• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

lofiguy

I trialed FabFilter Pro-Q3 recently for PEQ and it's a neat piece of VST. Cool thing is you can run it within SoundSource in MacOS. The VST comes with tons of built in PEQ profiles, but you can also setup your own. Only unfortunate thing is the PEQ profile is not exportable as a universal file type such .txt file, it is in proprietary .ffp format. It's definitely a great piece of software for $179 but expensive enough that a casual audiophile may turn away from it.
Casual audiophile? Cheap audiophile I can get behind.

On sale now for $135!

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't understand why Audiohijack [sic; it's actually Audio Hijack] is described as "not bit perfect"? All equalizers are by definition not bit perfect ...

Also, all hosting software that works for routing on the Mac is not bit perfect, AFAIK. Or rather, it's not up to them. The source app will have its own volume control and it's up to that app to have unity gain setting or not. Almost all do not, apparently.

There's a second thing going on with sample rate. Audio Hijack does not follow the source's sample rate if it changes. If that's what the "not bit perfect" is about then that should be annotated. But anyway it's listed as an equalizer -- which is just one of its functions. Which is really executed by a built-in AU plugin for that function. Anyway I refer back to my original point that equalizers are not bit perfect by definition.
I corrected the text. Thank you for your recommendation. :D

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Foxenfurter

Have you got Cavern EQ on your list? http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/downloads.php

I got the usual warning when I downloaded but my scanner did not see a problem.

I just had a go as I have been mucking about with REW all day - seems very easy to get a measurement and export to some common devices.
NB - I have no affiliation to the company.

MrBlitzpunk

Is there an EQAPO extension that enables me to quickly turn the EQ on off without having to open the app? Like from the system tray or something? Because PeaceGUI tray menu doesn't have the option to turn the EQ off, unless there's a way that I'm not aware off

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there an EQAPO extension that enables me to quickly turn the EQ on off without having to open the app? Like from the system tray or something? Because PeaceGUI tray menu doesn't have the option to turn the EQ off, unless there's a way that I'm not aware off
1639512311366.png

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Have you got Cavern EQ on your list? http://cavern.sbence.hu/cavern/downloads.php

I got the usual warning when I downloaded but my scanner did not see a problem.

I just had a go as I have been mucking about with REW all day - seems very easy to get a measurement and export to some common devices.
NB - I have no affiliation to the company.
Thanks. I had not heard of this. I'll play tomorrow!

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
i tried that, seems that it only works if peace is running in the background. so everytime i boot up my PC i have to boot up peace first before that hotkeys work. i guess that's the best option then
Windows will gladly do that for you. It is called "startup" directory.

ricof

Hi all. New member here. I have measured my room using REW and now I am unsure how to use the resultant filters. I'm using a very old mac (10.11) and I would like to know what software will accept .txt filters or .wav impulses.

Many thanks in advance.

Foxenfurter

I feel sorry for all the newcomers or non members that ever lands to this thread and will get so misleaded by so much blatantly and subjective nonsense. I was used to this at facebook groups but not so much here.

I hope those with some minimal technical knowledge about speaker design and sound reproduction will evaluate the topic based on both reviews posted at this very site instead.
Could you elaborate? I have recently read this thread to see if anyone had posted about some room/speaker measurement software I had been trying, I hadn't seen much subjective stuff here a few posts about trusting your ears excepted.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I feel sorry for all the newcomers or non members that ever lands to this thread and will get so misleaded by so much blatantly and subjective nonsense. I was used to this at facebook groups but not so much here.

I hope those with some minimal technical knowledge about speaker design and sound reproduction will evaluate the topic based on both reviews posted at this very site instead.
What is it that you are looking for? I made the thread but I don't read all the commentary because it's just not relevant to me. If I can make a improvement let me know and I'll see what can be done.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ohh I feel absolutely sorry. I posted on the wrong thread. Damm phone browser tabs, but still don’t know how I could miss that. One shouldn’t live or do things this fast paced. I’ll delete the previous post.

By the way, this thread rocks an it has been on my watch list for a long time.

N9R

I'm using MFreeformEqualizer for system equalization on speakers and headphones.

It's a plugin, VST, VST3, AU and AAX, 32/64 bit, Win/Mac, made by Meldaproduction (currently half price, £21). My Audio hub is an ASIO DAW running on Windows.

It's a bit different to typical equalizers, in that it doesn't have "bands" - the equalization is continuous, and so you can simply draw the line of the curve you want and this is precisely represented in the output

You can also build the EQ profile using points and curves.

ffeq.png

You can also import an EQ curve.. What I've been able to do in the image above is, using a spreadsheet, take a text-exported measurement set (averaged and optionally smoothed) from REW (captured using UMIK-1), invert that response and translate it into the text format used for MFreeformEqualizer.

Once it's imported, I end up with an exact mirror image of the unequalized speaker response. Using plugin analysis tools I can see that the actual equalized output from the plugin matches the curve with extreme precision.

After some manual edits to the curve (e.g. chopping off boosts where room nulls are being chased too far, removing frequencies below the speakers' capability) I have got the best results for system EQ yet.

The plugin works in Minimal Phase (zero latency) or Linear Phase (~175ms latency). Oversampling can be set from 1x to 4x.

I'm due to do a recalibration soon, after moving some things in the room about, so I can do a more in-depth post on this process with screenshots etc if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I'm using MFreeformEqualizer for system equalization on speakers and headphones.
Can this be used for audio playback via ASIO on Foobar, jRiver and other players? Thank you!

N9R

Can this be used for audio playback via ASIO on Foobar, jRiver and other players? Thank you!

If your player supports hosting the plugin formats I mentioned, or your player's output feeds something else that does using the ASIO protocol, then yes, there should be no problem.

In my case, I use an RME RayDAT audio interface, which:
  • Has 36/36 channels of audio I/O
  • Has a multi-client ASIO driver
  • Can loopback channel outputs to channel inputs
..so I'm able to use ASIO output in my player (which is MusicBee), which loops back to input channels in my DAW (which is Bitwig), which hosts the plugins and also uses ASIO for SPDIF output to my DAC.

General Windows audio is also able to go through this loopback, which means I have one point for full system equalization on all sources (this includes all other external sources that arrive at the audio interface: vinyl, cassette, R2R, mixing consoles etc) with monitoring outputs (speakers, headphones) having individual EQ profiles.

OP
Doodski

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

It's a plugin, VST, VST3, AU and AAX, 32/64 bit, Win/Mac, made by Meldaproduction (currently half price, £21). My Audio hub is an ASIO DAW running on Windows.

It's a bit different to typical equalizers, in that it doesn't have "bands" - the equalization is continuous, and so you can simply draw the line of the curve you want and this is precisely represented in the output

You can also build the EQ profile using points and curves.

ffeq.png

You can also import an EQ curve.. What I've been able to do in the image above is, using a spreadsheet, take a text-exported measurement set (averaged and optionally smoothed) from REW (captured using UMIK-1), invert that response and translate it into the text format used for MFreeformEqualizer.

Once it's imported, I end up with an exact mirror image of the unequalized speaker response. Using plugin analysis tools I can see that the actual equalized output from the plugin matches the curve with extreme precision.

After some manual edits to the curve (e.g. chopping off boosts where room nulls are being chased too far, removing frequencies below the speakers' capability) I have got the best results for system EQ yet.

The plugin works in Minimal Phase (zero latency) or Linear Phase (~175ms latency). Oversampling can be set from 1x to 4x.

I'm due to do a recalibration soon, after moving some things in the room about, so I can do a more in-depth post on this process with screenshots etc if anyone's interested.
I apologize if I took a long time to get around to adding your EQ suggestion. I've been very busy lately and lagged a bit. I added the MFreeformEqualizer to the Win and Mac listings. Does this install right into Windows or does it require some sort of additional software.

Top Bottom