• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC Choices

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an Iphone 13 and an IPad Pro, and the Apple dongle thing from which I rememeber has a DAC ?
I use Roon so if I just feed my Niimbus with the Iphone or the Ipad and the adapter ? This would let me compare surely, or am I missing something really obvious here?
The above is a review of the apple headphone dongle, take a look.
Sure, you can compare them, but the Apple dongle has a headphone dongle and the Qutest is DAC only, with no headphone out.
Unless you intend to connect them to your home Hifi and compare them, which is doable.
No, you are not missing anything, you can compare the sound of the Apple dongle to that of the Qutest in this manner.
There is so much talk and complexity regarding listening test, and how it should be done right, in a strictly controlled manner, or else! that makes most listening test done by an amateur in a home environment not-valid.
But I don't think you care, or intend on publishing your findings.
At most, you get the wrong results, it wouldn't matter, you are just doing an experiment for the heck of it! Am I right?
Go ahead and do your experiment, it should be an eye opener and fun.
If you end up preferring the dongle to the Qutest, do two things:
- Sell me the Qutest for cheap.
- Book an appointment with a local chemist or GP, to check your hearing and possibly remove excess wax.
:)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Niimbus US5 Pro is my headphone amp
Aha!
You still need some cable adaptors, still, no problems.

Edit: is it really £6K ? really?
You should give me the Qutest for free and upgrade to a Dave or something!!
The Qutest is beneath you, You are loaaaaded.

OP
Womaz

Womaz

The above is a review of the apple headphone dongle, take a look.
Sure, you can compare them, but the Apple dongle has a headphone dongle and the Qutest is DAC only, with no headphone out.
Unless you intend to connect them to your home Hifi and compare them, which is doable.
No, you are not missing anything, you can compare the sound of the Apple dongle to that of the Qutest in this manner.
There is so much talk and complexity regarding listening test, and how it should be done right, in a strictly controlled manner, or else! that makes most listening test done by an amateur in a home environment not-valid.
But I don't think you care, or intend on publishing your findings.
At most, you get the wrong results, it wouldn't matter, you are just doing an experiment for the heck of it! Am I right?
Go ahead and do your experiment, it should be an eye opener and fun.
If you end up preferring the dongle to the Qutest, do two things:
- Sell me the Qutest for cheap.
- Book an appointment with a local chemist or GP, to check your hearing and possibly remove excess wax.
:)
Its for the heck of it yes. I guess I am thinking I must hear a difference. Anyway I have no idea how I would connect the Iphone to my Niimbus as it has no USB connection
I will google this as will probably need some sort of adapter

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Aha!
You still need some cable adaptors, still, no problems.

Edit: is it really £6K ? really?
You should give me the Qutest for free and upgrade to a Dave or something!!
The Qutest is beneath you, You are loaaaaded.
Yeah it was a lot of cash for me too:) I paid 5K UK pounds for it. Trust me I am not loaded but I spend cash on my passions. That is why I am fascinated by this forum.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
@Womaz

You need something like this. One end to go into your dongle, the other for your Nimbus.

1665520049838.jpeg

OP
Womaz

Womaz

Top Bottom