• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The Hypex NCx500 Amplifier range is now listed on our site and is currently on sale during the pre-order phase!
Currently Monoblock and 2ch is live. 3ch listing will follow soon.

Will be making a new dedicated NCx thread soon, as well.

ChrisB1224

Upgrading my 2021 buckeye, and ordered another(in transit, same finish). Who needs an AMP10 when you can put these with your AV10
20230328_173842.jpg
20230328_173922.jpg
20230328_173910.jpg
20230328_173851.jpg

ryaneagon

Need some advice here. I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVM 70 Processor. I figured after 30 years of mid-level AVR's It was time to jump up to separates. Now I need to figure out what Amp to get....Class AB or D. I was initially thinking of the Monolith 9-channel, 200w for the LCR, 100w for the surround and heights. I've also read many reviews on the Buckeye class D amps, also seeing they measure very well. I'll be powering Polk r700 fronts, L400, center, R100, rears, and R900 Atmos speakers. The fronts are towers (2-8" driver 3 way) and the Center is a 3-way, large speaker and both can dip down below 4ohms. Anyway, I'd love some advice on Amps from you all. Thank you

dscottj

Need some advice here. I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVM 70 Processor ... [I've] read many reviews on the Buckeye class D amps, also seeing they measure very well.

I upgraded to that exact combo earlier this year, coupling a 70 to a Buckeye 8 channel NC252. Works great, very pleased.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Need some advice here. I ended up pulling the trigger on the AVM 70 Processor. I figured after 30 years of mid-level AVR's It was time to jump up to separates. Now I need to figure out what Amp to get....Class AB or D. I was initially thinking of the Monolith 9-channel, 200w for the LCR, 100w for the surround and heights. I've also read many reviews on the Buckeye class D amps, also seeing they measure very well. I'll be powering Polk r700 fronts, L400, center, R100, rears, and R900 Atmos speakers. The fronts are towers (2-8" driver 3 way) and the Center is a 3-way, large speaker and both can dip down below 4ohms. Anyway, I'd love some advice on Amps from you all. Thank you
I would consider the CLASS G design subset of the CLASS AB design or the CLASS D (& the only 2 designs of CLASS D that I would consider would be from either (in alphabetical order, no preference for one or the other)

Arthur amplifiers - boXem | audio or​

[IMG alt="Buckeye Amps"]https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/data/avatars/m/16/16347.jpg?1614526321[/IMG]

Buckeye Amps

If I were starting anew, I would go with one of these 2 CLASS D's.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was playing classical music in the background and there was an extended period of low volume music (in Rhapsody in Blue) and the amp shut itself off....and then came back on later. Is there a way to defeat or better yet, change the sensitivity ??

dscottj

I was playing classical music in the background and there was an extended period of low volume music (in Rhapsody in Blue) and the amp shut itself off....and then came back on later. Is there a way to defeat or better yet, change the sensitivity ??

I switched to a 12v trigger for this reason. Not sure if there's a way to adjust the auto sensitivity.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I switched to a 12v trigger for this reason. Not sure if there's a way to adjust the auto sensitivity.
Good idea. I don't have a 12V trigger output on my DAC.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My Purifi 3 channel Buckeye doesn't shut off until there is no sound output from the preamp for about 2-3 minutes. I haven't timed it but notice the light remain on for several minutes before it goes out signaling it shut down. Maybe yours has a fault?

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
There is no way on the consumer end to change sensitivity.

The Auto On threshold chosen is meant to encompass 99/100 use cases. Setting it more sensitive so it stays on during very low volume background noise introduces the chance of it falsely turning on when not in use, as some receivers and pre/pros are known to send out very low level signals even when not in use.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would suggest turning off the Buckeye auto/on feature and try again.

BoredErica

The amps don't need free air for cooling although in a confined space the temp will increase until it reaches max temp based on available cooling and dissipation. If you stuff it in semi-confined space you could use a small fan for cooling and extend the life of it.

I'm not expert at the model numbers for Buckeye Amps but I think the Hypex NC502MP is the newer model? With better clamping of the PCB to the heatsink with the FETs and such clamped between the PCB and the heatsink plate. It is a major improvement. Have you considered the upgrade and get the better physical construction unit.
Hi, questions:
1. Would it be perfectly ok to put nc252mp 2ch in a semi closed cabinet or is that just a bad idea? Does heat output vary based on power draw of speakers?
2. Is it true that Buckeye nc502mp are made better than current nc252mp builds? I thought it was the same, except for different module and required case size changes.

Thanks

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1. Would it be perfectly ok to put nc252mp 2ch in a semi closed cabinet or is that just a bad idea? Does heat output vary based on power draw of speakers?
A semi closed cabinet would be OK if there is vertical airflow for the thermals to rise out of the cabinet. If the back is open or just the front then there will be dead air space and cooling will suffer.
2. Is it true that Buckeye nc502mp are made better than current nc252mp builds? I thought it was the same, except for different module and required case size changes.
Please refer to the image I marked for you a couple of minutes ago. That will give you a very basic idea of the fastening improvements made to the new model.

BoredErica

A semi closed cabinet would be OK if there is vertical airflow for the thermals to rise out of the cabinet. If the back is open or just the front then there will be dead air space and cooling will suffer.

Please refer to the image I marked for you a couple of minutes ago. That will give you a very basic idea of the fastening improvements made to the new model.
I saw your post in my thread. I quoted here in case Buckeye Amps wanted to chime in. :p
I think either semi enclosed space w/ 250rpm fan or just finding a space for it with more airflow.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I saw your post in my thread. I quoted here in case Buckeye Amps wanted to chime in. :p
I think either semi enclosed space w/ 250rpm fan or just finding a space for it with more airflow.
I believe I am caught up after reading the other thread.

The NC502 is not any newer than the NC252. Both have been mounted to the bottom of the cases the same way since I started building in 2020.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Monolith by Monoprice M8250x comes with a five year warranty does Buckeye amplifiers have the same warranty?

Top Bottom