• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Guitar Sound

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta watch two videos for an idea?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a good investigation into the 'sound' of a guitar. It is not what most people think. I don't have the link, but there a vid somewhere, in which a guy has two really good sounding guitars he has built. Then after playing one, he pokes his finger thru it because the body is shellacked paper over a outline of the body.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have comments that will ruin the videos if you wish to view them. So only read if you've seen them.

Well I heard something. No guitar player. Ranked by my preference for the tone, I chose the same guitars in the same order. Wondered if he had scrambled the order in the edge of breakup portion. And by golly he did. So I had different rankings for both tests, but ranked in the same order once that was revealed. My favorite was the cheap blue H. Benton. Then the white Ultra Strat. Les Paul Gibson and finally the PRS w/EMG pickups. Of course if I could play like his guitar player I'd be happy with any of them.

I had a Lewitt 640TS, and it is a pretty terrific microphone.

The comments were pretty hilarious, but nothing that will surprise regulars here on ASR.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta watch two videos for an idea?
Well surely no two electrics are as different as a Strat, and Les Paul.right? This video tests that. I bet you can guess the results more or less, but the guy is pretty entertaining so I bet if you watch the first video (less than 10 minutes) you'll watch the second one as well.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have played guitar for more than 30 years and have played dozens of them. They all sound very different when played acoustically--each having its own distinct character. You can hear various aspects of their construction resonating and creating overtones and harmonics, and each design does it differently. Plugging them into an amplifier diminishes those differences to some degree. The microphone then becomes the great equalizer. When recorded, they sound slightly different, but major character differences are mostly erased as he demonstrated.

So, when recording, choose the a guitar with the pickup type you want (SC, HB, P90, etc.) that stays in tune, is comfortable to play, and has a scale length you can bend in tune.

My current collection. The workhorses are the bottom right HSS Strat and the top left HH Single Cut.

index.php

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I like the look of the Fender better! :p

There's a lot of "mythology" among musicians, audiophiles, and audio professionals. But IMO, audiophools are the worst!!!

There have been experiments with violinists blind-testing violins and they can't reliably identify the Stradivarius and they sometimes prefer another good-modern instrument.

Personally, I'm not a musician can I can't tell a strad from a strat! :D

Top Bottom