• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best Speaker Value

Henry Hudson

What's the best way to find quality speakers on a budget? Should I buy used Original Large Advents (good condition) for $400? Would I be better off putting that money into new speakers?

I have a Marantz 2230b receiver (30 watts per channel) and understand that I'd have to find more power to drive the Advents.

The Bargain Audio Blog doesn't recommend vintage speakers, posting that speaker materials have improved dramatically over the years. Here's the link: https://bargainaudioblog.com/deals/

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Should I buy used Original Large Advents (good condition) for $400? Would I be better off putting that money into new speakers?
Those were terrific back in the day, but without a doubt the materials have deteriorated over time and newer designs incorporate newer knowledge about room/speaker/crossover interactions (especially polar pattern control). At the price points you're talking about, I'd go for one of the latest generation active speakers (Vanatoo, Kali...) and use the money you would have spent on a new amp to buy subwoofers.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
As SIY says, if you don't mind the utilitarian appearance, I'd look at some of the pro audio orientated active monitors.

You wouldn't have to worry about finding a suitable power amplifier either.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Spinorama.org is great for narrowing down speaker models.

You can filter by type, price, active or passive, then sort by preference score to find competently designed models that fit your requirements.

For example, here's a list of passive loudspeakers under $600 per pair, sorted by preference score:

And the same thing for active speakers:

Just a few notes:
-the preference score is just a rough guideline and does not take into account things like distortion or headroom.

-the links above include measurement data from many different sources, including some lower quality data that may nonetheless be useful.
If you want, you can set the measurement quality filter to High to get rid of such data, at the expense of only seeing speakers that have been measured by Amir from ASR or Erin from Erin's Audio Corner.

TK750

A couple of threads that you may find useful, similar info to the site posted by static but a touch more explanation perhaps:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$400 can get you pretty far in the used market, but I would agree that most vintage speakers in that price range won't beat most new speakers except maybe in max SPL. You need to be very picky if you're going to go that route.

What will you be using them for?

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I don't know anything about the Advents.

Speakers haven't changed THAT much and newer/different materials don't make THAT much difference. There are lots of choices & compromises that go into speaker design and manufacturers will always tout their choices as features/advantages.

There were some very good speakers made in the past and most of them are still good unless they've been abused or damaged.

At dome point (in the 1970s?) some manufacturers were using some kind of foam surround material that would rot/deteriorate over time. I don't know that's still being used. And I've seen paper-cone rear-deck car speakers destroyed by the sun.

What HAS changed is the Theile/Small research and easy availability of computers & software. That's made it easier to design a good speaker without as much trial-and-error and theoretically there should be fewer bad speakers on the market.

The "style" has changed with home theater, with smaller speakers becoming more popular. Home theater requires a subwoofer for the "point one" LFE channel. With a sub, the main speakers can (optionally) be smaller and most people don't have the space for 5 or more large full-range speakers. You see fewer "floor standing" speakers.

And with electronics more affordable, an active speaker (often 2 or 3-way) can include EQ to correct/improve the sound. But passive speakers are still standard for home use, except for subwoofers. And subs often do have EQ or "DSP" to extend the low frequency response. The less-expensive electronics also allows for more affordable high-power amplification and that combined with built-in EQ can allow-for a smaller, less efficient, woofer/subwoofer.

Middle Earth

What's the best way to find quality speakers on a budget? Should I buy used Original Large Advents (good condition) for $400? Would I be better off putting that money into new speakers?

I have a Marantz 2230b receiver (30 watts per channel) and understand that I'd have to find more power to drive the Advents.

The Bargain Audio Blog doesn't recommend vintage speakers, posting that speaker materials have improved dramatically over the years. Here's the link: https://bargainaudioblog.com/deals/
You need something with a high sensitivity
Not sure how 30 watts (RMS ?) would work with the OLAs
If you are close to them it should work
Only one way to find out

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
As someone who (in order to manage expenditure) still has main speakers dating back 20+ years, I'm not completely sold on the "everything has got better" logic. But, one thing you will notice has changed quite a lot in recent years is tweeter shape/mounting. Many newer speakers now have the tweeter mounted in a waveguide, whereas older speakers used to have them simply screwed to the front of the baffle. I think this is where modern technology (modelling and measurement) has identified benefits around smoother off-axis behaviour, which would have been harder to quantify and design even a couple of decades ago.

One obvious downside with used gear is damage. There may be the odd dent or scratch, which you may be fine about. There may also be hidden damage such as "party" overload. A new speaker will come with a warranty and confident that it's not been abused.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Here's a good bookshelf speaker that should work well with the Marantz's limited output:

Penelinfi

I don't know anything about the Advents.

Speakers haven't changed THAT much and newer/different materials don't make THAT much difference. There are lots of choices & compromises that go into speaker design and manufacturers will always tout their choices as features/advantages.

There were some very good speakers made in the past and most of them are still good unless they've been abused or damaged.

At dome point (in the 1970s?) some manufacturers were using some kind of foam surround material that would rot/deteriorate over time. I don't know that's still being used. And I've seen paper-cone rear-deck car speakers destroyed by the sun.

What HAS changed is the Theile/Small research and easy availability of computers & software. That's made it easier to design a good speaker without as much trial-and-error and theoretically there should be fewer bad speakers on the market.

The "style" has changed with home theater, with smaller speakers becoming more popular. Home theater requires a subwoofer for the "point one" LFE channel. With a sub, the main speakers can (optionally) be smaller and most people don't have the space for 5 or more large full-range speakers. You see fewer "floor standing" speakers.

And with electronics more affordable, an active speaker (often 2 or 3-way) can include EQ to correct/improve the sound. But passive speakers are still standard for home use, except for subwoofers. And subs often do have EQ or "DSP" to extend the low frequency response. The less-expensive electronics also allows for more affordable high-power amplification and that combined with built-in EQ can allow-for a smaller, less efficient, woofer/subwoofer.
Wharfedale Elysian has foam surrounds. Modern foam should last a long time

Reactions: ENG
OP
H

Henry Hudson

$400 can get you pretty far in the used market, but I would agree that most vintage speakers in that price range won't beat most new speakers except maybe in max SPL. You need to be very picky if you're going to go that route.

What will you be using them for?
I need the speakers for a living room, about 25 x 23 feet, for music only. I've ordered a pair of original large Advents, and look forward to see how they perform.

Top Bottom