• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 Measurements (Streamer & DAC)

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just using the CXN as a transport to a external dac is a absolute waste of money. You might as well just use a raspberry pi as streamer into a dac or go straight from the tv to the dac.

The streammagic app is super basic. But it’s a great streamer if you are using roon
Agree re the DAC, but I love the cross-platform compatibility. No matter what streaming app people come in to my house with, they can see the streamer and play.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone using it with Roon (with built in Roon endpoint) on daily basis? Any problems? I'm thinking about getting one - I found one for very good price.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone using it with Roon (with built in Roon endpoint) on daily basis? Any problems? I'm thinking about getting one - I found one for very good price.
I use my Edge Pre (same software) with Roon all the time. No issues, even going back and forth using it for Chromecast or Airplay occasionally.

biglebowski

Forum Donor
@Alexx
I could'nt find any adjustment about the automatic input selection via the signal received. My tv is connected to cxn with spdif cable and i have to change the input to spdif manually. Is there anyone who can solve this problem. In wiim pro it changes automatically to the input which signal received.
This feature is not available on the CXN. It is actually quite rare with optical inputs

Alexx

Good morning and merry Christmas to everyone!

Two very quick questions.

The CXN -V2 is on promotion for 800 euros and I would like to buy it.

1) I ask you why if Wolfoson Dacs are reviewed as a type of tone with a vaguely "warm" sound, many say that the CXN V2 has a "cold" and tiring tendency on high frequencies even though this Dac is fitted?

2) Do you know if Cambridge has launched the new update to be able to select the search for the various countries of Free Internet Radio stations and related types of music from the Stream Magic application? example Radio USA/California/Germany etc. Genre Jazz Pop etc.?

Previously it was only possible to do it from the display of the device (questionable choice) but Cambridge had told me in some emails that they would try to update to be able to give this option also from the smartphone application.

For this reason I haven't purchased yet, as I listen to music from all nations and I would like to be able to do it simply, I find it too inconvenient every time to manage it from the small display of the device (for example, an option that Wiim Pro Plus has).
Thanks in advance everyone!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1) I ask you why if Wolfoson Dacs are reviewed as a type of tone with a vaguely "warm" sound, many say that the CXN V2 has a "cold" and tiring tendency on high frequencies even though this Dac is fitted?
Because all of these statements are pure nonsense to begin with.

Alexx

I absolutely agree that they are small nuances.

But can there be a minimum of truth? we continually talk about different types of musical timbres between the various DACs, I don't know who to listen to anymore -:)

So you say that among the various brands such as Akm - Saber - Wolfsono they are all the same?
Do you have any news on software updates?
A thousand thanks.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But can there be a minimum of truth? we continually talk about different types of musical timbres between the various DACs, I don't know who to listen to anymore -:)
The ones that actually know. Two years being a member here, you definitely should know better:
;)
So you say that among the various brands such as Akm - Saber - Wolfsono they are all the same?
No, implementations performances are differents. That's why we measure things !

Alexx

OK thank you.

In practice the biggest differences are at the graphic level of the technical measurements :)

Encouraging at least the choice becomes easier and less stressful.....welcome to an old Wolfson also because it is now on promotion for 800 euros.

Do you know anything about whether the new CXN V3 will be released? this price drop on the V2 makes me wonder.
Thank you.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
OK thank you.

In practice the biggest differences are at the graphic level of the technical measurements :)

Encouraging at least the choice becomes easier and less stressful.....welcome to an old Wolfson also because it is now on promotion for 800 euros.

Do you know anything about whether the new CXN V3 will be released? this price drop on the V2 makes me wonder.
Thank you.

Since the dual Wolfson dac chips are fully transparent (120 db something?) it wouldn’t even matter if there is a V3 probably with ESS chip. It can’t be more then transparent.

Your speakers/headphones will distort way before that and if you can still hear it at the volume for that to happen is another question..

If you are worried about the software on the Cambridge it might be better to go with a computer based streamer with external dac.

