• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Are you a current Denon/Marantz AVR Owner and if so what do you think of Audyssey's MultEQ-X?

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I've already purchased it.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable. I’m willing to spend the money once I learn more.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower is better.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable.

• I'm not a current Denon/Marantz AVR owner. $200 price is too high. Anything lower lower is better.

• I'm a current AVR owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• I'm not an owner. $200 price is acceptable, but I don't like the restrictive terms. Wont buy.

• Other (please explain).

Results are only viewable after voting.

prerich

Looks exactly like their App which I have in my Apple tablet I bought for just that reason. Guess they just wanted to allow Window based computers to use it which they should have done from the start. Still have my Pro kit in the closet too, not sure what I can do with that and the Marantz 8805 I have now.
Nope its way different than your Apple or my Android app. It's far more detailed in what it can do. It's also more user friendly during measurements. It's more like your Pro kit than anything. I have both the app (android) and the Windows app. With the windows app, you can also see each individual measurement taken at each position. Say an airplane flew over your home while taking a measurement - you can now get rid of just that one measurement and retake it, instead of starting the entire process over again. You can add butterworth or Linkwitz filters along with a slew of others...and that's just the beginning.

prerich

Denon already killed the product before it launched. It's $200 per AVR and is non-transferable and only works on a PC.
What a bunch of crap. Where is my Dirac. :D
I started to take the Dirac plunge, I still thinking about buying the PC version and set it up as a VST in JRiver. I'm not going to buy a new prepro just for Dirac. Shout out to Dirac for the PC option!

prerich

I don't see anything fair about this entire product. Sound United ties the useful life of the $200 software package to a single AVR. That's absolutely crazy. Nobody wants to buy software with a life limited to a receiver that goes out of phase every few years. Then, they do not support UMIK, don't support currently available curve formats, and build in the BBC curve that everyone hates. There is no recognition that you already paid a boatload for the AVR. To encourage customers to buy more product it should be able to be used on new units as well. The marketing scheme is terrible and the copy protection means you can't use it off line.

It's as if this product is not from Denon/Marantz but instead from a 3rd party that's trying to build a software business off receivers. I can't imagine anyone wanting to be taken advantage of by this sales scheme. You are better off spending the $200 toward the biggest Tablet you can get and use the $20 app. This gives Onkyo/Pioneer/Integra integrated Dirac a big advantage. If I was selling those brands I would advertise Dirac like crazy. :D
The BBC curve is easy to get rid of - just delete the MRC tab. You can build the Harman curve using the tilt option tab (or any number of curves with the other tabs). Yes you must be logged in to use it, however since I only use it at home - i'm always connected and logged in to my microsoft account. I don't have to connect to the AVR to make adjustments to my curves and settings. I must connect to send them to the prepro. The other things you mention are spot on...and I hate. I bought it because I don't see buying another 8k capable prepro anytime soon. I own the $20 app as well and the Windows version does way more than the Android app (it had better for 10x's the price).
Dirac is a better option unless you don't have $4k+ for a prepro that has it. I'm still getting used to it, and I'm still thinking about purchasing a Dirac license for my PC....yes....Dirac rules.

prerich

I think they did say they would make exceptions for failed avr's. But I could be wrong.
Yes, there's an exception for failed AVR's and Prepros.
How did the authorisation worked? It has to know the computer somehow doesn't it?

Not it wasn't. I was only trying to explain that such licenses exists, not whether it is OK or not.
it's not the computer...it's the microsoft account that you log into. I have it on a desktop and a laptop. As long as I'm signed into my Microsoft account, I can use it. The hardware that's tracked is the AVR or Prepro.

prerich

iTunes "knew" you by your iCloud ID, called Apple ID then I think. As to how it worked, no idea. It just worked.

I'm curious - what consumer-facing software costs $3k? I mean today, not in 1985.

Also, nobody disputes that such licenses "exist." If SU didn't choose this path we wouldn't be discussing!

