• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

trigovina

Hi Everyone,

I had wiim pro and used with external dac gustard x16 but i sold my wiim pro. Nowadays i have been looking for all in one device.
CXN v2 has the functions that i am looking for. Airplay, chromecast in, xlr out etc. I will use it for deezer and connect my tv box with spdif cable. Do you think that the sound quality would be better than wiim pro and separate dac Gustard x16? Or should i go on with my dac with a new brand wiim pro plus? Do you have any suggestion or advice?

Alexx

@trigovina
If you have an external DAC you probably won't hear any difference between the various streamers.

I had the Wiim Pro and then switched to the Pro Plus (I use it with RCA analogue output) so I must say the sound of the Plus is better than the previous one.

For the Cambridge we are on other levels, in addition to having a display (really useful for my taste and having it) it is equipped with a Wolfson Dac which has been awarded several times over for several years, the "Wolfosn" seem to have greater musicality than some "Sabre" or at least they appear be "warmer" even if for many people all DACs sound the same...

Cambridge also has a better power supply section, in my humble opinion the Cambridge is preferable to the excellent Wiim.

A small clarification, I find the management software via Wiim application better, as with Wiim you can select internet radios by "state" America. Germany Italy etc. directly from the application, while for Cambridge to do it you have to act directly from the device's software and read its display for the various settings (much more inconvenient than doing everything from a smartphone) this is the only negative aspect that I would say on Cambridge (I have contacted them and they say they will probably update the Stream Magic application later to include this possibility).

Last thing, pay attention to the price, the CXN-V3 should be released in 2024 so try to see if there is any discount or promotion.

If you don't need to get Internet Radio this way, Cambridge is definitely the best choice.
A greeting.

trigovina

@trigovina
If you have an external DAC you probably won't hear any difference between the various streamers.

I had the Wiim Pro and then switched to the Pro Plus (I use it with RCA analogue output) so I must say the sound of the Plus is better than the previous one.

For the Cambridge we are on other levels, in addition to having a display (really useful for my taste and having it) it is equipped with a Wolfson Dac which has been awarded several times over for several years, the "Wolfosn" seem to have greater musicality than some "Sabre" or at least they appear be "warmer" even if for many people all DACs sound the same...

Cambridge also has a better power supply section, in my humble opinion the Cambridge is preferable to the excellent Wiim.

A small clarification, I find the management software via Wiim application better, as with Wiim you can select internet radios by "state" America. Germany Italy etc. directly from the application, while for Cambridge to do it you have to act directly from the device's software and read its display for the various settings (much more inconvenient than doing everything from a smartphone) this is the only negative aspect that I would say on Cambridge (I have contacted them and they say they will probably update the Stream Magic application later to include this possibility).

Last thing, pay attention to the price, the CXN-V3 should be released in 2024 so try to see if there is any discount or promotion.

If you don't need to get Internet Radio this way, Cambridge is definitely the best choice.
A greeting.
Thank you for your detailed review.
In fact i am not interested in radios but mobile app of any device is more important for usage of the device. I didn’t have any problem with wiim pro and it was user friendly but i want to change my setup to more flat, accurate, high quality sound with all detailed. That’s why recently i have changed my monitors to Focal Alpha Evo 65.
And also i will sell my dac if i can find a second hand all in one device. The price of each setup will be nearly the same.
Again thank you very much for your objective review.
By the way, is there any advantage or disadvantage of upsampling of cxn v2 to 384khz?

Alexx

HI.

I can't help you with upscaling, but I can tell you that in terms of detail the Cambridge is really good (it's also among the best-selling in recent years).

I don't want to confuse your ideas with other brands (it could increase the confusion) but without obligation, try also looking at the Eversolo DMP-A6 (in Italy sold for 750 euros) or for a more functional device, but only because it also has a remote control with which can work without constraints from a smartphone is the model: Cocktail Audio N25 (I don't know where you live and if it is sold in your area) this is one of my favorite models.

Unfortunately, by my choice, I need a remote control with which to completely manage the device (I can't stand having the smart phone in my hand all the time) I don't consider many models such as Eversolo.

If you don't have this requirement, the DMP-A6 has all it takes to be an excellent device.

For anything else just ask.
See you soon.

trigovina

HI.

I can't help you with upscaling, but I can tell you that in terms of detail the Cambridge is really good (it's also among the best-selling in recent years).

