• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 145 41.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 157 45.1%

• Total voters

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are no players more comprehensive than Neutron.
Think of it as a JRiver for Android.
Also hardest to master, because of its comprehensiveness.
UAPP is like a simplified Neutron, so not as comprehensive, but more user friendly.
Either can connect directly to any dac, bypassing Android system, do bit perfect or not.
I.e. use DSP.
Thanks for the scoop. I have been reading reviews and watching You Tube videos of each. For my purposes, kind of hard to go wrong with either, I think. And they are inexpensive.

fotogrofur

How would this be for my Home 2 channel stereo? Can I use it with my analog integrated amp? Does anyone use it directly plugged into a power amp?

Art of sound

How would this be for my Home 2 channel stereo? Can I use it with my analog integrated amp? Does anyone use it directly plugged into a power amp?
Its good as a desktop dac but the bass can be tighter with a desktop style dac. maybe the rose technics RT5000 which i hear has a similar midrange as mojo 2 but is better overall at this pricepoint. all this is subjective so i guess you won't lose much with the mojo2 which can be carried along with you if you want that versatility. cons are a longer boot time, gets hot over time and type c input seems to half the battery for me.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of people do.
However, with no remote and cable converter being needed, it is not as convenient.
Also both Chord portable DACs do not have isolation on the USB input, which could, in sone situations, cause a slight issue.
But if you need a portable DAC/headphone amp, that doubles as a desktop DAC, then yes, by all means.
Sound quality is flawless, all good DACs in a desktop situation are pretty much, the same. When it comes to driving difficult headphones, then Mojo2's output amp starts to shine.
Bass is light or midrange is not that sweet, is at best . . . personal opinions!

Last edited:

fotogrofur

Its good as a desktop dac but the bass can be tighter with a desktop style dac. maybe the rose technics RT5000 which i hear has a similar midrange as mojo 2 but is better overall at this pricepoint. all this is subjective so i guess you won't lose much with the mojo2 which can be carried along with you if you want that versatility. cons are a longer boot time, gets hot over time and type c input seems to half the battery for me.
Thanks!

stactum

I am using it in 2-channel stereo + subwoofer.
  • Eversolo DMP-A6 connected to Chord Mojo 2 via USB hence bypassing eversolo DAC
  • Chord Mojo 2 has 2 3.5mm outs, I connect each to RCA splitter, one goes straight to SUB, the other to Shchiit Vidar Amp to Tekton Lore speakers
The overall sound is quite pleasant and I have not calibrated it in any way.

IMG_3909.JPG

dtaylo1066

If you want portability, but more user friendliness for feeding a home pre or amp, the iFi Gryphon is more adaptable and has more input options, and the much less expensive Khadas Tone2 Pro has balanced out options, which the Mojo lacks.

LameImpala

If you want portability, but more user friendliness for feeding a home pre or amp, the iFi Gryphon is more adaptable and has more input options, and the much less expensive Khadas Tone2 Pro has balanced out options, which the Mojo lacks.
I assume you could use the ifi in the car through aux input?

dtaylo1066

I assume you could use the ifi in the car through aux input?
I actually have the older iFi iDSD Micro Black Label, which has an astounding amount of inputs and outputs. Just for kicks I have used it as a DAC/Pre feeding my home system and it works just fine. I can also feed SE analog into it, so I can actually listen to my turntable into it via its HP amp. Very flexible unit, a Swiss Army Knife. A bit long in the toothk but it got a thumbs up from Amir on review here as well. Gryphon is kind of a newer option, or the Diablo, which is expensive.

It has a single-end analog out controllable by the volume control so, yes, with the correct RCA cable you could easily input into your car audio''s 3.5 mm stereo input port, and I believe the Gryphon could do the same. Not sure about volume of its output.

My BL can actually served as a DAC with USB or SPIDF inputs, superb high power HP amp, or as a pre with digital or single end analog inputs with fixed or variable out into a home system. Tough to beat that in a portable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom