• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

someguyontheinternet

The interesting challenge is what to EQ it to, because on paper w/o EQ is already at target, but if I am hearing low bass then I have to define my own target!
Personal preference having some deviation from the target is normal. The Harman target represents an average after all.
After a lot of playing around with EQ I have come to the realization that I like a bit more bass and a bit less treble than the Harman target. Personally I think rather than just the curve, some area around the curve could be highlighted to represent this. It's not really necessary if you understand what the target represents, but it might make it easier for people who don't want to or can't invest the time to learn what the Harman target is and how it was developed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You do wear clothes though, don't you? :oops::oops::oops::oops:
I do. The concern is my trade secrets in measuring gear. Don't want to chance this thing learning from me....

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
One theme over on head-fi is what people are saying is a lack of macrodynamics - IOW, that punch in the bass. I'm inclined to agree with what you're saying here, esp. for a closed can... it's probably more heard than felt.
I don't know what that word refers to. It only makes sense in the context of musical structure and not gear or reproduction. Small signal low level dynamic range (microdynamics, I guess) is covered by linearity. Large signal dynamic range performance (macrodynamics?) by compression and distortion at high levels. The measurements show no problem here.

One thing I would note about these headphones is that they do not sound loud at all. This is a psychoacoustic effect. Low resonance, minimal compression and distortion take away some of the characteristics we associate with reproduced music. I don't have a better way to put this than to say that a laptop or small speaker or TV sound loud even at low level. They clip early, both mechanically and because the amps run out of power. But really good speaker systems don't sound loud even when outputting a lot of SPL.

Even when you turn up the volume the Stealth stay background.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The interesting challenge is what to EQ it to, because on paper w/o EQ is already at target, but if I am hearing low bass then I have to define my own target!
Changing the bass level is generally accepted good practice when it comes to the Harman Curve - you just tune in the level of bass that sounds good to you. If all you want to do is change bass level then add a Low Shelf filter at 105Hz with Q0.71, then add your Gain (+dB) or subtract Gain (-dB) to get your desired bass level.

tusing

I think a lot of people complaining about macrodynamics in the bass don't have a good seal. Once I've gotten a good seal, I've found it to be beautifully extended and punchy.

The Stealths are definitely more difficult to seal than a normal headphone, and it's easy to not notice when you have a bad seal. IMO future iterations of the Stealth really need cup swivel and a way to increase clamp force.

faheem

Forum Donor
iFi xCAN has this really annoying high pitched hum with the Stealth. Most audible when playing something at around 25hz.
The whine went away when I connected a fiio BTR5 to it. I also got better output Voltage. So now I use mine with the Fiio connected via 2.5mm

adude995

What's about the soundstage?
Is it good?
I've only found one or two persons here talking about it.
Is it on level with an standard open ear headphone?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1633002785462.png

$4800 in Germany. Why am i still considering this? #sendhelp

Dro

4000 USD turns into 4760 USD once you add VAT for Germany. Which in turn is 4109 EUR right now if you get currency exchange without any fees or markups. Then you have to add shipping costs. You are getting a fair price.

brandall10

It does seem to also be part of the complaint about 'macrodynamics' w/ these, that they don't seem to get loud w/ volume. I do experience a similar phenomena w/ my tuned KSE1200, or at least, that you can turn them up to very high levels without the apparent effect of listening to something very loud.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know what that word refers to. It only makes sense in the context of musical structure and not gear or reproduction. Small signal low level dynamic range (microdynamics, I guess) is covered by linearity. Large signal dynamic range performance (macrodynamics?) by compression and distortion at high levels. The measurements show no problem here.

One thing I would note about these headphones is that they do not sound loud at all. This is a psychoacoustic effect. Low resonance, minimal compression and distortion take away some of the characteristics we associate with reproduced music. I don't have a better way to put this than to say that a laptop or small speaker or TV sound loud even at low level. They clip early, both mechanically and because the amps run out of power. But really good speaker systems don't sound loud even when outputting a lot of SPL.

I have noted similar with my HE6se.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
@amirm any chance that you would be measuring the AEON 2 Noire? I got it yesterday and all I can say is that this is by far the best closed back headphone I have ever listened too. Kinda hard for me to believe the Stealth could be 4 times better than the Noire. I have been listening for hours since yesterday and haven't found yet a weakness in the Noire.

IMG_8399.jpeg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
At some point I will. I have to get through all the headphones here already.

@amirm I think you are going to love it ;) Also, please ask @MatrixAudio to send you a X-SABRE 3. You have to get your hands on that thing. It's just incredible.

Dro

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a little dismayed to see how many folks over in the Canjam thread at Head-fi did not like the Stealth, or rather, they thought it sounded like a really good open headphone but w/ fidelity in the $2-3k tier. It seems the Audeze CBRN and LCD-5 got the most praise even though it was noted their tuning is a bit flawed.

