• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bi-amping, searching amp for low tones

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dont know if is possible for my speaker, must sent a photo to service. Modul cost 500eur, speakers new (my second hand) 3200eur.
?
Presumably you then also need an active crossover? I'm a bit confused to be honest :)

Edit: I'm definitely confused ... the XO4 is the crossover, I realise that now. I see how this would work but it seems like a lot of money to spend with no guarantee that the results would be audible

Last edited:
OP
S

silver12

Yes, Im not totaly "home" at bi active, must read a lot off...that will understand complytly...will do..., yes, i could waiit and buy second hand if someone will sell...but, yes i could leave with current setup...so easy...

OP
S

silver12

Here is example, on some speakers you could choose...active/passive

Yes, have confirm only biamping with my...(without go inside...), and one amp, but good...

Last edited:

terryforsythe

Forum Donor
Can I ask - how much does it cost for the 'active' modification? It may be that it is cheaper, or a better use of money, to simply change the speakers. You could get a fully active setup instead.
It depends. There are a lot of variables. Prices are all over the place, depending on what equipment you would want.

If you want the most simple solution, just sell your existing equipment and buy active speakers. I have a pair of KEF LS60 Wireless speakers in my office, which I like quite well. They are around $5,000. But, there are many other active speakers that are very good (e.g., Genelec, Dutch & Dutch, Neumann, Buchardt, etc., etc.)

If you really like your speakers and want to keep them, maybe just buy a pre-amp/DSP/crossover that has at least 6-channels and an additional amplifier.
I use a miniDSP HTx as my pre-amp/DSP/crossover - https://www.minidsp.com/products/ht-series/flex-htx.
For my woofers I use a Hypex Nilai500DIY stereo amplifier - https://www.diyclassd.com/products/diy-amplifier-kits/nilai500diy-250w-stereo-power-amplifier-kit

Depending on which options you choose for the miniDSP and Nilai, you are looking at spending anywhere from $2,200 - $2,800 for those components. You could sell your existing pre-amp to offset some of this cost. Also, there are less expensive amplifiers that may suit your needs.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you really like your speakers and want to keep them, maybe just buy a pre-amp/DSP/crossover that has at least 6-channels and an additional amplifier.
I would get a Umik-1 first and measure the room with free REW. Then use a free room EQ software on a PC and play music from it with the settings calculated by REW. This should give a first impression of what is possible with his current speakers and amplification for very minor costs (less than €150).

Top Bottom