The irony here is that the previous advanced Audssey product, the iOS App, has a best-of-both-worlds license: you can use it on multiple Audyssey-equipped devices AND it's portable as you upgrade your phone hardware. Frankly from what I’ve seen so far it’s the better product, too. This one seems to forsake modern features such as fitting the response to a target curve in favor of basic PEQ. (The miniDSP equivalent, BTW, is 10x10HD not DDRC-88). I guess some people like that. I don’t. This one also does not improve bass management either from what I could see, which is a huge disappointment as IMO Audyssey lags behind DLBC, ARC Genesis, and RoomPerfect there.

Ahem. See one of my posts above. OK, I think both of those were technically “CSL Calibrated Dayton EMM-6 into Focusrite interface” measurements, but close enough.

Bottom line is surveys show that the included mic allows Audyssey to fit the in room response of good speakers to their chosen target curve within the measured area.*

*I intentionally make no effort to sample the measurement points. I take samples within the same measured area. If the system is worth a damn it should provide stable results at any random set of control points within the measured area.

While I think it makes sense from a marketing perspective to let people use fancier mics, the audible benefit is likely just that you stop hearing people talk about the issue.
It's not just an iOS app....you can use it in Android as well:)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I haven't. I had looked into it in the past but for me it didn't offer all of the control I wanted.
I would only add that this software really is early in it's development process.
If I were you, I would put together a list of the controls you desire and see what time brings.
From what I've seen (haven't purchased it yet) it appears they have been very responsive to requests from the Editor app users.

TimVG

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What other controls would you like to have? There are a lot of options in the curve design section - you really have to drill down to see all that it offers. I'm actually using a tilt curve on one preset to give me a curve like the Harman curve. I'm still experimenting and asking question over at Audyssey.

I would only add that this software really is early in it's development process.
If I were you, I would put together a list of the controls you desire and see what time brings.
From what I've seen (haven't purchased it yet) it appears they have been very responsive to requests from the Editor app users.

My comment was about the android/iPad app. I'm pretty happy with the windows software, wouldn't have bought it otherwise. :) There's some things I'd like to see different but it's mostly interface related, such as sorting curves/PEQ options per speaker instead if bunching them all up together.

prerich

@Zedly , maybe I miss smth, In the set-up -I mean this option [available in on-screen and manual menu, and ipad app]View attachment 180899

vs

View attachment 180904
I would not have any problem, but the RESULTS are just really bad. I know from the experience that all is good with 120-125 cm relative distance. If I can get green curve in Ipad app [by ALWAYS needing to adjust relative distance] , why should I bother to use 200USD version, that gives me purple curve .... Should not Subwoofer and Bass correction be real bread and butter of any DRC?
View attachment 180905

Thanks in advance, for any advice, maybe even somebody from Audyssey coming here to check ;-)

and these are the filters to get to this glorious purple wave - adding 10dB on 70Hz ...... and still getting this ......

View attachment 180920
In your last screenshot the green trace is your subwoofer's measured response, (you have a huge notch at 72hz) . The purple trace is the applied filter (tried to get rid of the notch). Change your HF Limit on your sub it's filtering full range. The yellow trace is the resulting response with the filter applied. I'll post my sub response this evening so you can get an ideal.

prerich

58 vs 60Hz - probably not, but to have option to cross-over speakers, that go to down to 25Hz at 30Hz instead of 40Hz would be nice. Also to choose crossover order - might be different between ported vs sealed speakers/subwoofers. And of course - another probably meaningless tweak possibility ;-), that we crave for.

As a side note: I have Denon 8500 in my secondary system, and Audyssey with Ipad App always gets the relative subs distance and crossovers wrong. Using identical Height Speakers and difference in proposed Xover is 20Hz. Same for relative subs distance.

Just asking.
Initially, the Windows app wanted to cross my mains at 20hz :facepalm::rolleyes::D....did they measure that low....yes...yes they did. However I'm part of the set all speakers to small and cross at 80hz camp.

prerich

pffffffffffff - this app is one real piece of shit, no offence. I am not easily offended, but this is really really bad.
Go and donate to charity of your choice, do not even bother to give it a chance.

