• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3700H AVR Review

rccarguy

Using all the same speakers makes sense but it's not a requirement. I like Multi-channel Stereo as it gives me the option to listen to different speakers together. For instance, I have the Sierra Towers as my Fronts. They offer crystal clear sound but under 80Hz they are limited. I have two HSU subwoofers that reinforce the bottom. That would be where most people stop.

However, Multi-channel Stereo allows me to add other textures... so I am using 7' towers that have dual 15" drivers for extra thump in the bottom. With Multi-channel stereo you can drive any combination of speakers that you like or just go back to normal stereo. It's a powerful option for customizing my sound options.

All channel stereo is pretty awful it's the same signal to all speakers. Not recommended.

Use music surround type mode like pro logic iix music, or I use logic 7 music surround.

Also a good stereo integrated amplifier will outclass a good av amplifier. Typically avrs suck for music. They're ok for doing everything, but you know what they say jack of all trades master of none. A stereo integrated amplifier does one thing it doesn't have video scaling, hdmi inputs, noisy circuits, multiple amplifiers etc.

My audiolab 8000s outclass many av amps

rccarguy

@RCAguy do You are saying i should go with for example nad 298 because difference will be audible?

I'm saying try a stereo integrated amp versus a AVR. I think it's ok to use bench tests however generally I feel a stereo system does stereo better than a AVR (in stereo mode)

My audiolab 8000q pre beats my lexicon mc-8. Lexico is good it with the audiolab it is far wider and higher presentation with better imaging.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All channel stereo is pretty awful it's the same signal to all speakers. Not recommended.

Use music surround type mode like pro logic iix music, or I use logic 7 music surround.

Also a good stereo integrated amplifier will outclass a good av amplifier. Typically avrs suck for music. They're ok for doing everything, but you know what they say jack of all trades master of none. A stereo integrated amplifier does one thing it doesn't have video scaling, hdmi inputs, noisy circuits, multiple amplifiers etc.

My audiolab 8000s outclass many av amps

I find when I generalize product ratings by various types ie. AVR vs Separates vs Integrated amp rather than testing and listening to each one individually I'm usually wrong. The beauty of the Denon 3700 is it has great specs and offers the ability to use external amplification if needed. The amount of configurations available with the Denon 3700 as the base unit is pretty much unlimited.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I love the BMR's. They offer a flat frequency response, crystal clear definition and great bass response down to 38Hz (-1dB) in my office according to REW. The bass is the best I've heard in a bookshelf speaker. The speaker offers an addictive clarity that has completely cured my upgradeitus in my office. At $1700 they offer an awesome value. I especially like them in smaller listening areas of 200sq ft at a 7' distance from the prime listening seat.
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com

View attachment 118216

Those bass drivers must be new. Mine has the original Scan Speak 8545-01 woofers that look much better with the cover on. I haven't got the covers yet so no photos haha..:D

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those bass drivers must be new. Mine has the original Scan Speak 8545-01 woofers that look much better with the cover on. I haven't got the covers yet so no photos haha..:D

Yes, Dennis Murphy replaced the Scan Speak 7" woofer with the SB Acoustics 6" Ceramic woofer in the new BMR's. It increases sensitivity a tad. He also adjusted the crossover to maximize frequency response. The other components are the same as the original version. The cabinets are really nice looking. There is a black version of the SB Acoustics 6" Ceramic woofer that he has used if the source runs out of the white cone. The speaker covers are magnetically attached. Very easy to take off or re-attach. I wish these speakers had feet. I have been too lazy to attach feet so I just bought some felt pads to keep the bottom from scratching.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I would go further, as Peter Walker supposedly had said:

Peter walker ( Quad) | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum
https://geocities.restorativland.org/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6722/pwint1.txt

We designed our valve amplifier, manufactured it, and put it on the market, and never actually listened to it. In fact, the same applies to the 303 and the 405.
People say, 'Well that's disgusting, you ought to have listened to it.'
However, we do a certain amount of listening tests, but they are for specific things.
We listen to the differential distortion - does a certain thing matter?
You've got to have a listening test to sort out whether it matters.
You've got to do tests to sort out whether rumble is likely to overload pickup inputs, or whether very high frequency stuff coming out of the pickup due to record scratch is going to disturb the control unit.
But we aren't sitting down listening to Beethoven's Fifth and saying, 'That amplifier sounds better, let's change a resistor or two. Oh yes, that's now better still.'
We never sit down and listen to a music record through an amplifier in the design stage.
We listen to funny noises, funny distortions, and see whether these things are going to matter, to get a subjective assessment.
But we don't actually listen to program material at all.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Regardless of whether the device is an integrated, or just an AVR, I would go further and say that if an amp measures good, and the important things are measured, I would buy it and not the one that measured poorly even if people say it sounded good. Sighted comparisons, especially when not done AB quickly in the same place using all the same peripherals, accessories, source media contents etc etc.., is unreliable. If something measured good and sounded bad, or sounded good but measured bad, then I would say it needs to be investigated, before drawing conclusions. That's just my opinion, and logic..:D

And I am biased, I only have one integrated amp because I don't prefer something in between, if I want to go for separates then I would go for something more "separate", that is at least something like external DAC, HD media player, streamer, turntable/cartridge, preamplifier and power amplifier. Integrated isn't that different than AVR, yes it doesn't have a tuner, and usually only two channels, that's about it, so, no thanks.:D

rccarguy

What is the power consumption of this avr is pure av pre mode for all channels?

