• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

E1DA Cosmos ADC

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Music1969, the first pic seems to be wrong. If you are talking about the short cable 3.5mm to male XLR to tie Cosmos APU to Cosmos ADC, please keep the pinout like your balanced pic shows(S-1; R-3; T-2). Please, use only as short as possible cables and well shielded too. @sarieri can tell the long story about fighting with noise without shielding at all ;)

sarieri

Forum Donor
@IVX I tried this Amazon cable with Scaler and it doesn't work - I see a lot of distortion.

Anything wrong with the wiring?

Male XLR:

View attachment 353676

and female XLR:

View attachment 353675
We probably got the same Amazon cable. They are not shielded at all.

I get much lower distortion with shielded cable. I believe shielded cable is #1 priority in Cosmos setup. Much more important than battery bank power. I power ADC, APU, Scalar with ldos and can still get pretty much same results as battery power.

lemmy_collins

@IVX I tried this Amazon cable with Scaler and it doesn't work - I see a lot of distortion.

Anything wrong with the wiring?

Male XLR:

View attachment 353676

and female XLR:

View attachment 353675
DO NOT USE THE MALE XLR with the scaler you're shorting differential output all together !!!
The female XLR looks ok but then you need a male XLR to male XLR to end your plugging.
(edit: not seen the previous answers sorry for the thread "spam")

nanook

@IVX : You are referring to TRRS in most cases, even for connections that have e.g. +, -, Gnd, Gnd or +, Gnd, Gnd, Gnd.
-> Would a more common, good quality TRS do as well or would you expect a disadvantage for one of the connections to/from the APU?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would a more common, good quality TRS do as well or would you expect a disadvantage for one of the connections to/from the APU?
For the Cosmos APU, you can use TRS plugs for inputs and TS plugs for outputs.

nanook

Ok., thanks for confirming.
I will use TRS and a decent cable for all connections. I was just wondering because I thought so far TRRS only used for headphone combined with microphone.

HpW

Technical Expert
HpW, try walking in my shoes, pls. I a single person do all things simultaneously. Where I can get time to make a custom FW for 22/24MHz osc?

Any news about an updated "TweakCosmosQT.exe 01-Sep-21" as settings are saved and no any guess how mono or stereo is configured??

In other words a valued TweakCosmosQT setup to come
:p

HpW

Technical Expert
@IVX , what's up with the E1DA Audio Store, can't find the Cosmos ADC anymore.

Yes, as from Spain as AliExpress side: "Sorry, we have detected unusual traffic from your network."

While today as was MS updating and even on ALiExpress connected.

The windows did result in not completed downloads! In addition BD AV reports: Sorry, we have detected unusual traffic from your network.

In other words: Big brother is watching :mad::mad::facepalm::facepalm:

IVX

Major Contributor
South of China, SHZ area, - Слава Україні
Before buying a reel of ES9039Q2M I decided to test 5pcs chips with the particular date code(not the same that I used for protos). The result is a bit better than 5pcs in protos.
MLCK=49MHz THD+N L, R / MLCK=24MHz THD L, R
1 -125.9, -125.9 / -146, -146
2 -125.3, -125.3 / -147, -147
3 -125.7, -125.6 / -145, -148
4 -125.6, -125.6 / -147, -148
5 -125.3, -125.3 / -146, -148
PS: 32/96.

Last edited:

JensH

Very nice performance!

You use two different MCLK frequencies. I assume that you get optimum results for THD+N with 49 MHz and best results for THD with 24 MHz.
Do you know how much you gain by changing the MCLK frequency?

Another question regarding the ES9039Q2M: on the ES9822PRO you found that there was some temperature dependence and you introduced a method to keep the ADC at a constant temperature. Have you seen a similar temperature dependence with the ES9039Q2M?

BluegrassDan

Hello, all. I just purchased the Cosmos ADCiso for studio recording use. I have a few questions (forgive me if this has been answered previously and I simply haven't found it.)

1. Running into Pro Tools, the output level peaks at -5.8dBFS, clipping the waveforms. Is there a way to set the ADC output for 0.0dBFS?
2. I'm confused by the "automatic" mono vs stereo. I just want the thing to spit out from each channel what goes in.
3. If one wanted to add a low latency headphone option, is there a recommended product?

P.S. Setting the input with DIP switches is no problem. It's the output that bugs me. Using MacOS, by the way.

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Top Bottom