• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research LGK 2.0 Kit Speaker Review (video)

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe they don't have to be equal at your eardrums but if I want the two channels to be balanced at mine? If the measurments says it's fine and the balanced is shifted one side when I listen I should just accept it even if it diminish my enjoyment? You see something wrong with the example I gave you? The image is greatly improved for me with a large tip on the right and medium on the left. This have been found out by listening. should I just say, well, miniDSP ears tells me it's correct so I am going to listen to this Kickdrum and lead vox shifted stage left?
IEMs has no relation to outer hear, distance, how you would hear in "real life"... It is all about you ear canal.
You can do whatever you want, it doesn't have to be right.

(with IEM's you obviously have to choose a tip that fits your ear, like you've done).

YSC

Major Contributor
Sorry, I still don't agree with that test.

And it seems I can recognise distortion fine under A/B, so I'm not "useless":
I don't think it's a test, it's more of a "hey, here you go to how distortion sounded when it's severe" thing.

What we evaluate the speaker here is still all those measurements, but no harm for just an example of what you would expect when distortion is high

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Um~ paying $1000 + and still need to select the proper music for it is….

Ok, let’s put it lightly, a pass for me
You could also have a recorder,triangel duo if this fits more your taste??? ;)

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
You disagree because you can't hear and I and a bunch of other people do? How does that make the test invalid? The test is the test. It is specific piece of music with specific speaker. You detecting distortion in another situation/test has nothing to do with this. You need to focus on the vocals and modulation therein.

EDIT: and besides, if you look back at my first posts on this topic I thought I did notice distortion at the end of your track, just I didn't think it was clearly obvious
At the end the driver is literally cracking. And you only heard it there? That is way, way behind the level you should have detected it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I’m not usually one to fan flames, but here are some of his comments in his update video (assuming it‘s him, the account has someone that looks like him doing races, both running track and cars).
It is him. So it is clear, he has this random "84 dB" number in there with no distance associated with it! Yet he keeps comparing it to my 86 dBSPL at 1 meter measurement. If 84 dB is at 2 meters, then my test is equiv. to 80 dBSPL so even lower than his one number. That he, as a speaker designer, doesn't know that distance goes with dBSPL is beyond me. How could he not know?

D

Deleted member 19122

Just left this comment on the 2.0 LGK spiel he put up.Betting it won't stay up.
"Acoustic electric devices should be designed by qualified engineers.It's the normal "thing" in every other field.If this man has zero qualifications as a engineer in a relevant discipline,why are any of you listening to his uneducated pseudo tech rambling or buying anything he has to offer?I mean all these companies speakers he trashes employ real accredited engineers and if he's so good at it as in better than the guys who work for these companies,wouldn't it stand to reason these companies would be jumping all over themselves to hire the new wunderkid on the block???"

PeteL

Major Contributor
You can do whatever you want, it doesn't have to be right.

(with IEM's you obviously have to choose a tip that fits your ear, like you've done).
My points, that you chose to avoid, where simply:
- Channel imbalance are easy and obvious to hear.
- Most of the actual imbalance are due to physical considerations, either your room and speaker placement, a ill fitted pad or tip, etc and there are limits to what measurments will tell you.
- I'll add a 3rd one, we got plenty of great info here and measurments are important when evaluating a product, but you don't need a measurment rig to enjoy music the "right" way. There is nothing "wrong" in going for the balance pot if what your hear at that moment in this environment is out of balance, people have all kind of limitations to their listening environment, let people enjoy the music the way it sounds right for them. If you hear a problem, fix it, if you don't hear a problem, it's not a problem.

TrevC

I'm wondering what this speaker would sound like if all the filter stuff was removed and the driver just connected directly to the toob connectors,. because I've never heard that type of distortion from single driver car speakers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I'm wondering what this speaker would sound like if all the filter stuff was removed and the driver just connected directly to the toob connectors,. because I've never heard that type of distortion from single driver car speakers.
I tested that. It got distorted just same.

audiofooled

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I tested that. It got distorted just same.

The distortion in the video is clearly audible, and then some. Still, I suspect it was caused by the double bass in the recording, otherwise if it were only drums it wouldn't have been so evident. Ported enclosure, bellow the tuning does not provide sufficient damping for this little driver, the thing is begging for mercy...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
People are getting hung up over the disastrous test results of a tiny, pissant 4" (edit: 3"!) driver, stuffed into an overly large ported enclosure? Seriously??

This is not HiFi. Not even close. It's hilarious actually. Hilarious that old mate Danny thinks it's fantastic and equally hilarious that members think it should do something it clearly cannot.

Take a 4" driver for what it is. It's not a woofer. It's hardly a midrange. And a full range, it is not. Not even close.

If the kit was $49.95pr it would still be a total scam. Go buy a pair of 2nd hand real speakers or some BOTL 2 ways from a proper HiFistore- you'd be better off in every respect.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

And it seems I can recognise distortion fine under A/B, so I'm not "useless":

EDIT: and besides, if you look back at my first posts on this topic I thought I did notice distortion at the end of your track, just I didn't think it was clearly obvious - mainly my posts have been me disagreeing with the validity of the test for reasons I listed in earlier posts.

I agree that Youtube is useless for tonality tests. But this methodology is perfectly valid. As Amir turns the speaker up, it gets more and more distorted. It is quite obvious. This is something any mic can record and any speakers / headphones can reproduce.

If you need a baseline, listen to the original track on your favorite streaming service and focus only on presence or absence of distortion, then listen to Amir's video and focus only on distortion.

YSC

Major Contributor
actually one thing is easy to bust his damage control... ok, Amirm is the Axx hxxx who know nothing about listening to a speaker, so... why he's now proposing to get that magical stupid cheap 5" woofer now? hey it's just so Amirm's fault

Top Bottom