• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bargain DAC Suggestions?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Just happened to see this if you are looking for more bargain DACs in the near future.

Micca OriGen
https://www.amazon.com/Micca-OriGen...69-20&linkId=25d59b47ee5de9fb47443e9fede2bfc1

Does up to 192 khz/24 bit or DSD. Has Toslink as well as USB input. Does ASIO and WASAPI for Windows USB use.
Does it work with Windows 10? Amazon reviews say it is difficult: "This little amp is awesome. It is so versatile. As of February 2017, Installing the driver for Windows 10 is a big pain in the a-star. "

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does it work with Windows 10? Amazon reviews say it is difficult: "This little amp is awesome. It is so versatile. As of February 2017, Installing the driver for Windows 10 is a big pain in the a-star. "

Here is a reviewer posting in December 2016. Apparently using instructions at their web site, which differs from manual does work. A couple other reviews tell the same tale.

Does not work on Windows 10, tried all install instructions many times but was just a waste of my time . will refund . dont waste your time if you have a windows 10 PC
EDIT:
after about an hour of installing and uninstalling i figured out the instructions on their page are different from the ones in the instruction manual. Got it to work and its great . Like that it has some weight to it and the build is solid. Big volume nob is a big plus . Drives my AKG K702 just fine . The only thing that i can complain about was how difficult the install was for windows 10

Edited to change youtube link as this is the current version. Z review:

More info here:
https://www.miccatron.com/micca-origen-usb-audio-dac-and-preamp/

You can find the updated driver install instructions for Win 10 uder the FAQ tab.

Now I haven't had hands on one, just tripped across it on another forum being mentioned. Seemed to fit the bill for your bargain DAC idea.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it would be good to include at least one recording interface. The Uphoria mentioned earlier does 24/192, but no SPDIF input, USB only.

This one would do for a bit more money.
https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B01E6T50GY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1488513954&sr=8-3&keywords=focusrite+2i4&th=1

Does 24/192 and has coax spdif input and output. Plus four balanced outputs if you are running a split system with subs and mains. They also now have an iOS remote control app for this device.

Right at the edge of budget is this well regarded model.
https://www.amazon.com/Audient-iD14...rd_wg=Vhxrz&psc=1&refRID=165M8GPXKY7PK9P0B8ZQ

It has optical input which can be switched between ADAT and SPDIF. Only does 96/24 however.

While none of these in the $300 budget do DSD they do have some good qualities. These nearly always have a very good headphone jack(s) for versatility. They also offer something useful that bargain DACs don't. Balanced outputs. Then just for bonus they do recording (useful for connecting a measurement mike for room measurements) plus they have analog inputs if they should be needed. In addition they can do decent measurements of other gear using the ADC for troubleshooting or other purposes. So lots of bang for the buck if they are sonically on par with these other inexpensive DACs.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Cheapskates opinion is that a "bargan" DAC should be in the hood of $100 or less. A ADC/DAC for comparison slightly more. DSD is a tweaker thing and not a requirement at all, if it's free, OK.
A definite candidate this level might be the Schitt Modi 2 at $99
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Some more detailed measurement results will be very interesting.
TIA

Can't believe in this day and age Windoz still requires special drivers for full USB compatibility. :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Cheapskates opinion is that a "bargan" DAC should be in the hood of $100 or less. A ADC/DAC for comparison slightly more. DSD is a tweaker thing and not a requirement at all, if it's free, OK.
A definite candidate this level might be the Schitt Modi 2 at $99
http://schiit.com/products/modi-2
Some more detailed measurement results will be very interesting.
TIA
I didn't know you could buy shiit that cheap. :D

I ordered that one too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can't believe in this day and age Windoz still requires special drivers for full USB compatibility. :(
It should not for under 96 Khz but yes, they should have had full support long time ago. There is no executive knowledge and awareness of such things at Microsoft anymore so features like this don't get priority.

That said i heard there is an update coming for Windows 10.

tr1ple6

The oppo looks interesting. How people feel about that versus Teac?
I don't think many people compare the 2 because one one is a desktop solution and the other is portable. Z Reviews did a review of the original Oppo HA-2 and it seems quite popular

D

Deleted member 65

If you're located in the US you should join Massdrop, some great prices on audio gear.

upload_2017-3-3_16-57-59.png

Top Bottom