• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Review

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At most we see variations of like 2-3ms. What are the decays in your actual room? Because even in a treated room, they're often 100ms+ below 200hz and 50ms from 200-500hz. So 10x or more of the decay time of the speaker itself. And if your room isn't treated, then it's much longer than that.

Actually even studios are way more than that, below 200ms for anything but bass is a dead room (for a control room of smaller size), 100ms or lower is just unpleasant and skew the mixing decisions towards adding reverb to everything. Here's a graph that shows ITU-R BS1116 compliance of a control room decay, the green lines are showing the preferred range, taken from Genelec GRADE report. For a consumer room 500ms below 100Hz is still pretty good and at 20Hz it's not uncommon to have more than a full second of RT60

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-27 o 22.46.06.png
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-05-27 o 22.46.06.png
    797.9 KB · Views: 108

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually even studios are way more than that, below 200ms for anything but bass is a dead room (for a control room of smaller size), 100ms or lower is just unpleasant and skew the mixing decisions towards adding reverb to everything. Here's a graph that shows ITU-R BS1116 compliance of a control room decay, the green lines are showing the preferred range, taken from Genelec GRADE report. For a consumer room 500ms below 100Hz is still pretty good and at 20Hz it's not uncommon to have more than a full second of RT60
Yes I was hedging quite a bit because I didn't want some idiot to go find a graph of one example with slightly less and "but actually" me ;) The main point was that room decay times are orders of magnitude longer than the speaker ones, so minor variations in speaker decay don't matter and people shouldn't fixate on them. Especially if they're not doing heavy room treatment in the first place.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apologies, I didn’t realise how far reading comprehension standards have fallen. In my day we didn’t need lol or emoji - we understood context
Trouble is that ASR does get people who plonk in here and say that sort of stuff sincerely.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I was hedging quite a bit because I didn't want some idiot to go find a graph of one example with slightly less and "but actually" me ;) The main point was that room decay times are orders of magnitude longer than the speaker ones, so minor variations in speaker decay don't matter and people shouldn't fixate on them. Especially if they're not doing heavy room treatment in the first place.
Well that settles that.

Reactions: 617

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Apologies, I didn’t realise how far reading comprehension standards have fallen. In my day we didn’t need lol or emoji - we understood context

Back in your day, did you communicate with people from all over the world who may not be fluent in your native language?

No need to insult someone who simply misread your post. Seems your standards for manners could be better.

Tovarich007

You're fun but a bit self centered, I guess. Do you really think most of us spend hours in reading carefully all posts of one thread to understand immediately the whole context of the exchanges ? Not me anyhow, I don't spend my life on audio forums.

I was quite surprised by your post concerning the Genelec 8341, which are obviously very good speakers, but some weird but serious people write sometimes posts bashing good audio devices without any technical explanation, so your post made me think at first you were one of these silly guys, thus the reason I didn't understand immediately you were kidding.

Everybody may regret old times when we were not so overwhelmed by informations of all kinds, on forums or elsewhere, but times have changed, and it's better to let know discreetly if you're serious or not when you write something.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps a bit harsh but yeah I miss those days

Nothing has changed, really. If somebody does not understand blindingly obvious sarcasm then what of it? Same thing with political correctness: everybody is welcome to misunderstand or get offended by anything they like, but regular uses should not be policing forums other than using the "report" button. Or at least not with expectation that other people should follow their discussion guidelines.

Of course if the community and mods decide that this kind of frivolous nonsense should be dialed back then let it be so.

Lucmor444

Newby question - if used as LCRs in a HT set up and with subwoofers what sort of sound level could be provided at a 2.8m listening position from the speakers (or more specifically could they deliver 85dB reference level at the 2.8m with 105dB peaks)? TIA

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Truly the best place for an answer is the Genelec website. They have all sorts of images and docs for setup and spec’s.

Oukkidoukki

I heard these yesterday in well acusted room. Distance was one meter. These must be great mixing tool. Left and right was very precise and details were shown very well in familiar songs. The space around vocals made me say good realism. There was some extra compared to other studio monitors I have heard. So very nice.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Newby question - if used as LCRs in a HT set up and with subwoofers what sort of sound level could be provided at a 2.8m listening position from the speakers (or more specifically could they deliver 85dB reference level at the 2.8m with 105dB peaks)? TIA
The answer is "probably yes, but it's borderline". The limit will be in the 100-200hz range and it will depend how much boundary gain you have, if the speakers are going to be against a wall I'd say "probably fine", if they're going to be 2-3 feet away from a wall you'll likely see some(2-4dB) compression on peaks.

That said, 85dB average is not comfortable for most people in smaller rooms, which is why Dolby recommends 79-82dB, which would be fine. I have 8351Bs crossed at 100hz that are not getting much boundary gain. I see minimal compression at 105dB(<1dB, margin of error) and significant compression at 110dB(~3dB) at a similar distance.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
I have a pair of Genelec 8341A for sale.

Ze Frog

Damn these are impressive. Regarding SPL, Genelec seems to say they are still in optimal listening distance at 2 meters, so should imagine that's more than enough. Plus doesn't really bother me if I have to move them out towards me for heavier listening, it's only me and I intend to keep it that way, a lot can be said for absolute freedom.

Was looking at Neumann KH 150's, but have seen pairs of these for £1000 extra over the Neumann's, which is a lot, but also kind of makes me wonder if the extra spend could be worth it.

I'll be moving later this year, which is why I'm whittling down my current Hi-fi gear and going for a simplified system. A pair of these in white with a nice modern Scandinavian type living room design would be pretty epic looking. Guess I'll see what finances look like at that time I guess. My living room decor is usually based around my Hi-fi system in style and colour, I like things to match or compliment eachother, a trait of Asperger's, or just my good taste, lol, either/or.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Damn these are impressive. Regarding SPL, Genelec seems to say they are still in optimal listening distance at 2 meters, so should imagine that's more than enough. Plus doesn't really bother me if I have to move them out towards me for heavier listening, it's only me and I intend to keep it that way, a lot can be said for absolute freedom.

Was looking at Neumann KH 150's, but have seen pairs of these for £1000 extra over the Neumann's, which is a lot, but also kind of makes me wonder if the extra spend could be worth it.

I'll be moving later this year, which is why I'm whittling down my current Hi-fi gear and going for a simplified system. A pair of these in white with a nice modern Scandinavian type living room design would be pretty epic looking. Guess I'll see what finances look like at that time I guess. My living room decor is usually based around my Hi-fi system in style and colour, I like things to match or compliment eachother, a trait of Asperger's, or just my good taste, lol, either/or.
Did you have a chance to compare 8341 ans KH150?

Ze Frog

Did you have a chance to compare 8341 ans KH150?
No, I haven't purchased yet as getting rid of current gear before move. These will probably be beyond my budget to be fair, unless there's a deal on. Saw a pair for £3600 though, considering whatever I buy next is my final system, it's maybe worth it.

spamilton

I'm thinking of switching my 8341s to Neumanns just for something different, but I'm probably being stupid.

Top Bottom