• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cover me I'm going in! - Post your favorite song covers.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Rewatched The General‘s Daughter last night… Got curious about film’s captivating opening track:

Apparently it‘s the Sea Lion Woman (but also See Line Woman and See Lying Woman), a folk song popularized by Nina Simone:

With the the movie version sampling the “original” sung by the Shipp sisters in 1939:

C643E3FB-D3B6-4F1D-A7E6-BCDC20206362.png

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Rewatched The General‘s Daughter last night… Got curious about film’s captivating opening track:

Apparently it‘s the Sea Lion Woman (but also See Line Woman and See Lying Woman), a folk song popularized by Nina Simone:

With the the movie version sampling the “original” sung by the Shipp sisters in 1939:

Wait, wait, wait! Forget about the song and Nina Simone and lying vs. line. You actually watched General's Daughter after having already seen it once?!?!

:D ;)

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Wait, wait, wait! Forget about the song and Nina Simone and lying vs. line. You actually watched General's Daughter after having already seen it once?!?!

Yep - about 20 years after we watched it initially. :) Somehow it popped up in my Netflix trending queue. And though I sorta remembered the twist, still enjoyed it - charming badass Travolta and the entire cast.

Have to admit, even enjoyed it more than this-day Netflix flicks like Red Notice, The Harder They Fall, or 6 Underground.

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Yep - about 20 years after we watched it initially. :) Somehow it popped in my Netflix trending queue. And though I sorta remembered the twist, still enjoyed it - charming badass Travolta and the entire cast.

Have to admit, even enjoyed it more than this-day Netflix flicks like Red Notice, The Harder They Fall, or 6 Underground.
I was mainly just teasing. I go back to my old titles all the time. And I agree modern equivalent are less entertaining (in my case at least). I saw Basic with Travolta just the other day. It falls along the more or less same lines of entertainment. Marauders with Bruce Willis was surprisingly fun to watch. It took me back to old days fun.

Pegwill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This time The Letter

The original version by the Box Tops

Then the master of cover versions, Joe Cocker, not sure who done the arrangement but a great version

Pegwill

Not the original version but close enough - Ghost riders in the sky

A variation on the same same theme by the one and only Leroy Troy- Ghost chicken in the sky

Pegwill

The Supremes - You keep me hanging on

Vanilla Fudge cover version

D

Deleted member 23424

Sonic Youth - Computer Age

Sonic Youth - I Wanna Be Your Dog

Sonic Youth - Psycho Mafia

Sonic Youth - Rowche Rumble

Thee Headcoates - Ça plane pour moi

Last edited by a moderator: