• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Benedium

Forum Donor
Look at this, specially the last post:

Oops sorry my bad.

Phidel

Oops sorry my bad.

hmmm... I don't like this from Marantz, this model hasn't AudisseyEQ and also it doesn't filter the output to the speakers thus the speakers would play also the bass signal, there is any solution or alternative? :(

Benedium

Forum Donor
hmmm... I don't like this from Marantz, this model hasn't AudisseyEQ and also it doesn't filter the output to the speakers thus the speakers would play also the bass signal, there is any solution or alternative? :(
Quickly return the nr1200 and get an avr with audyssey XT/XT32. Don't worry that you won't use all the other speaker channels. Lots of people don't use all the channels.

Phidel

Quickly return the nr1200 and get an avr with audyssey XT/XT32. Don't worry that you won't use all the other speaker channels. Lots of people don't use all the channels.

I think in a 2.1 config its not mandatory the Audyssey function because I can set the distances manually via Marantz app. The real problem is the non filter output for the sub and I really want to know if there is any fix/solution for that.

EDIT: can this fix the problem?

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think in a 2.1 config its not mandatory the Audyssey function because I can set the distances manually via Marantz app. The real problem is the non filter output for the sub and I really want to know if there is any fix/solution for that.

EDIT: can this fix the problem?

I would avoid adding another box if you can. The Marantz has Audessey and using it will set your speaker crossovers. As others said set the fronts to small.

Phidel

I would avoid adding another box if you can. The Marantz has Audessey and using it will set your speaker crossovers. As others said set the fronts to small.

The nr1200 has not Audessey features... Can anyone show me what another receiver or amp I can get for my config:

- Good 2.1 sound for DBR62 + 10.2s
- Audessey.
- Sub out.
- HDMI ARC.

Benedium

Forum Donor
The nr1200 has not Audessey features... Can anyone show me what another receiver or amp I can get for my config:

- Good 2.1 sound for DBR62 + 10.2s
- Audessey.
- Sub out.
- HDMI ARC.
I'm using denon x3600h, which has very good reviews here. The latest version is the x3800h. I'm only using 5 channels and 2 subwoofers. You can get cheaper models but do download the manual to make sure you can set speaker crossovers before committing to a purchase.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about this? It seems near perfect that I'm looking for

I wouldn't expect much support for something with vacuum tube technology as a selling point on this forum. They measure poorly because they a distortion factories, are expensive, and tend to be low power compared to a modern solid state amplifier.

Phidel

I wouldn't expect much support for something with vacuum tube technology as a selling point on this forum. They measure poorly because they a distortion factories, are expensive, and tend to be low power compared to a modern solid state amplifier.

:( I thought it had good sound quality

Looking at the nr1200 manual's I found this information:

upload imageshack

The nr1200 has a LPF feature, is this what I need? Tomorrow it will arrive from Amazon and I will be able to try it.

On the other hand I saw other (new) options like Denon AVR-S660H, 760H or 960H for example, they are all similar with more or less channels and surrounding features like better Audyssey but the first and cheapest option (AVR-S660H) It has subwoofer crossover:

upload imageshack

is this what i need? If this model has this feature and basic Audyssey, should I go for it? or is the nr1200 with its LPF option enough?

Last edited:

mariusound

I bought a christmas present myself - DBR62 with Bluesound Powernode and oh boy what a joy i got stuck into. This is my first system, but exploring, listening and finding old songs sounding completely different has become my habit daily. I will make a separate post with more details.

@Phidel maybe this is what you're looking. Blueseound powernode 2021 is a 80w stereo system with HDMI E-Arc . The subwoofer output has crossovers. Its now connected to LG C2 through HDMI, and it automatically switches to HDMI input when i turn on tv, and i control volume through tv remote. The sound is clear and i hear the vocals from tv and any movies perfectly.

Give it a thought.

Benedium

Forum Donor
:( I thought it had good sound quality

Looking at the nr1200 manual's I found this information:

upload imageshack

The nr1200 has a LPF feature, is this what I need? Tomorrow it will arrive from Amazon and I will be able to try it.

On the other hand I saw other (new) options like Denon AVR-S660H, 760H or 960H for example, they are all similar with more or less channels and surrounding features like better Audyssey but the first and cheapest option (AVR-S660H) It has subwoofer crossover:

upload imageshack

is this what i need? If this model has this feature and basic Audyssey, should I go for it? or is the nr1200 with its LPF option enough?
I prefer to use the term Speaker Crossover as it should be a setting under individual speakers. Subwoofer LPF of LFE only controls what goes into the subwoofer, not what goes into your speakers. I think what u need is to control what goes into the Speakers. But to be fair maybe some amps/receivers may default to 80hz speaker crossover once subwoofer option is turned on?

Phidel

I bought a christmas present myself - DBR62 with Bluesound Powernode and oh boy what a joy i got stuck into. This is my first system, but exploring, listening and finding old songs sounding completely different has become my habit daily. I will make a separate post with more details.

@Phidel maybe this is what you're looking. Blueseound powernode 2021 is a 80w stereo system with HDMI E-Arc . The subwoofer output has crossovers. Its now connected to LG C2 through HDMI, and it automatically switches to HDMI input when i turn on tv, and i control volume through tv remote. The sound is clear and i hear the vocals from tv and any movies perfectly.

Give it a thought.

Very very interesting option, the only cons I see are no DSD suppport (not mandatory for me), no remote control (not a problem for me, I will control across the TV remote) and hasn't an Audyseey function (I don't know if it is mandatory in a 2.1 config). For the rest is a very attractive option. Many thanks man!!

I prefer to use the term Speaker Crossover as it should be a setting under individual speakers. Subwoofer LPF of LFE only controls what goes into the subwoofer, not what goes into your speakers. I think what u need is to control what goes into the Speakers. But to be fair maybe some amps/receivers may default to 80hz speaker crossover once subwoofer option is turned on?

I'm not sure, but I think this is the more logical thinking about that, the user wants to separate the low freq and send it only to the sub. Anyone know it?

Benedium

Forum Donor
Very very interesting option, the only cons I see are no DSD suppport (not mandatory for me), no remote control (not a problem for me, I will control across the TV remote) and hasn't an Audyseey function (I don't know if it is mandatory in a 2.1 config). For the rest is a very attractive option. Many thanks man!!

I'm not sure, but I think this is the more logical thinking about that, the user wants to separate the low freq and send it only to the sub. Anyone know it?
Based on my receiver and multiEQ app, I noticed the crossover options for all my speakers also range from 40hz to 250hz, so its likely the nr1200 will perform as u wish.

I have the same system ss @mariusound: Powernode with dbr62. You can get a remote for the Powernode. You also have the option of setting Sub crossover frequency, which I’m still experimenting with.

Last edited:

Phidel

At this moment I'm considering the Powernode and the Denon AVR-S970H. Maybe I preffer the Denon because it has Auddyssey EQ, more channels (for a possible surround config), etc. the only aspect the Powenode is a better option is for its sub out, but I think the S970H also has that function seeying the manual:

At this moment I'm considering the Powernode and the Denon AVR-S970H. Maybe I preffer the Denon because it has Auddyssey EQ, more channels (for a possible surround config), etc. the only aspect the Powenode is a better option is for its sub out, but I think the S970H also has that function seeying the manual:
Slight difference in size, lol

kolestonin

Topping E30
Topping Pre-90
boxem audio Arthur 3409/N2
SVS SB1000pro

Almost 3 months I use the speakers and I can say I am satisfied with their sound.

I realized their value from the first time I listened to them but wasn't so happy from the beginning.

I was finding the highs recessed to an extend that the indisputable no-fatigue experience was many times becoming a non-engaging(or even boring) experience.

