• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Extreme Snake Oil

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So -- I was just reading through a (pretty darned inane, actually) thread Someplace Else about our friend at "GR Research" and ran across a bon mot about cooking cables vs. cryogenic treatment... and it gave me pause.

Do cryogenically-treated components burn in? If so -- what the heck does that mean?!?
:eek:;) :cool:
:facepalm:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
So -- I was just reading through a (pretty darned inane, actually) thread Someplace Else about our friend at "GR Research" and ran across a bon mot about cooking cables vs. cryogenic treatment... and it gave me pause.

Do cryogenically-treated components burn in? If so -- what the heck does that mean?!?
:eek:;) :cool:
:facepalm:
Sometimes the instructions say "cook from frozen", the rest of the time you need to defrost first. But you should always check it is piping hot and let it rest for two minutes.

Punter

Some of you may remember the Less Loss Blackbody V2 which was created to neutralize cosmic radiation in your listening environment, well, can you believe that the "engineers" at Less Loss have now created a tweak for a tweak. I give you dear readers, the "Less Loss Blackground"!

BLACKGROUND_20-820x513.jpg

Sadly, my weak intellect is unable to describe the workings of this cutting edge device so I will leave that to LessLoss’ CEO Louis Motek.
“BlackGround pairs real-time voltages in the sound system with the ground potential to in effect generate a continuous lower impedance path for the cosmic ionic particle influx to follow. Any electrical discharge always chooses the path of least resistance. That’s what BlackGround represents because it is always at the exact same voltage as the signal. Thus atmospheric noise is dealt with before it interferes with the music signal we want to protect. Because the path follows the signal voltages in real time, we could in fact say that to this cosmic noise the music signal itself becomes the conductor instead of succumbing to being modulated by it. Why more and more BlackGrounds are effective is that each additional unit further lowers this impedance path for less and less intermodulation with the signal.”

WOW!, once again, high-end HiFi technology is beyond the bleeding edge!

But wait, there's more!

These benefits can be multiplied by adding more of them in parallel!

BLACKGROUND_Series.jpg

Now I know at this point, the hair will be prickling on the back of your neck and you will be reaching for your credit card. And why wouldn't you? They're a mere US$446 each! but of course that's on top of US$1043 for the Black Body V2 which this tweak is intended to tweak, oh and US$12.80ea for the wires that connect them together. Worth it though when you get these kind of results...

"After several weeks spent with an army of BlackGrounds, the sensation was as if their contribution in my room was very much akin to the BlackBody v2’s general influence. The former also proved itself as a noise-killer type for sure, so a device groomed for backdrop blackness and all other well-known upshots; higher density, contrast ratio and smoothness. The twist came in the form of all the extra softness, reverb, spatial order and tone, particularly audible in the upper band. Other noise trimmers I’m aware of didn’t boost these traits as much as the BlackGround. The delta of these changes in my setup had me quite surprised, mainly because it already incorporates a number of passive measures meant to combat incoming noise and clean up all its junctures from any residual glare and spikes. That’s why prior to trying BlackGrounds I already viewed my existing platform as fully cured and pristine on that specific front. It wasn’t. There was still room for more."

Apparently there's no limit to how many of these you can connect together. I imagine at some point, they would open up a portal in space-time and transport you to Audiophile Valhalla! One thing to bear in mind though

"It’s fair to say that the BlackGround isn’t meant for skeptics who need measurements to know whether such accessories make any audible difference or not. If you’re in that group, I’m afraid that you’ve wasted your time. Meanwhile, adventurous listeners who rely on their cognitive skills and have all key bits of their setups sorted may want to give the BlackGround a shot. This is one of the most potent accessories in the LessLoss portfolio right now and particularly surprising when paired with BlackBody v2. Now that you know it exists, hopefully this review proved at least somewhat useful as yet another data point of what you might personally experience."

Riiiiight...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some of you may remember the Less Loss Blackbody V2 which was created to neutralize cosmic radiation in your listening environment, well, can you believe that the "engineers" at Less Loss have now created a tweak for a tweak. I give you dear readers, the "Less Loss Blackground"!

View attachment 328572

Sadly, my weak intellect is unable to describe the workings of this cutting edge device so I will leave that to LessLoss’ CEO Louis Motek.
“BlackGround pairs real-time voltages in the sound system with the ground potential to in effect generate a continuous lower impedance path for the cosmic ionic particle influx to follow. Any electrical discharge always chooses the path of least resistance. That’s what BlackGround represents because it is always at the exact same voltage as the signal. Thus atmospheric noise is dealt with before it interferes with the music signal we want to protect. Because the path follows the signal voltages in real time, we could in fact say that to this cosmic noise the music signal itself becomes the conductor instead of succumbing to being modulated by it. Why more and more BlackGrounds are effective is that each additional unit further lowers this impedance path for less and less intermodulation with the signal.”

But wait, there's more!

View attachment 328573

Now I know at this point, the hair will be prickling on the back of your neck and you will be reaching for your credit card. And why wouldn't you? They're a mere US$446 each! but of course that's on top of US$1043 for the Black Body V2 which this tweak is intended to tweak, oh and US$12.80ea for the wires that connect them together. Worth it though when you get these kind of results...

"After several weeks spent with an army of BlackGrounds, the sensation was as if their contribution in my room was very much akin to the BlackBody v2’s general influence. The former also proved itself as a noise-killer type for sure, so a device groomed for backdrop blackness and all other well-known upshots; higher density, contrast ratio and smoothness. The twist came in the form of all the extra softness, reverb, spatial order and tone, particularly audible in the upper band. Other noise trimmers I’m aware of didn’t boost these traits as much as the BlackGround. The delta of these changes in my setup had me quite surprised, mainly because it already incorporates a number of passive measures meant to combat incoming noise and clean up all its junctures from any residual glare and spikes. That’s why prior to trying BlackGrounds I already viewed my existing platform as fully cured and pristine on that specific front. It wasn’t. There was still room for more."

Apparently there's no limit to how many of these you can connect together. I imagine at some point, they would open up a portal in space-time and transport you to Audiophile Valhalla! One thing to bear in mind though

"It’s fair to say that the BlackGround isn’t meant for skeptics who need measurements to know whether such accessories make any audible difference or not. If you’re in that group, I’m afraid that you’ve wasted your time. Meanwhile, adventurous listeners who rely on their cognitive skills and have all key bits of their setups sorted may want to give the BlackGround a shot. This is one of the most potent accessories in the LessLoss portfolio right now and particularly surprising when paired with BlackBody v2. Now that you know it exists, hopefully this review proved at least somewhat useful as yet another data point of what you might personally experience."

Riiiiight...
1700695156534.jpeg

Is that thing... rusty?
Ach du lieber!

PS Seeing the quoted material in your post puts me to mind of John Winston Lennon.

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup...

It's worse than "TL/DR" -- more like "TS/DR". ;)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Co třeba tohle?

Edited by Moderator: How about this?
(Please post in english)

Usual "Ethernet is noisy" stuff. This used to be "extreme" but is now just the same old normal snake oil. Anywhere you need a switch, a cheap one will do and will cover exactly the same purpose, including reducing noise.

The guy says "if you are worried, use an audiophile Ethernet switch" a lot, and says that this one has the usual things they always put in. The secret is not to worry. If you have to worry about it, it will be obvious, not in any way subtle.

AdrianusG

View attachment 328572

But wait, there's more!

View attachment 328573

Riiiiight...
This is what you get when you let the loonies run the Asylum!, goes for the producer of these items, but even more so for this reviewer, either he actually believes his own crap, or he gets paid a shipload of money, or both.:facepalm::eek:

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The former also proved itself as a noise-killer type for sure, so a device groomed for backdrop blackness and all other well-known upshots; higher density, contrast ratio and smoothness. The twist came in the form of all the extra softness, reverb, spatial order and tone, particularly audible in the upper band.
Wait a second ... You forgot to coat the walls and ceiling in copper, for your computer monitor or TV. Use silver if you are a real enthusiast and not just pretending.
Is that thing... rusty?
Seems heating it to extreme temperature is part of the ritual that is performed to control the cosmic force.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Guess the manager of Mount Doom has trouble selling magical rings these days and chose to switch business strategy.

Karmacoma

Forum Donor

View attachment 328572

But wait, there's more!

View attachment 328573

Riiiiight...
Ground breaking tech!
I hope their next product will finally deal with the cosmic microwave background, that damn Big Bang's messing with my transients!

JimBean

Was browsing a thread on Black Friday deals on another forum and came across this: CE Generator

Ten percent off these magical "clean energy generators", which look delicious. Here's the description of the product (audiophool claims have been emboldened by me)

"Audio Magic's New CE Generators

Jerry Ramsey at Audio Magic has been developing novel products from innovative technologies for many years. Whether liquid conductor cables, or products ranging from Audio Fuses to Black Out Paint for circuit boards based on EMI/RFI absorbing materials, these products have been both successful, and to some extent, head-scratchers.

True to form, Jerry's latest creations, called CE Generators ("Clean Energy Generators" - $150 ea. or $399/3) are difficult to understand, but boy do they work.

A back story is in order: Jerry took a 2 week intensive course on health with a holistic doctor. One segment dealt with the deleterious effects of EMF on the body and a discussion of a circuit to reduce EMF. As Jerry commented,

"I went home and built a few prototypes, put them next to my bed side and slept with them, low and behold I had the best sleep of my life and my dreams were so vivid - I just felt good. I then decided to take the devices and place them on my preamp just to see if it made a difference and I've got to say it absolutely floored me how much better my system sounded."

Some further experimenting with shapes, sizes, and the "imprinting" of the 37 parts that constitute the final product lead to his final CE Generators.

Leaving aside all claims on the favorable health impact of these products, their impact on audio is undeniable. They come in sets of three because, once you place one on one of your components - I started on my preamp as Jerry did - you will want to try more. The effect is a clear lowering of the noise floor leading to better image separation, finer presentation of inner detail - you know the drill.

And more is better. Every component benefits as does the AC line conditioner, even the main electric panel. Anywhere there is an EMF field, these will have a positive effect.

Although this cookie-size product looks so very simple, we are told that building them is time-consuming and very messy. 24 hours of set up time and an hour on the imprinter.

Anyway, hearing is believing. Enthusiastically suggested for in-home audition through The Cable Company Library."

Pretty impressive for a donut.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Although this cookie-size product looks so very simple, we are told that building them is time-consuming and very messy. 24 hours of set up time and an hour on the imprinter.

I think I commented the same (?) product elsewhere in the thread. That "time-consuming and very messy" -part takes some serious suspension of disbelief to swallow. It's a bit of glitter and some black tinted epoxy resin poured into some off-the-shelf baker's/confectionist's silicone molds. They don't even bother to put them in a pressure chamber while they cure to remove air bubbles. Looks more like "Fast, cheap and sloppy".

I can't believe people fall for this crap. I imagine those Audio Magic guys are laughing their asses off every time they make a new batch.

Last edited:

Karmacoma

Forum Donor
Was browsing a thread on Black Friday deals on another forum and came across this: CE Generator

Ten percent off these magical "clean energy generators", which look delicious. Here's the description of the product (audiophool claims have been emboldened by me)

"Audio Magic's New CE Generators

Jerry Ramsey at Audio Magic has been developing novel products from innovative technologies for many years. Whether liquid conductor cables, or products ranging from Audio Fuses to Black Out Paint for circuit boards based on EMI/RFI absorbing materials, these products have been both successful, and to some extent, head-scratchers.

True to form, Jerry's latest creations, called CE Generators ("Clean Energy Generators" - $150 ea. or $399/3) are difficult to understand, but boy do they work.

A back story is in order: Jerry took a 2 week intensive course on health with a holistic doctor. One segment dealt with the deleterious effects of EMF on the body and a discussion of a circuit to reduce EMF. As Jerry commented,

"I went home and built a few prototypes, put them next to my bed side and slept with them, low and behold I had the best sleep of my life and my dreams were so vivid - I just felt good. I then decided to take the devices and place them on my preamp just to see if it made a difference and I've got to say it absolutely floored me how much better my system sounded."

Some further experimenting with shapes, sizes, and the "imprinting" of the 37 parts that constitute the final product lead to his final CE Generators.

Leaving aside all claims on the favorable health impact of these products, their impact on audio is undeniable. They come in sets of three because, once you place one on one of your components - I started on my preamp as Jerry did - you will want to try more. The effect is a clear lowering of the noise floor leading to better image separation, finer presentation of inner detail - you know the drill.

And more is better. Every component benefits as does the AC line conditioner, even the main electric panel. Anywhere there is an EMF field, these will have a positive effect.

Anyway, hearing is believing. Enthusiastically suggested for in-home audition through The Cable Company Library."

Pretty impressive for a donut.
These guys are just one step away from launching their own religion, scientology-like stuff.
Edit: I visited the page, I can't believe this sh*t is real, I'll submit an idea: we really need to create audiosciencereview cuckoo awards for these guys!

Last edited:

JimBean

I think I commented the same (?) product elsewhere in the thread. That "time-consuming and very messy" -part takes some serious suspension of disbelief to swallow. It's a bit of glitter and some black tinted epoxy resin poured into some off-the-shelf baker's/confectionist's silicone molds. They don't even bother to put them in a pressure chamber while they cure to remove air bubbles. Looks more like "Fast, cheap and sloppy".

I can't believe people fall for this crap. I imagine those Audio Magic guys are laughing their asses off every time they make a new batch.
I tried searching the thread, but it didn't come up with any results. Yeah, they do look suprisingly cheap for the typical audiophile nonsense tweaks. I'm surprised anyone buys these things. Or believes they actually do anything.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
I tried searching the thread, but it didn't come up with any results.

Found it! It was in one of the sister-threads:

Todd k

Forum Donor

View attachment 328572

But wait, there's more!

View attachment 328573

Riiiiight...
What T F. That’s just a load of crap.

Top Bottom