• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rotel DT-6000 Review & Measurements (CD Player / DAC)

Alex P

Another data point: I use optical connection and the bit rate is correctly shown on 1.04. I've tried USB but I prefer optical and I notice no difference in SQ.
I tried using both optical and coaxial connections when connecting the Pioneer N-50K network player to the DT-6000. I didn't like the sound. Especially when connected via an optical connection. I then tried using an old laptop to transfer audio data to the DT-6000 via USB-PC. This turned out to be a completely different matter. The sound was great.

Neric

I tried using both optical and coaxial connections when connecting the Pioneer N-50K network player to the DT-6000. I didn't like the sound. Especially when connected via an optical connection. I then tried using an old laptop to transfer audio data to the DT-6000 via USB-PC. This turned out to be a completely different matter. The sound was great.

Could be the Pioneer N-50k. I use a PC with high end motherboard that has optical on it. On this set up it's no different. I'd bet not all Optical implementations are the same - USB is a very different path that removes the sound card entirely. The DT-6000 has more jitter with USB then Coax or optical. (that I don't think I could hear at all) This is hooked up to an Anthem STR Pre, Buckey Amp to AudioVector R3 Arette speakers, and a SVS SB-4000 sub.

All anyone can do is try all the options and decide for themselves.

So does everyone here have the crackling issue with v1.04 on their DT6000? Don't want to update the firmware & be stuck with a bigger issue :confused:

Neric

So does everyone here have the crackling issue with v1.04 on their DT6000? Do't want to update the firmware & be stuck with a bigger issue :confused:

I have no issues with CDs or streaming with 1.04. Has anyone contacted Rotel is the better question. I've got VERY revealing speakers and I've been listening for 10s of hours on 1.04.

I have no issues with CDs or streaming with 1.04. Has anyone contacted Rotel is the better question. I've got VERY revealing speakers and I've been listening for 10s of hours on 1.04.
Is the crackling bug only on cd playback mode or usb mode too?

Neric

The person who reported said it's in CD mode, and you have to be stopped and within a few cm of the speaker.... I couldn't reproduce anything under those conditions with the volume at -0 db and higher so it's a non issue for me.

The person who reported said it's in CD mode, and you have to be stopped and within a few cm of the speaker.... I couldn't reproduce anything under those conditions with the volume at -0 db and higher so it's a non issue for me.
Hmmmm, guess i will give the v1.04 a try tom. Hope it solves the bitrate display bug i m getting with the Node X.

So. I decided not to wait for the weekend. I poured myself a beer and today I conducted another experiment with software version 1.04. Well... History repeated itself with noise in CD mode. I even recorded these sounds on my phone. Unfortunately, this audio file cannot be posted on this forum, but the noise in the recording is clearly audible. I recorded at a distance of 1...2 centimeters from the tweeter of the speaker system. The volume level on the Yamaha A-S1200 amplifier was set to approximately 2/3 of maximum. In general, I returned the software version 1.03 again.
Did you write to Rotel Support about this issue? Did they respond?

Alex P

Hmmmm, guess i will give the v1.04 a try tom. Hope it solves the bitrate display bug i m getting with the Node X.
Try updating the software to version 1.04. After all, you can always go back to 1.03... if you have a file with this software version.

Alex P

No, the crackling or clicking noise is only heard when the DT-6000 is in CD mode with the tray closed. And CD playback is not enabled. There is no clicking sound when playing a CD.
When operating the DT-6000 in "DIGITAL" or "PC-USB" modes, there are no clicks.

Yes, I wrote to Rotel technical support. There is still no answer.

Hope they reply back to you soon.

Try updating the software to version 1.04. After all, you can always go back to 1.03... if you have a file with this software version.

I don't have V1.03 with me so will be stuck on v1.04 :)

No, the crackling or clicking noise is only heard when the DT-6000 is in CD mode with the tray closed. And CD playback is not enabled. There is no clicking sound when playing a CD.
When operating the DT-6000 in "DIGITAL" or "PC-USB" modes, there are no clicks.

Thanks for the info, did you do a factory reset after updating the firmware? Rotel mentions to do that after firmware update.

Neric

I tried everything, including resetting to factory settings. There was noise. Anyway.

Can you give us an idea of the dbl level of the noise? You said you've got the volume turned up to at least 2/3, on my system for pop music that would be 80-90 db for the music. I'd expect the noise is a lot lower.

Alex P

Can you give us an idea of the dbl level of the noise?
I cannot indicate at what volume level (dB) the noise is heard, since there is no special equipment. But when the volume knob on the amplifier is in this position (see photo), the noise is clearly audible even at a distance of 2...2.5 meters from the acoustics.
If it matters, the DT-6000 is paired with a Yamaha A-S1200 amplifier. Acoustics – JBL 698.
I'll say it again. The noise is not always heard... periodically. And only when the DT-6000 is in “CD” mode.

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_200229.jpg
    IMG_20240213_200229.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 21

Neric

I cannot indicate at what volume level (dB) the noise is heard, since there is no special equipment. But when the volume knob on the amplifier is in this position (see photo), the noise is clearly audible even at a distance of 2...2.5 meters from the acoustics.
If it matters, the DT-6000 is paired with a Yamaha A-S1200 amplifier. Acoustics – JBL 698.
I'll say it again. The noise is not always heard... periodically. And only when the DT-6000 is in “CD” mode.

How is it all connected? With RCA cables since I don't see any XLR on the A-S1200. Is there anything that could be interfering with them? Does Optical when the source is muted have the same issue? Stopped could be sending nothing to the integrated and allow extra noise to get through. I have cranked my STR Preamp much much higher then you have and have no audible issues. But I'm using XLR everywhere.

@BlackSpider777 did you update to 1.04 do you have any issues?

Alex P

How is it all connected? With RCA cables since I don't see any XLR on the A-S1200. Is there anything that could be interfering with them? Does Optical when the source is muted have the same issue? Stopped could be sending nothing to the integrated and allow extra noise to get through. I have cranked my STR Preamp much much higher then you have and have no audible issues. But I'm using XLR everywhere.
The whole history of this noise in software version 1.04 is very strange. There is no noise when using an optical or coaxial connection. The noise is only present in CD standby mode.
Yes, I use RCA cables to connect the DT-6000 to the amplifier.

Top Bottom