• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

digiface aes RME

morillon

Major Contributor
Has anyone tried -measured the new "Digiface AES" RME???

;-)
thank you...

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know of measurements. However, when I've seen measurements of RME over the years, they meet the specs they claim. So I'd feel pretty safe with RME that they will either meet spec or come really, really close (or slightly exceed them).

Last edited:
OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
but where is the interest in relation to a fireface uxc2? why such a price difference?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know the answer to that. At first blush the Fireface UCX ii seems a better deal than the Digiface AES, but there may be other reasons.

Perhaps Matthias Carstens from RME can tell us what the use case for each is. He posts here from time to time.
@MC_RME

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Digiface AES is a very specialized unit, specced and designed based on broadcast requests, that is produced in very small numbers. That raises its price signficantly, It should be clear from the limited analog I/O alone that this is not the usual audio interface that will appeal to many.

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
to be honest I didn t understand how it is compared to the ucx2 ...
uxc simplified...
;-)

Last edited:
OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
thank you

(I understand his interest.. but it is his tariff positioning that I did not understand ;-) )

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
thank you

(I understand his interest.. but it is his tariff positioning that I did not understand ;-) )
There are far fewer broadcasters than home audio enthusiasts or home recording artists. As a result, they don't expect to sell many. If development costs $100,000 and there are only 100 purchasers, they would need to charge $1000 per unit to cover costs. If there are 100,000 purchasers, they would only need to charge $1 to cover costs.

OP
morillon

morillon

Major Contributor
There are far fewer broadcasters than home audio enthusiasts or home recording artists. As a result, they don't expect to sell many. If development costs $100,000 and there are only 100 purchasers, they would need to charge $1000 per unit to cover costs. If there are 100,000 purchasers, they would only need to charge $1 to cover costs.
thank you so much for so precious explanation...
i m a little supid... ;-)

it's funny, it seems to me that this card could just be aimed at an ""amateur"" public not broadcaster and wider than the ucx precisely , perhaps in the end, I will only miss two asymmetrical outputs to be a "general public" hdg soundcard.... (if was located at a lower price than the ucx)
but ok...
i have ""explain""
;-)

Last edited:

paudio

Only the most expensive RME devices have a 12v trigger for instance. It's a nice feature to turn on other equipment.

Looks like low impedance headphone out first appears on Fireface UXC II. Everything else is 24ohm+. I like where RME is going with their interfaces.

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Only the most expensive RME devices have a 12v trigger for instance. It's a nice feature to turn on other equipment.
It’s only the ADI-2/4 Pro that has a trigger out.

The new audio interface flagship UFX III does not have a trigger out.

Looks like low impedance headphone out first appears on Fireface UXC II. Everything else is 24ohm+. I like where RME is going with their interfaces.

Not really new. The UFX II has 2 Ohm headphone output and was released januari 2017. The brand new UFX III also has 2 Ohm.

paudio

It’s only the ADI-2/4 Pro that has a trigger out.

Not really new. The UFX II has 2 Ohm headphone output and was released januari 2017. The brand new UFX III also has 2 Ohm.
True. Though the UFX are a much larger and much more expensive interface. The Babyface pro is a bit different format but does count.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But you could use any output to send a DC voltage out (up to 9.5V, which should be enough. If not, it's easy to add a relay and a 12V PS)

Top Bottom