I don't want to confuse your ideas with other brands (it could increase the confusion) but without obligation, try also looking at the Eversolo DMP-A6 (in Italy sold for 750 euros) or for a more functional device, but only because it also has a remote control with which can work without constraints from a smartphone is the model: Cocktail Audio N25 (I don't know where you live and if it is sold in your area) this is one of my favorite models.

Unfortunately, by my choice, I need a remote control with which to completely manage the device (I can't stand having the smart phone in my hand all the time) I don't consider many models such as Eversolo.

If you don't have this requirement, the DMP-A6 has all it takes to be an excellent device.

For anything else just ask.
See you soon.
Cocktail Audio is also my favorite but in my country it is not sold. Dmp a6 uses ess 9038q2m and sold in my country. I couldn’t find any comparison between cxn v2 and dmp a6. They have both similar specs but spec is not everything you know. I need flat and detailed sound.

Alexx

I like this type of sound too (far like the Rotel amps).

At this point you are on the safe side with the Cambridge, even if you read the various reviews and tests on "What-Hifi" it is always defined with this timbre and type of sound.

Out of curiosity, at what price did you find it? Amazon sells it on promo for 899 euros.
See you soon.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
IMG_0283.jpeg

Great streamer. Using mine with roon, local files as backup , internet radio and for airplay (Apple TV etc)

Alexx

@Snoopy:
Very nice, I see, it also has the black model (now unobtainable).

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about free internet radio? Is it difficult to choose the various countries (Canada-United States-Germany etc.) via the device display?

Unfortunately it is not possible to make this selection with the smartphone and Stream Magic application, from the display I fear it is also inconvenient or am I wrong?

Lastly, from the photo I see you have a Dinavox multi socket (which model) do you think it is sufficient without going to much more expensive models?

Thank you in advance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Something to help you here- if you only need to regularly access a small number of stations, find them on the device as you say but you can store them as presets that can then be selected from the remote or the app.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@Snoopy:
Very nice, I see, it also has the black model (now unobtainable).

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about free internet radio? Is it difficult to choose the various countries (Canada-United States-Germany etc.) via the device display?

Unfortunately it is not possible to make this selection with the smartphone and Stream Magic application, from the display I fear it is also inconvenient or am I wrong?

Lastly, from the photo I see you have a Dinavox multi socket (which model) do you think it is sufficient without going to much more expensive models?

Thank you in advance.

What jimbo said about the radio stations.

I just got the dinavox sockets because I wanted something more solid that looks a bit fancy with a replaceable fuse.
No need for it really but it looks nice. :)
I hear no difference to a cheap powerstrip or directly plugged into the wall.

Alexx

@Snoopy:

OK thank you.

I also don't think it makes a difference for the multi socket but it is useful for over voltage protection, plus (I don't know if yours too) it also has filtered outputs perhaps useful for connecting CD streamers etc.

Plus it's also beautiful :) Amazon has put it on promo (in Italy) for 120 euros.

For the Internet Radio discussion, I thought "Jimbo" had sent me a Link to read... I checked it's not a Link, but it only explains how to do it, so once saved in favorites via the device's display I can recall them directly from remote control numeric key or from Stream Magic application.

It takes a few more steps to search but all in all it's more than fine, then I mainly listen to Tidal.

@trigovina:
Have you made a decision? If you like, let us know what you chose.
A thousand thanks.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I have the dynavox X2000 (currently 98€ on Amazon) and the X4100 (currently 125€).

Both have a 10A overvoltage protection. I use the bigger one for my tv setup where I also have stuff like Apple TV, PlayStation.

I even replaced my powercables with some more fancy ones from monosaudio (all the time on sale and you can get them from 16-55€ ).

Makes no difference but gives a peace of mind because everything is well made, looks robust (I have a cat That could easily chew through thin cables). And the powersockets are heavy and have rubber feet. So you are unlikely to accidentally pull them around.

@Alexx

I don’t use the radio stations that much on the Cambridge to be helpful there. I mainly use it for Roon and airplay (Apple Music and Apple TV).

The Cambridge software is just a nice backup. And you can connect a external SSD and play music straight from the display (also as backup).

And the cxn v2 supports usb protocol 1, so it works with a ps4/5 if that matters to you

Alexx

@Snoopy

Fine thanks.

Do I have to make another exact subscription for "Roon"? I don't know how it works but from what I read online "Roon" has its own dedicated application for smartphones (I no longer use Stream Magic).