Pinch

Hello, I am new to the forum and glad I found it. I just purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 and I have two question: The manual states that the mains inlet voltage is
100-240 VAC (switch mode). Does this mean that with the correct power cable (plug) it can run on either without my doing anything (i.e., flip a switch, change fuse, etc.)? Also, there is a small protected red switch recessed in the bottom of the unit. What is it for? The manual does not show or mention it. Hope I have posted this in the right place. Thank you.

Alexx

@Pinch :

Unfortunately I don't know this model well.

I also have some doubts about this streamer, I'm undecided whether to get this one or the N25 Audio Cocktail (similar price).

I don't know it, I still have to buy it (I can try asking my dealer about this red button and I'll let you know).

Out of curiosity, can you tell me if they have updated the software so that I can select the musical genre (Jaz, Pop, Classical etc.) and country (England, United States, California, Germany, China etc.) directly from the Stream Magic application or is it still bound to do it only manually from the device display?

Thank you very much see you soon.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have two Cambridge Audio players - an Edge and the model that preceded the CXN (StreamMagic 2). The firmware is updated regularly, so I expect they all share it. They both work really well. I use Roon, and the roon integration is seamless. They also use airplay and Chromecast protocols, although they sometimes behave strangely with Chromecast grouping. I don’t know if that is Roon or the device itself. Oddly, it is a google device that typically drops, not the Edge.

Playing music directly from file storage on the Cambridge devices is very tedious. You are much better off running a light music server with your music storage (I used MinimServer, because you can structure the music server with the tags in the library).

Happy to answer any other questions, but I’m a fan. Guests can use the Spotify/airplay/chromecast/tidal features easily, and I have seamless Roon integration.

Now, I also have a system with A Raspberry Pi running ROPIEEE (formerly ROPIEEXL). That also emulates airplay, and you *can* use digital volume in Roon, although you might not want to. And it costs less than $100 plus about 20 minutes of fiddling and configuring.

AND I have a WiiM, which is also pretty cheap, has a DAC like the CXN, and does Chromecast, Spotify, Tidal, and Roon. It’s had a few buggy moments (it did a hard reset on its own a few days ago) but is also a bargain. No screen.

Alexx

It's a shame that the Wiim Pro Plus doesn't have a screen (I have one) otherwise it would be the perfect machine for my needs...

I don't know "Roon" at all, in fact they told me that if I have the CXN V2 the functionality improves and is there the possibility of re-searching music by broadcaster, country and genre also from the application? although not knowing him I have no idea how this is possible.

Also I believe the "Roon" platform has an exact monthly cost?

Since I need a dedicated remote control (no smartphone constraints) and display, I believe that only Cambridge and Cocktail have this possibility with this budget.

biglebowski

Forum Donor
It's a shame that the Wiim Pro Plus doesn't have a screen (I have one) otherwise it would be the perfect machine for my needs...

I don't know "Roon" at all, in fact they told me that if I have the CXN V2 the functionality improves and is there the possibility of re-searching music by broadcaster, country and genre also from the application? although not knowing him I have no idea how this is possible.

Also I believe the "Roon" platform has an exact monthly cost?

Since I need a dedicated remote control (no smartphone constraints) and display, I believe that only Cambridge and Cocktail have this possibility with this budget.
You could wait a little bit more for the upcoming Wiim Ultra

Alexx

@biglebowski :

A thousand thanks!!!

I didn't know about this new model, fantastic.

I certainly have no problem waiting, it seems to come out around May.
If in addition to the small remote control it also has the screen it would be perfect, and I imagine at a lower price than the CXN V2

Now I also contact "Wiim" to see if they have more information.
Thanks again.

Pinch

Hello, I am new to the forum and glad I found it. I just purchased a Cambridge CXN V2 and I have two question: The manual states that the mains inlet voltage is
100-240 VAC (switch mode). Does this mean that with the correct power cable (plug) it can run on either without my doing anything (i.e., flip a switch, change fuse, etc.)? Also, there is a small protected red switch recessed in the bottom of the unit. What is it for? The manual does not show or mention it. Hope I have posted this in the right place. Thank you.
So I answered at least one of my own questions. The CXN V2 auto switches between 120v and 240v.

ajramirez

Unless you really needed the screen, I would think the MXN10 would be a better choice, especially given the difference in price.

Top Bottom