• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Bob Dylan is more of a poet than a musician. A lot of his "lyrics" are deliberately obscure, though some are not. Some are more like jokes, but his reputation often prevents people from laughing at them. The quote at the bottom of this page is from "Mississippi", a song of his which appears in various forms - the "official" version is on "Love and Theft", three alternate (and quite different) arrangements on "Tell Tale Signs", and there's a couple of rocking versions by The Chicks and Sheryl Crow, among others. On the other hand, I always though this lyric is about the sort of memory loss associated with old age:

"I can't even remember what it was I came here to get away from."

One of my favorite examples of Dylan's "obscure" lyrics is "Highlands", in a way a nod to Robert Burns, in a way pointing to his own reputation as an artist and making a joke about it.
Are there any catchy danceable Bob Dylan songs? Anything worthy of mention for a newbie to Dylan.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Wiggle Wiggle?

Subterranean Homesick Blues, maybe.

CapMan

Major Contributor
The whole bluegrass thing was off-putting until my mid '20s and then I began to love it starting with John Hartford. I got bored and really never warmed up to '70s Progressive Rock and switched to Jazz/Rock fusion starting with Pat Metheny Group and Weather Report and became big Jazz fan loving most genres until this day.
I had a Hayseed Dixie phase for a while, but over it now :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Hayseed Dixie phase for a while, but over it now :)
Actually it was mostly a phase for me too but a later friend really loved it so he enjoyed my collection and knowledge. Jazz has remained a passion.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Are there any catchy danceable Bob Dylan songs? Anything worthy of mention for a newbie to Dylan.
I don't think so. Any catchy danceable Tim Buckley? (probably, come to think of it). Nick Drake? Leonard Cohen?

Mind you, this (arguably):

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bob Dylan is more of a poet than a musician.

My reaction to hearing Dylan was always being put off by his voice and not finding his songs interesting. People would say, “ but he’s a poet listen to his lyrics!””

My reply was, fine. I wish he’d stick to writing poems rather than trying to sing the words.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor

Linkin Park First time I heard them on the radio I thought they were to Rapie for me. I was wrong.

Boston. Every song sounded the same. I was right about that but I didn’t think they would blow up like they did.

Yanni. I initially thought it was all synth artificial stuff. They we went to a live performance…Full Orchestra all real music I was blown away.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a band, but I never got Bob Dylan until recently. I always loved his songs, as long as sung by somebody else, anybody else. However, in the last year or so, I've thought his voice wasn't the nasal whine I always heard it as.
Aging ears can be a blessing, also for bad recordings ...

mglobe

Forum Donor
Led Zeppelin – I was 14 when the first album came out, and I just didn’t get it. In my “defense” I was used to The Monkees. I figured it out in a year or two.

The Specials — Bought their first album, played it once, and put it on the shelf for about a year before I got it back out again. Still listen to them.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Captain Beefheart. I liked The Spotlight Kid when it came out. Tried a couple of other albums and didn't bother listening further.
Sat down and had a long listen through the speakers one day and my view has changed.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
One additional honorable mention…

Dolly Parton. She never really did anything for me until maybe the last 10 years. Her staying power and ability to remain relevant and her voice has only seemed to get silkier and silkier…Amazing performer and actress. ;)

Robin L

Master Contributor
My reaction to hearing Dylan was always being put off by his voice and not finding his songs interesting. People would say, “ but he’s a poet listen to his lyrics!””

My reply was, fine. I wish he’d stick to writing poems rather than trying to sing the words.
This probably won't change your mind but thought I should share it anyway. I'm hearing some nuance here that's often lacking in his music:

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
One additional honorable mention…

Dolly Parton. She never really did anything for me until maybe the last 10 years. Her staying power and ability to remain relevant and her voice has only seemed to get silkier and silkier…Amazing performer and actress. ;)

Now that you mention it: yeah! Same here. I wasn't even aware of the song Jolene until a few years ago, and now I think it's one of the greatest songs ever.

Top Bottom