• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Directiva r2 monitor prototype build

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
No, we are using the SB15NBAC30-4.
So is this a firm commitment to this SBA mid/woofer model?

I noticed in the other thread that other mid/woofer drivers (like SiG180) seemed to be the front-runner as recently as late March. I realize this is all volunteer work and there are no guarantees; I'm just trying to confirm my perception of the current plan, to the extent there is one.

I'm placing a large-ish order for drivers for a different project and it would be a convenient (and well priced) opportunity to get the SB15NBAC30-4 and the DXT tweeters. I will patiently wait for the crossover design to settle out, and realize it may be weeks/months/seasons before its "done", but it would be great if you could let me know your confidence the SB15NBAC30-4 will not change.

Thanks for all your effort on these designs, they have been great learning.

EDIT: or am I wrong in perceiving "budget Directiva" and "Directiva R2" to be the same project??

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Different projects as I understand it. This one has the SB15NBAC30-4 with a passive cardioid, to be used with a bass module / subwoofer as it rolls off blow ~100Hz. The SiG180 is proposed as a cheaper replacement for the Purifi driver in something close to the original Directiva design, going low enough that you may not feel the need for a subwoofer. That's why the measured Fs of the SiG180 being significantly higher than the datasheet says is an issue.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So is this a firm commitment to this SBA mid/woofer model?

I noticed in the other thread that other mid/woofer drivers (like SiG180) seemed to be the front-runner as recently as late March. I realize this is all volunteer work and there are no guarantees; I'm just trying to confirm my perception of the current plan, to the extent there is one.

I'm placing a large-ish order for drivers for a different project and it would be a convenient (and well priced) opportunity to get the SB15NBAC30-4 and the DXT tweeters. I will patiently wait for the crossover design to settle out, and realize it may be weeks/months/seasons before its "done", but it would be great if you could let me know your confidence the SB15NBAC30-4 will not change.
Confirmed. Stick to the 4 ohm. SIG180 is too large to be a substitute.

Thanks for all your effort on these designs, they have been great learning.

EDIT: or am I wrong in perceiving "budget Directiva" and "Directiva R2" to be the same project??

Separate projects, the budget one is closer to r1 than r2.

hex168

Confirmed. Stick to the 4 ohm. SIG180 is too large to be a substitute.

Separate projects, the budget one is closer to r1 than r2.
Your work on this is appreciated! Is the SIG180 too large because of cabinet size constraints, or the cardioid effect cannot be achieved over the needed band, or something else?

(I'm hoping to follow along on how this is designed, and then take a shot at something similar but with higher output. I guess I'll see if that will be possible. The Lavoce DF10.144LK, not out yet, looks very promising on paper. )

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your work on this is appreciated! Is the SIG180 too large because of cabinet size constraints, or the cardioid effect cannot be achieved over the needed band, or something else?

mainly cabinet size and also design constraints for achieving directivity target.

(I'm hoping to follow along on how this is designed, and then take a shot at something similar but with higher output. I guess I'll see if that will be possible. The Lavoce DF10.144LK, not out yet…

I recall @ctrl posted something he did with higher output.

Top Bottom