Sorry for the many questions but I'm not very prepared, I would be interested in "Roon" but I can't find explanatory guides where I can understand how it works, which device I need to add to the house and which other subscription.
Thank you in advance.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@Snoopy

Fine thanks.

Do I have to make another exact subscription for "Roon"? I don't know how it works but from what I read online "Roon" has its own dedicated application for smartphones (I no longer use Stream Magic).

Sorry for the many questions but I'm not very prepared, I would be interested in "Roon" but I can't find explanatory guides where I can understand how it works, which device I need to add to the house and which other subscription.
Thank you in advance.

the cxn v2 is in that case just a Roon endpoint (you could as well just use a raspberry pi and another cheap dac). Roon is its own streaming software that requires a "core" or "server" whatever you want to call it , you can run that on a laptop, pc or a NAS that you already own or you buy a dedicated Roon PC that runs Roon Rock (its like Roon as a OS).

Roon costs money.. monthly, yearly or lifetime subscription. but you still need another streaming service for music (Qobuz, tidal) or local files.

its a great software that offers EQ, Convolution filters (for room correction) and other stuff that you might enjoy or not need at all. But Roon got recently sold to harman (Samsung) so I would be careful with expensive purchases at the moment.

Alexx

@Snoopy
Thanks so much for the explanation.

Practically "Roon" must always be active/on and associated with Cambridge (use a sort of bridge between the two), correct?

I think I saw it in a shop, it was a sort of black cube to which the various streamers in the shop belonged.

Last question, does it also work with cable or just WiFi? (I have problems with WiFi).

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@Snoopy
Thanks so much for the explanation.

Practically "Roon" must always be active/on and associated with Cambridge (use a sort of bridge between the two), correct?

I think I saw it in a shop, it was a sort of black cube to which the various streamers in the shop belonged.

Last question, does it also work with cable or just WiFi? (I have problems with WiFi).

Thank you so much for the valuable information.

You can have multiple roon endpoints like a raspberry pi or wiim pro, google chromcast or something with AirPlay. You could also connect your roon core (laptops, nuc etc) with usb to a DAC (the Cambridge for example).

Roon works WiFi and LAN cable.

I use lan with the Cambridge.

Alexx

Great thanks so much for the information.

Now I'm getting organized (I also have to buy Cambridge CXN-V2) I also have wiim pro plus.

In case in the next few days I'll let you know if I don't succeed in something, sorry but I'm not very expert.

Thanks again for your kindness.

trigovina

@Alexx
I have just bought a second hand CXN V2. For quick and objective review, when i compare with wiim pro mobile app. i didn't like the Magic Stream App at all.
According to my ears, sound quality of CXN v2 is a little bit better then wiim pro with Gustard X16 dac. Keep in mind that CXN is only allowed to control the volume change in pre-amp mode. I could'nt find any adjustment about the automatic input selection via the signal received. My tv is connected to cxn with spdif cable and i have to change the input to spdif manually. Is there anyone who can solve this problem. In wiim pro it changes automatically to the input which signal received.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
@Alexx
I have just bought a second hand CXN V2. For quick and objective review, when i compare with wiim pro mobile app. i didn't like the Magic Stream App at all.
According to my ears, sound quality of CXN v2 is a little bit better then wiim pro with Gustard X16 dac. Keep in mind that CXN is only allowed to control the volume change in pre-amp mode. I could'nt find any adjustment about the automatic input selection via the signal received. My tv is connected to cxn with spdif cable and i have to change the input to spdif manually. Is there anyone who can solve this problem. In wiim pro it changes automatically to the input which signal received.

Just using the CXN as a transport to a external dac is a absolute waste of money. You might as well just use a raspberry pi as streamer into a dac or go straight from the tv to the dac.

The streammagic app is super basic. But it’s a great streamer if you are using roon

trigovina

Just using the CXN as a transport to a external dac is a absolute waste of money. You might as well just use a raspberry pi as streamer into a dac or go straight from the tv to the dac.

The streammagic app is super basic. But it’s a great streamer if you are using roon
I agree with you and I don't use cxnv2 with external dac. My TV box Homatics Box R 4K Plus is connected to TV with HDMI and my tv is connected to CXNv2 with toslink cable.
TV has only toslink out. CXNv2 is also connected to the active speakers Focal Alpha Evo 65 with xlr cable. Thats my setup.
I am not roon user. I use deezer. I will sell my dac.

Top Bottom