• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

7Hz x Crinacle Zero:2 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 291 86.4%

• Total voters

Somafunk

Major Contributor
My ears are different sizes. While in my left ear, bascially anything fits ok, my right ear is somehow much bigger.

I wouldn’t worry, just about everyone’s ears are different sizes, I have to use a smaller width/sized eartip in my left ear compared to right unless the silicone is particularly soft/flexible such as spring tips. Dunu S&S have quite thick silicone rubber but get the best fit so I size down for left ear.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Update on my situation. Just now my Truthear Zero Red arrived and no matter which tips I use, the bass is SIGNIFICANTLY more pronounced. It's like day and night. Especially when I use my own tips from my old in-ear headphones. So ultimately this begs the question: is it really anatomical reasons why the Zero:2s sound so thin for me.
Seal problems and ear canal length. Nothing new, typical iem "issues"

Cote Dazur

So ultimately this begs the question: is it really anatomical reasons why the Zero:2s sound so thin for me.
I am in the same boat as you, my Truthear Zero, physically identical to the Red, give me a good fit with great sound, excellent bass without much fuss.
The Zero 2, can also give good sound, but I need to place them at a very different angle in my ears, if I place them where they would naturally go, like I do with the Truthear Zero, I get a very mediocre sound with no bass.
Anatomy is a very important factor in relation to the different IEM, more important than most other aspect, in my experience.

Booker

Forum Donor
I bought the original TH ZERO and loved the sound. But the ZEROs are not very comfortable for me. That's why I bought the Sundaras. Then I saw this review and bought the ZERO:2. Since then I have listened to music mainly through them. The problem is that I got bored with the sound of my main audio system with the speakers of that time. I'm just saying :/.

t1m9k86

The importance of a good seal with IEM cannot be understated. That alone is the most important thing to get right IME. If I place the Red tips of the Zero 2 into my ears it is very difficult to get a good seal even though they are the proper size for my ear. If I take a wet wash rag or paper towel and wet my ear canal (give yourself a wet willy!) the red tips will form an excellent seal especially after the rubber warms up (give it a couple minutes). Bass will be exactly here it should be. Key is to a wash and wet the ear canal before insertion FTW.

IME foam tips will always give me a good seal, but I prefer the audio much more with silicone tips.

My Zero 2 continues to impress and is my goto IEM. Simply stunning bang for buck.
@GPJ so despite your initial comment regarding no EQ and using the OG Zero's, did you EQ the 2's to get them to be your goto IEM?

Bow_Wazoo

My (crinacle based) preset

Screenshot_20240405_105020_Neutron Player.jpg
Screenshot_20240405_105112_Neutron Player.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My ears are different sizes. While in my left ear, bascially anything fits ok, my right ear is somehow much bigger.

c7840a040513870a2a287c01eb51fa20.jpg

The XL spring tips were a very good solution that works well for me. But it's kinda strange that they have such a big difference between the L and the XL.
I think originally they only released S M L (thats all I got woth any IEMs they shipped with) and people complained they were on the small size compared to other tips (they are, the black L are not big enough for me for some types of IEM) so guessing they added the XL size to cover both the L and XL Spinfit sizings (Spinfit CP100 L is 13.3 mm and XL is 14mm; CP145 L is 13.5mm wide) rather than adding too more sizes to the range (who wants to admit to having XXL ears ?!)

Mungo

They are objectively very bassy so yours are faulty or you have a bad fit. You've gone for the blue tips which would be too small for me (and result in poor bass). I'd try other tips, starting with the red, and try inserting them in different ways, pushing quite far in, listening to something with bass as you do.
Snap. I had zero bass with the blue. Red for the win. I had given up....Many thanks threni and others

Bow_Wazoo

These preset is incredibly good!
It lifts the Zero 2 on a other level
(+JVC fx9)

Bruel & Kjaer 4620 rocks.

Screenshot_20240412_132856_Neutron Player.jpg
Screenshot_20240412_132919_Neutron Player.jpg

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

Well, then I'm the best proof, that it's worth sharing again. Because I missed it. Unfortunately. But miracle is the right word. Because for me it really borders on a miracle. Zero 2 + fx9 + this preset.

Bow_Wazoo

A good track to show, how artificial the 711 profile sounds, compared to the 4620.

Screenshot_20240415_133246_Neutron Player.jpg

Bow_Wazoo

Yesterday I compared the Zero 2 with the Blessing 3.

20240417_063510.jpg

The JVC FX9 were used as tips.
Both IEMs were set to Crinacle's 4620 preset.

It was a short fight.

In my opinion, the Blessing 3 doesn't stand a chance. The bass in particular seems much more detached and at the same time, more energetic on the Zero 2. In the highs, the B3 seems just as lacking in detail as its predecessor.

There are tracks, such as Amberland - Oberlisk, where you can hardly believe your ears. At 1:30 min., a "hissing" sample starts. This noise is well above 10 kHz. While it can be heard clearly and distinctly on the Zero 2, it disappears almost completely on the Blessing 3! Even when I increase the FR above 10kHz by 4 dB!
It's hard to believe. I experienced exactly the same thing with the Blessing 2.

This comparison has once again shown me,
how incredibly good the Zero 2 is.
As already mentioned, I consider the FX9 tips and the 4620 preset to be a must.

Doltonius

Yesterday I compared the Zero 2 with the Blessing 3.

View attachment 364227

The JVC FX9 were used as tips.
Both IEMs were set to Crinacle's 4620 preset.

It was a short fight.

In my opinion, the Blessing 3 doesn't stand a chance. The bass in particular seems much more detached and at the same time, more energetic on the Zero 2. In the highs, the B3 seems just as lacking in detail as its predecessor.

There are tracks, such as Amberland - Oberlisk, where you can hardly believe your ears. At 1:30 min., a "hissing" sample starts. This noise is well above 10 kHz. While it can be heard clearly and distinctly on the Zero 2, it disappears almost completely on the Blessing 3! Even when I increase the FR above 10kHz by 4 dB!
It's hard to believe. I experienced exactly the same thing with the Blessing 2.

This comparison has once again shown me,
how incredibly good the Zero 2 is.
As already mentioned, I consider the FX9 tips and the 4620 preset to be a must.
I think something's wrong; first, they shouldn't sound very different if eq'ed to the same target based on the 4620; second, in crinacle's own measurement of the two iems, blessing 3 clearly has better treble extension out of the box:
graph (18).png

Bow_Wazoo

That's the difference between theory and practice.
There are many members, especially in the ASR, who are of the opinion, that once we've talked about the FR and distortion, everything has been said.
I obviously don't agree with that.

Yesterday I compared the FH3 with the FH5s. Both were also adjusted to the 4620 preset.
And yes, of course, these two sound noticeably different.

But to be honest, I'm actually fed up with this fundamental discussion...

Top Bottom