

3) A lot of the Chinese HiFi products suffer bugs and issues. For example, the LA90 issues people are referring to here. I personally am on my 3rd SMSL DA-9 and my previous D70, Bluetooth gets locked by my neighbor, and I can't connect to it. I advise you take more time to do QA during product development, don't rush to the market. Every time Amir does a review of Chinese HiFi, he caveats it that he can only vouch on the measured performance and not the reliability, presumably, he does not want people to complain to him if the products he recommends have bugs and other issues.
1) It's not that we are based on Chinese Hifi culture or tastes. It's difficult to design high power amplifiers and even more so with power supply built in. It's expensive to do everything when things are big and heavy. And higher the power more things could go wrong. We are only slowly climbing in power.
2) Every region has a local reseller. As said before, addicted to audio for AU and NZ, audiophonics for EU. We want to get more better local resellers but it's a slow process.
3) I'm not sure what you mean by "locked" by your neighbors. There are ways to reset Bluetooth. You may ask our customer service for more information. On the rush on the market issue. It's a matter of live or dead. More time is not the way to go but more testings and more ways to test also continued testing after on sale is the way to go. The market is really difficult last two years you either go with it or fade out.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Remember to take care of yourself and enjoy your free time. I loved servicing mechatronics and I became a workaholic As a example I worked 74 hours per week one year and the next year I worked 72 hours per week on average. At the end I was burnt out for sure. I'll never do that again. It's very unhealthy. I still have the scar on my forehead where I fainted from over-exertion and hit my head on a bathroom sink. So don't repeat that if you can and take time off regularly. :D You only get to be young once and burning up all that energy on work is not the optimum situation I think.
For sure.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

@JohnYang1997
Thank you for reply. I have more questions.

1. What DAC digital filters(ex. fast linear roll off...)are provided by default with the product? Is it recommended by the chip manufacturer? Or is it a topping recommendation?

2.What is your personal favorite digital filter?

3.When I use the L70 as a preamplifier, if the volume value difference between the headphone output and the preamplifier is large (for example, the headphone volume value is -50db, but the preamplifier is -0db), the headphone makes a popping sound when switching the output. So my ears hurt.
Is this normal in terms of product structure?
1 Most of the time fast roll-off linear.
2 Fast roll-off linear
3 Try update to the newest firmware. I remember one solves the issue.

OP
JohnYang1997

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Will Toppping develop a usb digital interface ('U90 II') with volume knob, for monitors with digital inputs such as genelec, neumann, hedd, dynaudio ?
Will consider it. In fact there were people talking about it when U90 was initially released. Will do it when the time is right. Too many other things to do.

abc1234

1000014366.jpg

1000014379.jpg

@JohnYang1997 Thank you so much for the answer!

I purchased the pa7 plus this time and completed the E70 + L70 + PA7 PLUS stack.
And stacked as shown in the photo.
However, the pa7 plus generates more heat than I expected. Is it okay to use it like this?
I'm afraid the L70 won't break by heat.

Top Bottom