• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheapest Chinese Tribrid IEMs

gatorengineer64

Forum Donor
It's hard to find a site that sorts out the various Chinese items. I am wondering what the cheapest Chinese Tribrid IEMs are. I picked up a pair of mest iiis and love them. I think what makes them special is being Tribrids plus bone conduction. I don't know if the bone Conduction is hype or if it is real. I travel alot and would rather not take these on every trip but would like 80 percent of the Performance for 20 percent of the price. I have a pair of crinnacle reds literally on a slow boat from China but what else is a step up? In know about 7hz but hoping there is a tribrid I may not know about.

OP
G

gatorengineer64

Forum Donor
Well I did a side by side with Campfire Andromeda Emerald Seas, and UM Mest MkIIIs. about the same price point one BA and one quadbrid. It wasnt close not even a little, Base Mids, Treble, stagging, all biggly to the Mests, so thats why I am looking for a travel pair of Tribrids.....

digitalfrost

Major Contributor

Adamant11746

Well I did a side by side with Campfire Andromeda Emerald Seas, and UM Mest MkIIIs. about the same price point one BA and one quadbrid. It wasnt close not even a little, Base Mids, Treble, stagging, all biggly to the Mests, so thats why I am looking for a travel pair of Tribrids.....
I think the main problem with that comparison is the massive differences in the frequency response curve between the 2 models. I've attached a graph with the Andromeda 2019(green line) compared with the MEST MKIII(blue line) compared to my personal target(Harman with a bit less pinna gain), and you can see the Andromeda has much less sub bass, much more mid bass, and almost no pinna gain compensation. The MEST MKIII has much more conventional sub bass and mid bass, and while it still is missing some pinna gain it has a bit more than the Andromeda. I also included the Zero Red(red line) you have coming, which is a classic Harman-like tuning with a couple of tweaks to the sub bass and pinna gain regions.

In essence, even if there are audible differences between driver types the tuning differences would massively drown them out.

PS: I know the Andromeda 2019 is not the emerald sea, but I checked and the frequency response curve is pretty similar. I just picked the 2019 because it was measured by someone who also measured the MEST MKIII. I also don't have the knowledge to definitively say whether there are audible differences between driver types or not, although I personally doubt it.

Edit: Forgot about staging. I can't speak to that either, because I don't know how a good soundstage illusion would look on measurements and I happen to be one of the people who doesn't get much of a soundstage illusion with anything.
MEST MK3, Andromeda 2019, Zero Red.png

OP
G

gatorengineer64

Forum Donor
Thanks for the time spent on such a thoughtful response to my question. As a further note, I originally upgraded from a Andromeda 2018 to the Emerald sea and I did like the emerald see alot more. However the gap between the MEST and the Emerald Sea was bigger than the gap from 2018 to Emerald Sea. Based on the graphs the Crinnicle Red should be awesome Perhaps I will feel foolish buying the MEST. But also what I hear is a huge difference in the response of the MEST over the Andromeda in the 200 HZ range, this is the area where the bone conduction supposedly kicks in, and that would not show on the graph. Perhaps the BCD is more than marketing hype.

Top Bottom