• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 3.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 72 21.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 178 54.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 69 21.0%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I found the first issue. Every time you change sound mode, or even when changing channels, the annoying amp relays kick in and very loud. The only way to avoid this is running the whole thing in pre amp mode :(

RF Air

Forum Donor
It’s crazy how they got it almost to 4700 AKM levels though isn’t it?
Yes, it's impressive to me. It hindsight, it appeared that the Denon Team realized there were shortcomings that they had to overcome. It appears they had the opportunity to change and embrace trending technology. TI DAC's offers something unique which is reliability. Denon obviously had unexpected costs to overcome changes to their product line mid-market stream, along with the 2020 HDMI debacle.

The addition of the 4 Sub Channel Standard, they also realized Dirac and the DSP upgrade were probably key for making a relevant leading product. I would not be surprised if Denon has a few more tricks up their sleeve when Dirac rolls out. HEOS is certainly a Denon/Marantz exclusive, maybe a version of Dirac or a proprietary form of Dirac only available with Denon Products could be in the future. It's okay to dream!

Thrill Killer

I bought mine last weekend. It was between this and the Cinema 50. But the 4800 did more of what I wanted it to do. If you haven't watched it yet. Watch the dealer session video on YT. I forget the name and link, sorry. But it was watching this video and the one on the cinema 50 that ultimately helped me choose the X4800H over the cinema 50.

RF Air

Forum Donor
I found the first issue. Every time you change sound mode, or even when changing channels, the annoying amp relays kick in and very loud. The only way to avoid this is running the whole thing in pre amp mode :(
Yeah that relay. It finally become kind of a comfort for me with a sensory confirmation that my AVR was behaving itself.

Carycinema

I bought mine last weekend. It was between this and the Cinema 50. But the 4800 did more of what I wanted it to do. If you haven't watched it yet. Watch the dealer session video on YT. I forget the name and link, sorry. But it was watching this video and the one on the cinema 50 that ultimately helped me choose the X4800H over the cinema 50.
I had the Cinema 50 and returned it. Having both, the 4800 to me sounds better.

RF Air

Forum Donor

Rockman2

Well I had an SR8015 that sold with my home. Loved it but it also had a large switcing sound when changing from sat to DVD and would not do it automatically when powering on either unit. And the TV had a lot of issues with the HDMI hand shake when switching back to the SAT receiver. This is something that I took not of in the Masimo training vid where Sound united works with many manufaturese of components to make sure the HDMI hand shake works and can be recognized by the AVR. I got different messages with my old st up. Like No signal or bad HDMI cable. Chang cable and same message. Hope this unit is better with this as it is frustrating.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yeah that relay. It finally become kind of a comfort for me with a sensory confirmation that my AVR was behaving itself.
OK, so the relay clicking sound is happening to your X4800H as well? I'm guessing this is normal for the X4800H? My X4700H does not do the clicking relay sound :( Gosh, I just sold my pair of Emotiva BasX A4 amps because I thought the X4800H was going to behave as the X4700H does......

mattsrs

OK, so the relay clicking sound is happening to your X4800H as well? I'm guessing this is normal for the X4800H? My X4700H does not do the clicking relay sound :( Gosh, I just sold my pair of Emotiva BasX A4 amps because I thought the X4800H was going to behave as the X4700H does......

Almost all receivers do it. My RZ50 did it randomly (assumed it was for eco mode stuff) and was so annoying. the new sonys do it to. At least with 4800 it is only when you change mode and such

sask15

In the 3800 review it had the charts showing SINAD vs Measured Level graphs but the 4800 doesn’t have them that I can see, am I missing It? Sorry if I am missing where it is displayed.

RF Air

Forum Donor
Amir is preparing my 4800 for shipment to me. It's another Denon AVR that I own. It's a design feature for control stability.

Newman

Major Contributor
Good to see Amir has stopped dissing 95 dB AVRs with comments like, “Worse than a $9 dongle!” “Unacceptable!”

This one is fine, agreed, an easy recommendation.

With each generation x600H -> x700H -> x800H the numbers seem to get a little worse for Denon. A most peculiar pattern.

CyrusTheGreat_600BC

So how’s it possible now that they get better than spec’ed TI chip SINAD in preamp mode? I think it was @peng who said TI SINAD is only 93dB.

Edit:
Is it possible that they binned the chips? Like what Intel and nVidia do for their higher CPU / Cards?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Amir is preparing my 4800 for shipment to me. It's another Denon AVR that I own. It's a design feature for control stability.
Honestly, it’s so annoying that I’m seriously considering return it and getting another X4700H.

JSmith

Master Contributor
eca4d627-58d2-4272-887d-2a04b46288f9.jpg
The Denon AVC-X4800H allows the connection of four subwoofers, compared to two on the AVC-X4700H. Similarly the AKM4458 is replaced by a Texas Instrument PCM5102A (384 kHz/32 bits, 8 channels). The DSP is an Analog Devices ADSP-21593 SHARC+ and the capacitors of the models have a capacity of 15,000 microfarads. The pre-amplifier mode allows to connect power amplifiers to individually selected channels. Note also a new HD and color graphic interface, plus compatibility with the 360 Reality Audio sound processing developed by Sony and the Mpeg-H standard. Dirac Live is planned via an upcoming firmware update.

6518168cv16d.jpg

denonavr-x3800he3powertransformer1.jpg

Thanks @RF Air & @amirm.

JSmith

RF Air

Forum Donor
Honestly, it’s so annoying that I’m seriously considering return it and getting another X4700H.
Is this occurring randomly? Or is it occurring when you are changing input or modes? It should not happen during program playback unless there is a LOS that is causing a disruption to the DSP. It would be worth a call to Denon Service to help sort out directly where they can assist you with a remedy.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
It’s happening when changing channels and the sound mode is upsampled from DD 5.1 to DD + DSurr or to any other upsampling audio mode like AURO 3D. Does not happens randomly.

Top Bottom