1) does not allow to chnage relative distance of subwoofers [as opposed to manual and app set-up
2) sends completely wrong data to AVR - computer vs AVR

View attachment 180807
vs
View attachment 180809

but worst of all

this is the result - subs blue - 20 dollars app vs red 200USD app.
View attachment 180811
I'm going to try this tonight. P.S. I need to see the bottom part of your graph for hz.

ABQdude

Forum Donor
Just as a FYI, I am a Mac user on Monterey 12.1 on my iMac Pro (Intel-based) and have successfully used MultEQ-X via the free version of VMWare Fusion 12.2.1 virtualization and Windows 11. I too would rather have a Mac native program though.
As a follow-up to this post, I did an "Ask Audyssey" question about the eventual Mac version of the app:

"I have purchased and really like the new program for my Denon X6700H. I am a Mac user but this runs great in VM Fusion with Windows 11. When you do port this program to the macOS, will I be able to switch from the Windows version to the native Mac version without having to re-purchase it? Hope so. Thanks and I anxiously await your adding in importing curves."

They responded very quickly back:

"Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad to hear that's working for you.
If/when we port to Mac, you will definitely NOT need to repurchase.
Importing EQ is coming soon!"

So good news for us Mac users that would like MultEQ-X in a native Mac OS!

Datec

Initially, the Windows app wanted to cross my mains at 20hz :facepalm::rolleyes::D....did they measure that low....yes...yes they did. However I'm part of the set all speakers to small and cross at 80hz camp.
Every calibration I played with sets mine to large and down low, but my Triads require them to be set to small and they also recommend crossing over at 80htz.

luft262

I have a few questions, maybe some of you know the answers:

1. How many manual PEQ filters does the new MultEQ-X app allow you to add?
2. Can you add them at any frequency from basically 10Hz to 20kHz?
3. Can you upload your current Audyssey reference measurements into it from the AVR or Android/Apple EQ app or do you have to take all new baseline measurements?
*4. This is a general question...Why does it seem like calibration software always wants to set speaker crossovers as low as possible? Why doesn't it cross them over at say 80Hz or 120Hz. For example, my mains are Focal 926's and they might be able to play down to about 40Hz and that is usually where both my old Onkyo AVR and my new Denon AVR will cross them over if left to its own devices. However, from REW/UMik-1 measurements I know that for my room a crossover of 120Hz is flatter with fewer room modes etc. So why do the AVR softwares always want to cross over so low?

Thanks everyone!

D

Deleted member 43441

I had to vote other, and I’m not up on Audyssey all that much.

I have a Marantz AV 8801 with XT32 and I doubt this will be available for my AVR. I continue to hang onto it because I never upgraded from my existing 9.1.3 setup, and Marantz actually posted real specs for my prepro AFAIK.

Anyway I have been thinking about upgrading recently.

What do others think of the new Audyssey when they used it?

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every calibration I played with sets mine to large and down low, but my Triads require them to be set to small and they also recommend crossing over at 80htz.
Pretty much everyone should use small if they are using subwoofers. Think of it as "Bass Management On/Off" instead of the "Small/Large" nonsense.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This generally happens due to SBIR -- reinforcement of bass output due to proximity of front wall to speakers.

Ignore what the software says, use 80 Hz or thereabouts if that's what your speakers' actual FR capability suggests.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I had to vote other, and I’m not up on Audyssey all that much.

I have a Marantz AV 8801 with XT32 and I doubt this will be available for my AVR. I continue to hang onto it because I never upgraded from my existing 9.1.3 setup, and Marantz actually posted real specs for my prepro AFAIK.

Anyway I have been thinking about upgrading recently.

What do others think of the new Audyssey when they used it?

The AV8801 does not work with the Android/IOS and wondows app. That's one of the reasons I replaced it with the AVR-X4400H. Have been using the AV8801 in my 2 channel system but finally let it go a couple weeks ago.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
The AV8801 does not work with the Android/IOS and wondows app.
Humm, Marantz says it does work with the Andriod/IOS Editor app ??

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So who's list is right? LOL
If peng actually tried it and it didn't work,, I guess yours is. o_O

Top Bottom