That's my ultimate issue w/ headphones in this tier. While I can afford a set, it better be great enough that it can be my one and only and the performance should justify the price that I won't second guess my purchase a year or two down the road... otherwise I'll let the used market dictate a purchase.

It's hard for me to put a lot of faith in Head-Fi. Page after page of "well you really should try the DragonFly Red because it's presentation is much more forward than the Onyx's recessed mids" or whatever... Obviously I haven't run a census or anything but I often feel the same people who so confidently espouse that degree of subjectivity are the first to dismiss anything evidence-based for no other reason than contrarianism, at least in the audio realm.

That said, do you happen to have a link or recall the models of any headphones they were comparing to? Nothing in my collection can match it, at least to my hobbyist ears, so I'd be interested to hear their alternatives as open backs aren't something I dig into very deeply. There's amlost nowhere outside my home where it's OK for people within 10 ft. to hear what I'm listening to, and of course inside the home it's hard to beat a proper 2.1. FWIW, the Denon 9200 is (was?) my favorite closed-back. if the pad cut-outs fit my ears better, I probably wouldn't even have tried the Stealth because I like the 9200 so much. But, maybe because it's built/designed by the Japanese, the cut-outs aren't big enough for my elephantitis lobes (I'm 6'5") and I have to fold my ears a little to get them in there. OK for about 90 minutes max, then I just get annoyed.

I agree w/ @amirm that HD800S has a tiny bit of extra spatial quality that makes for a fun ride. The Denon 9200 is so sensitive it can pummel you with the subwoofer effect with very little power (comparatively), but those 2 specific use cases are the only thing I've found so far where Stealth comes up a little short. I stress 'a little' - I've almost got the bass thing worked out, seems to be a matter of fit as @Dan Clark states. Keeping it 10 o'clock really does matter for my tastes. Possibly the spatial thing could be worked out, too, by boosting in the HD800's "magic" range but I'm too old to spend time fixing what ain't broken.

Because someone may find it useful, and (shameless self-promotion) because I'll probably be selling most of them soon, collection includes HD820, HD800S, T1 3rd Gen, Aeon X open and clsoed, Ether CX, Stellia, LCD-X, HD650, Sony MDR-Z1R, IEM-m9 and IEM-Z1R, and I used to have a K712 Pro modded for balanced connection but I shippd it to Amir for testing about 87 years ago so I fear it may have been swallowed by the monster that lives wherever he stores his to-do list. :)

Lack of resonances, foremost.

I think the bass issue might be because you are hearing low distortion for the first time. My reaction was that the Stealth sounded quite close to my in room sound at home. Clean and deep and even and so forth.
Crucial information, thanks for that. Very good chance you're right. I know it's not really possible to do accurate testing between headphones, but i've been trying my hardest before the 15 day return period is up by connecting Stealth + [other] to my A90 simultaneously and switching back and forth + level matching as fast as I can. I usually try to keep the [other] headphone a tiny bit louder than the Stealth so as not to risk accidental volume advantage, but so far it doesn't matter. Placebo/expectation bias or not, I have no urge to to use any other headphone. They all sound "messy" by comparison. Stellia's closest, but I can't track the individual instruments the way I can with Stealth and when a lot is happening within a recording it all sort of smears together. Which isn't necessarily bad; I mean, that's why tape is still used in 2021. but, like most I want the artist make those decisions.

Last edited:

brandall10

It's hard for me to put a lot of faith in Head-Fi. Page after page of "well you really should try the DragonFly Red because it's presentation is much more forward than the Onyx's recessed mids" or whatever... Obviously I haven't run a census or anything but I often feel the same people who so confidently espouse that degree of subjectivity are the first to dismiss anything evidence-based for no other reason than contrarianism, at least in the audio realm.

That said, do you happen to have a link or recall the models of any headphones they were comparing to?

The canjam thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/canjam-socal-2021-impressions-thread-september-25-26-2021.959896/

A good number of folks give their impressions, mostly against the LCD-5, CBRN, Meze Elite trying to suss out how the new flagships rank.

And I totally agree with you about head-fi in general. I'm a very early member (found it back in 2003) and drank the coolaid big time until about 5 years ago. To me it's absolutely useless for any type of DAC/amp impressions now. Just seeing someone like the uber-respected reviewer project86 wax poetic about a $2.5k DAC w/ $1.5k PS from Yulong (weren't they the *original* Topping AFA a Chinese brand that performed well for minimal cost, wtf?!)

That said, meet threads, and esp. CanJam I treat a bit differently, esp. when every headphone you can imagine is in the proximity to compare against. I tend to look at CanJam as a good way to get a read on the pulse of what people honestly think about new products hitting the market, as opposed to a manufacturer/product thread full of people gushing over recent purchases so it's a different kind of echo chamber.

Last edited:
Top Bottom