• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Gustard X16 Owners feedback...

Reynaldo

I bought my Gustard X16 some cheap "audiophile jewelry" this week, just for fun (confident that these would make zero difference to the already excellent sound), the Gustard fuse upgrade and I²S cable:
I used the X16 with this Gustard cable connected to the SMSL SD-9.
I didn't notice any difference for a simple HDMI cable.
As for the fuse, I haven't really tested it because I know it won't change anything.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I had some additional problems. After I accidentally destroyed my first X16 during my attempt at a firmware update, Gustard sent me a new one they said had been already updated with the latest firmware.

So, last week I had problems again. When I played a DSD64 I got white noise. When I played anything else (FLAC, MQA, etc) it was fine. Switching to any DSD returned the loud white noise. I couldn't find a way to play a DSD successfully. This all happened after it had been sitting unused for a few days and when I played the first song (which happened to be DSD)

If I unplugged the X16 and waited a few seconds before powering on.....everything was perfect again. All formats played without a hitch.

I had this happen with my original X16. Then I had a long USB cable from my Mac. Now, I have a RP3A (DietPi) and a short USB cable.

Yesterday, I decommissioned the RP3 and instead put Ropieee 2022.02 on a RP4B over ethernet and changed the Roon device resync delay to 1000. So far so good, but the above DSD problem is not a frequent repeatable event. Not sure what causes it.

And, I also sent a troubleshooting request to Gustard.

They came back with this:

1. Try to upgrade the software to the latest version
2. Try changing different usb cables. Also try replacing the USB cable of the accessory.
3. Try switching between dop/native in dsd transmission mode
4. Turn off x16 when not listening to music.

So I take it I may not have had an upgraded X16 after all. I assume there is no way of telling what the current firmware is without taking it apart.

I'm going to assume my problem is firmware and update it I'm not going to ruin it this time.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

I had some additional problems. After I accidentally destroyed my first X16 during my attempt at a firmware update, Gustard sent me a new one they said had been already updated with the latest firmware.

So, last week I had problems again. When I played a DSD64 I got white noise. When I played anything else (FLAC, MQA, etc) it was fine. Switching to any DSD returned the loud white noise. I couldn't find a way to play a DSD successfully. This all happened after it had been sitting unused for a few days and when I played the first song (which happened to be DSD)

If I unplugged the X16 and waited a few seconds before powering on.....everything was perfect again. All formats played without a hitch.

I had this happen with my original X16. Then I had a long USB cable from my Mac. Now, I have a RP3A (DietPi) and a short USB cable.

Yesterday, I decommissioned the RP3 and instead put Ropieee 2022.02 on a RP4B over ethernet and changed the Roon device resync delay to 1000. So far so good, but the above DSD problem is not a frequent repeatable event. Not sure what causes it.

And, I also sent a troubleshooting request to Gustard.

They came back with this:

So I take it I may not have had an upgraded X16 after all. I assume there is no way of telling what the current firmware is without taking it apart.

I'm going to assume my problem is firmware and update it I'm not going to ruin it this time.
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. The symptoms you described do not sound like what I experienced with my X16 before I upgraded the firmware. I heard faint ticks, almost like vinyl playback, only when DSD playback levels were very low…like during the fade-out between tracks or moments of silence. I've never experienced a white noise sound like what you're describing.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
Sorry to hear that you're still having problems. The symptoms you described do not sound like what I experienced with my X16 before I upgraded the firmware. I heard faint ticks, almost like vinyl playback, only when DSD playback levels were very low…like during the fade-out between tracks or moments of silence. I've never experienced a white noise sound like what you're describing.
I will try a firmware update and a new cable. I also want to search the Roon community database - I don't think it's Roon......but it's best to check. Also, next time it happens, I'm going to try different DSD files - I have some that I bought on line, I have some that I got from Sony when I bought a HAP S1 player, and I have most that were extracted from ISO files. I do believe it is all of them, but I didn't pay attention the last time it happened.

Before I bought the Gustard, I used an Oppo DAC which was DSD compatible .... and it never had a problem. I think I may bring it back to service as a temporary test.

Seems like a temporary loss of handshaking.

Reynaldo

I will try a firmware update and a new cable. I also want to search the Roon community database - I don't think it's Roon......but it's best to check. Also, next time it happens, I'm going to try different DSD files - I have some that I bought on line, I have some that I got from Sony when I bought a HAP S1 player, and I have most that were extracted from ISO files. I do believe it is all of them, but I didn't pay attention the last time it happened.

Before I bought the Gustard, I used an Oppo DAC which was DSD compatible .... and it never had a problem. I think I may bring it back to service as a temporary test.

