• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Please, for the love of God - Help me. Revel Performa 3 M106.

SabreVenga

As green as green can be here. I know nothing. And I mean -anything- I don't know what a DAC is, Amplifier, aren't they for guitars? Pre-Amp? Sub? Please help me I'm stressed beyond belief.

I've bought a Revel Performa 3 M106 - No clue if it's any good but heard good things and I'm impulsive. I know so far that they are... passive? So I need to power them? I guess.

So I need an amplifier? The question is, what amplifier? The instruction manual say's basically 'get this right' but doesn't give... any recommendations?

So, my most pressing questions;

- How do I power these speakers appropriately without spending an arm and a leg?
- How do I connect the 'amplifier' to the speakers. Why are there a million different varieties of plugs? Banana? Spade? Raw wire? How on Earth would I do raw wire?

Please help me. Assume I know -nothing-

I'd really like actual direct recommendations on what to buy. If you lead this horse to water it will drink.

Thank you so much.

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

Also if I have an amplifier, will I also need a streamer? The Hell is a streamer? Can I not just play things through Bluetooth + TIDAL off my phone?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know nothing
I Jon, long time no see. I can imagine you feel like this:

200.gif

;)

Don't worry, knowing nothing, is much preferred to knowing the wrong things.

As for your speakers: they should be a good choice, so not to worry!

So, you will need an amplifier to power them, and some kind of source to get the music from. There are a million options, and they are all a bit different. So before recommending anything, lay out how you intend to listen to music? What sources do you have? You mentioned Tidal and a phone? Is that all?

A streamer is a device that acts as a device that receives a music stream from the internet and then plays it. Some are digital only, others have a build in digital to analog converter (DAC), and some even have an amplifier. Generally, this is a preferred way vs Bluetooth, because it does not degrade the sound quality as much as Bluetooth does.

Having said all this, you may want to have a look at the WiiM amp. It's not very expensive and would be an all-in-one package. It even supports Bluetooth, if you would still prefer to use that.

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

I Jon, long time no see. I can imagine you feel like this:

200.gif

;)

Don't worry, knowing nothing, is much preferred to knowing the wrong things.

As for your speakers: they should be a good choice, so not to worry!

So, you will need an amplifier to power them, and some kind of source to get the music from. There are a million options, and they are all a bit different. So before recommending anything, lay out how you intend to listen to music? What sources do you have? You mentioned Tidal and a phone? Is that all?

A streamer is a device that acts as a device that receives a music stream from the internet and then plays it. Some are digital only, others have a build in digital to analog converter (DAC), and some even have an amplifier. Generally, this is a preferred way vs Bluetooth, because it does not degrade the sound quality as much as Bluetooth does.

Having said all this, you may want to have a look at the WiiM amp. It's not very expensive and would be an all-in-one package. It even supports Bluetooth, if you would still prefer to use that.
Okay, thank you so much for replying firstly.

So, the WiiM amp will do... everything? It has a built in DAC? So I can connect my phone to the WiiM and then play music and that will feed into the speakers and keep the music clean and reasonably loud?

I've been reading about matching ohms impedance? What does this mean? And wattage to output or something?

I don't mind stretching my budget a little, but this WiiM looks the part honestly. It'll come with a remote control? You're a legend thank you again.

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

Okay so I bought the WiiM amp. Thanks a lot for that. How do I connect it to the speakers when it comes? For the 'purest' sound?

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is there a difference between the banana and the spade?
Yes, you can see the two types at either end of the cables I linked. Your speakers appear to be able to accept either. Assuming the banana end fit into the WiiM amp, I'd connect the other end to speakers via spades. It will also work in the opposite orientation: spade end at the WiiM, bananas at the speakers. Avoid the "pin" connector.
115177.image0.jpg

Pin - Spade - Banana

If you can get away with a slightly shorter cable, I also like these:

UCINNOVATE 2 Pack HiFi OFC Speaker Cable with Banana Plug to Jumper Spade, Banana Plug to U Fork Plug 14AWG Speaker Wire Cord Jumper Bridge Cable for Speaker Amplifier (6.56FT)

Last edited:
OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

I wouldn't recommend those to someone new to this as they can easily short.
It's better to be insulated bananas on both ends.

I should probably add also, I live in an extremely rural part of the UK and my cottage is prone to power cuts. So.

Can someone recommend me cables :(

Sokel

Master Contributor
I should probably add also, I live in an extremely rural part of the UK and my cottage is prone to power cuts. So.

Can someone recommend me cables :(
What will be the distance from the speaker to the amp?
(including angles,elevations,etc for maybe hide them,etc,better measure it with a cord to be sure)

Bear in mind that speaker cables are thick,is not like a lamp cord for example.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As green as green can be here. I know nothing. And I mean -anything- I don't know what a DAC is, Amplifier, aren't they for guitars? Pre-Amp? Sub? Please help me I'm stressed beyond belief.

I've bought a Revel Performa 3 M106 - No clue if it's any good but heard good things and I'm impulsive. I know so far that they are... passive? So I need to power them? I guess.

So I need an amplifier? The question is, what amplifier? The instruction manual say's basically 'get this right' but doesn't give... any recommendations?

So, my most pressing questions;

- How do I power these speakers appropriately without spending an arm and a leg?
- How do I connect the 'amplifier' to the speakers. Why are there a million different varieties of plugs? Banana? Spade? Raw wire? How on Earth would I do raw wire?

Please help me. Assume I know -nothing-

I'd really like actual direct recommendations on what to buy. If you lead this horse to water it will drink.

Thank you so much.

So far you've done well: when it comes to equipment, starting with the speakers is a good idea. Now back to the top end of the chain: what source will your music come from? Streaming is popular these days vs. buying physical product like CD or LPs, do you expect to take this route?

There are many, many options for streaming, both regarding providers and equipment Do you have streaming providers that you are using or appeal to you? Looks like you're considering your phone phone as streaming at the moment which, I suppose, is an OK place to start though I don't think you'll be getting "CD quality" or better from that.

Last edited:
OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

What will be the distance from the speaker to the amp?
(including angles,elevations,etc for maybe hide them,etc,better measure it with a cord to be sure)

Bear in mind that speaker cables are thick,is not like a lamp cord for example.

Not far at all, I'd say half a meter either side of the amp? I'm going to have the speakers on my desk

OP
SabreVenga

SabreVenga

So far you've done well: when it comes to equipment, starting with the speakers is a good idea. Now back to the top end of the chain: what source will your music come from? Streaming is popular these days vs. buying physical product like CD or LPs, do you expect to take this route?

There are many, many options for streaming, both regarding providers and equipment. Do you have streaming providers that you are using or appeal to you?

TIDAL mostly, and I'll go back to Spotify at the weekends for the Discover Weekly and Release Radar. I've heard good things about ROON? I'll be almost exclusively streaming, no CD's or Vinyl's or anything physical, those days are behind me

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
Why waste $60 on 2 meters of cable... you can have the same result for way less. just get some decent copper lamp cord, at least 2.5mm^2.
Why look at the low end?Others pay $2000 :p

(lamp cord is nasty sometimes,doesn't stay where you put it,does not look nice and for a new one to this is easy to short things with this,better stay careless.That's why I choose insulated stuff))

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You are heading towards a nice system :)

Quick sense check: when you are connecting your Speakers to your Amp turn the Amp off first (unplug it). Easiest way to avoid any problems if you accidentally touch live cables. It's not dangerous to you, but it's not good for the equipment.

Top Bottom