Can you disconnect the power supply cable from the power supply to the amplifiers, that way true shut off

Or will that effect diagnostics of the unit, or create distortion at the pre outs

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is the power consumption of this avr is pure av pre mode for all channels?

Can you disconnect the power supply cable from the power supply to the amplifiers, that way true shut off

Or will that effect diagnostics of the unit, or create distortion at the pre outs

I measured the Denon 4700 in pre-amp mode with "Kill-a-Watt". Energy usage is 46W no matter whether setup in Stereo, Auro-3D or other modes. Energy usage stays the same regardless of Denon volume level in Pre-Amp mode. My guess is the Denon 3700 will be very close to that. The Denon measurements in pre-amp mode are included in Amir's review.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regardless of whether the device is an integrated, or just an AVR, I would go further and say that if an amp measures good, and the important things are measured, I would buy it and not the one that measured poorly even if people say it sounded good. Sighted comparisons, especially when not done AB quickly in the same place using all the same peripherals, accessories, source media contents etc etc.., is unreliable. If something measured good and sounded bad, or sounded good but measured bad, then I would say it needs to be investigated, before drawing conclusions. That's just my opinion, and logic..:D

And I am biased, I only have one integrated amp because I don't prefer something in between, if I want to go for separates then I would go for something more "separate", that is at least something like external DAC, HD media player, streamer, turntable/cartridge, preamplifier and power amplifier. Integrated isn't that different than AVR, yes it doesn't have a tuner, and usually only two channels, that's about it, so, no thanks.:D
Actually, in the Australian market they are not sold as avr-x3700h but avc-x3700h as you don't even get a tuner! Not sure why. Maybe they couldn't be bothered putting a DAB+ tuner for the market in so they didn't put one in at all. The "equivalent" Marantz's at least bother with an AM/FM tuner. Yamaha offers FM/DAB+.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, in the Australian market they are not sold as avr-x3700h but avc-x3700h as you don't even get a tuner! Not sure why. Maybe they couldn't be bothered putting a DAB+ tuner for the market in so they didn't put one in at all. The "equivalent" Marantz's at least bother with an AM/FM tuner. Yamaha offers FM/DAB+.

With Qobuz playing thru the Denon receiver via Audirvana off my computer I never use the tuner. In fact, when I setup my Denon 4700 I left the FM antenna in the box. No need for low res tuner feed that may or may not have static. :p

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Also a good stereo integrated amplifier will outclass a good av amplifier. Typically avrs suck for music.

It's hard for me to agree with this opinion, since the product tests here an ASR and other places don't seem to support that position. What I have seen is that *the best* stereo amps have better measured performance than the best AVR's. Even so, I don't think its audible without knowing if one is listening to their subjectively preferred type of gear. In other words, if someone A/B switched from a .004% SINAD product and a .0006% SINAD product(Denon AVR internal amps vs Purifi), I don't think you or anyone else would hear the difference under normal circumstances in accurate testing(i.e. not knowing if your favorite gear was playing or not). So if the difference(if any) is not audible in real life, does it suck for music?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hot is not a quantitative value. What temperature do you mean by hot?

Heat is generated by any of these components. For the AVR to run, cold, say 60 degrees F, one or more of the laws for thermodynamics would have to be violated.

Good thing there are only 3:D.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
With Qobuz playing thru the Denon receiver via Audirvana off my computer I never use the tuner. In fact, when I setup my Denon 4700 I left the FM antenna in the box. No need for low res tuner feed that may or may not have static. :p

I have not the radio tuners on any of my AVPs and AVRs for years. The last time I used it was on the 4308 and AV7005. I wish D+M standardize on AVCs like the European models and sell them for $5 less.

SlowCar

Ok, so You guys have calmed me down... I will go with this denon... If new setup will beat my Adam Audio a7x.
For such decision stands listening music though LG phone and senn headphoned right now and having a lot od fun. This site reccomended to me this phone as a music player and i am happy with it's music performance.
So i will only choose good floorstanding speakers that will beat my a7x ( in very subjective comparison) and finish my journey for few Years until something will broke up or big change come in music reproduction.

Thanks all for help.

Ps: those BMR are not avaiable in eastern Europę though some dealer?

Top Bottom