Seems like a temporary loss of handshaking.
To find out which version of FW is installed:

Hold the middle button (as shown in the figure) and turn on the power to restore the default settings.
The version information will appear after a few seconds.
The version should be newer than 20210617.

index.php

The one on my device is older 20201210-270, but it didn't have any problem with DSD.
It's even the type of file I listen to the most

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
To find out which version of FW is installed:

Hold the middle button (as shown in the figure) and turn on the power to restore the default settings.
The version information will appear after a few seconds.
The version should be newer than 20210617.

index.php

The one on my device is older 20201210-270, but it didn't have any problem with DSD.
I have the same firmware version as pictured..... 2021 0618-A6. I went to the Gustard.cn website and there are no firmware files to download. Not sure what is the latest.

Last edited:

dsnyder0cnn

That's good. The DSD problem with older firmware is subtle. You might not notice unless you are really listening for it during passages of silence.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I also have 20201210-270.

I wonder if the issues I observed is related to firmware or not. I posted the question in Amir's x16 thread, but no one answer so far.

My question is at

Would love to hear feedbacks from owners.

Thanks!

Reynaldo

That's good. The DSD problem with older firmware is subtle. You might not notice unless you are really listening for it during passages of silence.
The vast majority of my files are SACD and DSD image.
I could never hear anything, even turning the volume up.
Gustard herself wrote that this problem was with a few devices, not all.
An interesting fact is that this only appeared after more than 100 pages referring to X16.
My question is, could Gustard not have modified something after the launch of the device and then this problem appeared?

Reynaldo

I also have 20201210-270.

I wonder if the issues I observed is related to firmware or not. I posted the question in Amir's x16 thread, but no one answer so far.

My question is at

Would love to hear feedbacks from owners.

Thanks!
My opinion
It's been a long time since I gave up using audio programs with Windows, especially if you use DSD.
I think the iOS system is much better.
Today in place of the computer I am using the SMSL SD-9.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
My opinion
It's been a long time since I gave up using audio programs with Windows, especially if you use DSD.
I think the iOS system is much better.
Today in place of the computer I am using the SMSL SD-9.
The thing is that, of the 3 DAC I checked, only x16 exhibits different behaviors when being sent 16bit vs 24 bit format....So, I doubt this is Windows specific issue...

Reynaldo

The thing is that, of the 3 DAC I checked, only x16 exhibits different behaviors when being sent 16bit vs 24 bit format....So, I doubt this is Windows specific issue...
It's just that I already had so much problem at the time that Audirvana for Windows came out that I gave up.
On iOS Audirvana works without any problem.
But if it's just on X16 you'd need to do more research.
Good luck

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
I searched Roon communities for white noise, DSD, DAC and there were a few postings but all before 2018. Perhaps the Roon delay option on the DAC device setup was instituted for this???

I had it at the default (zero) and since have changed it to 1000. No issues with noise since.

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 4.37.08 AM.png

Reynaldo

Sorry for the off topic
I have three DACs here, an Oppo205, Gustard X16 and I bought a used but very well maintained Musical Fidelity M1.
The M1 is the oldest of all, it only plays PCM, but I don't know how to explain it to myself, it has a better musical quality.
Many of my files are DSD and even the SMSL SD-9 converting to PCM 88.2 Khz looks better.
I'm using the DAC's AES/EBU input.
It must be a placebo effect on my part. I would like to be using the X16 because it is more modern, but something in the M1 that plays better for me.
I don't know the explanation.

dsnyder0cnn

Sorry for the off topic
I have three DACs here, an Oppo205, Gustard X16 and I bought a used but very well maintained Musical Fidelity M1.
The M1 is the oldest of all, it only plays PCM, but I don't know how to explain it to myself, it has a better musical quality.
Many of my files are DSD and even the SMSL SD-9 converting to PCM 88.2 Khz looks better.
I'm using the DAC's AES/EBU input.
It must be a placebo effect on my part. I would like to be using the X16 because it is more modern, but something in the M1 that plays better for me.
I don't know the explanation.
Personal preference is a tricky thing, but before you finalize your conclusions, please describe the process you followed to match levels.

Reynaldo

Personal preference is a tricky thing, but before you finalize your conclusions, please describe the process you followed to match levels.
Here I use the same player, integrated and speakers.
Before I used the X16 with a Mac mini and Audirvana, it is very good.
Then I changed the Mac mini to the SMSL SD-9, it's not bad, but after listening for an hour it gets tiring.
Already with the SD-9 and the M1 I can listen for hours without a problem.
I was told that this difference could be due to the M1's DAC chip, the Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC chip, I don't know if there is any truth.

dsnyder0cnn

I was told that this difference could be due to the M1's DAC chip, the Burr-Brown DSD1796 DAC chip, I don't know if there is any truth.
Perhaps, but if you have not taken care to match playback levels to within 0.1 dB, all bets are off on a meaningful comparison.

Top Bottom