First thing that changed things in a positive way was setting low pass filter at 60Hz(as suggested by SVS when you use the speakers with a pre-amp) with a 24db slope. LPF was initially set at 80Hz(that's the suggestion when not using a pre-amp) as my Pre-amp was not making part of the chain. And for a reason I insisted setting it AT 80Hz during the first period(even after pre-90 arrival), and that was making the bass richer but also a bit boomy. Highs were also more recessed. But setting LPF at 60Hz seems to put everything in place in a magic way. Bass is more crisp, detailed, and highs came some steps forward.

The second and most positive impact came by moving the speakers 10cm further from the back wall. The difference these 10cm made is something incredible. Speakers found a lot of their missing energy. Bass became more articulate, complicated, powerful and there is also a, almost inexistent before, tactile feeling. Highs and mids were also benefited. It was like the speakers were not ‘breathing’ in a way before. It seems I underestimated their need from back wall distance given they are front ported. I experimented a lot with toe in, distance between the speakers, distance with the listening position, but I wrongly assumed there is no need to move them a bit forward, given my previous rear-ported speakers were perfectly fine with this wall distance. So I thought this could not be a problem with the front ported Elac's. But this is not true. And imagine they are not placed way far from the back wall. Initially they were placed at 20cm and now they have a 30cm distance. I am pretty sure that most of you give more space on the back of your Elac's. But in my case everything more than 30cm starts to give me serious space and usage of my living room troubles. It is interesting I also try to give them another 5cm(the most I can do) and the result was worse. So it seems(or I hope) I found the sweet spot.

Now everything is better and I already said I am satisfied with the speakers. Not completely though, as while I definitely enjoy them, I still have a feeling there is a lack of energy and excitement factor. A feeling that they leave something to be desired. But this feeling can be due to the infinite chase for a better sound which is part of our hobby after all. One hobby to which I am new so I have lack of knowledge and experience with many speakers(so to be able to compare) and an excess of enthusiasm for better gear. But I tend to believe that what my untrained ears perceive as ‘lack of energy’ is due to my living room size. Yes 30 sq meters is not a large room. But it is not a small one too. And I think my dbr62 are struggling to fill that room. It would be interesting to have some feedback from owners using the speakers in a similar sized room and willing to share their experience. Or eventually some placement or other techniques which helped their speakers sine as they should.

I try to read and gain knowledge on sound matters and equipment, also thinking to eventually drop myself in the rabbit hole of room calibration software, try some room treatment and off course considering what will be my next upgrade with no time pressure given I like the Elac’s. If I keep them, a 2nd subwoofer will be my best bet I guess. If I decide to change them, I will go with some bigger maybe 3 way speakers like the Whaferdale 85 Linton’s for example or a pair of floor standers.

ps1: I know that terms like rich, recessed, excitement factor etc, do not say a lot to you but unfortunately I have no measurements as a scientific proof of what I hear.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 165
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've just assembled a semi-vintage analogue system that includes a Technics SL-1800 (full rebuild and refurb) with AT VM95ML, an £80 Denon PMA725R which is veritable brute, a Denon TU-260L mk2, and a Sony metal cassette deck (purely for aesthetics, as I long since owned any cassettes); and an S1 Sonos connect for all things digital.
I started out with some Diamond 9.1 but they have serious upper mid issues in my room, and they're not big enough as it's a large room. Luckily they were only a £99 punt, and I can return them, tomorrow the Elac DBRs arrive so will be interested to see how they work out. I picked them up open box for £404 finest British pounds, man maths that equals £304 after the return of the Wharfedale's so everyone is happy.
I'll go back and read the rest of this thread now, just for fun.

Bernard23

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is well worth watching, as an engineer and professionally working in measurement science, it helps to provide some explanation as to why consumer audio is not as consistent (and certified) in the way that for example aircraft components are. Once you realise this, then the whole point of objective testing that Amir and others do is blindingly obvious, with one caveat: will you actually like the sound of ground truth!
This explains perhaps why a significant number of reviews find the Elac speakers a bit underwhelming, boring even. Probably because the original recording or even the artist was cr8p in the first place. Once I started reading this, I knew I had to have a pair!

Top Bottom