• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HifiBerry DAC2 HD Review (Rpi HAT)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the HifiBerry DAC 2 HD. It was kindly sent to me by a member already assembled on a Raspberry Pi board. The DAC2 HD costs US $99 from company website.

Here is a shot of the full assembly:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Review Rpi HAT DAC.jpg

Let's zoom into it:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Review TI PCM1796 Rpi HAT DAC.jpg

As you see it is based on TI/BurBrown PCM1796 which seems to be a common DAC chip for these "HATS" (option boards for Rpi).

For testing, I streamed test files using my Roon player over Ethernet to it (hence streaming scenario). Test files have to be static in this situation so I can't show you any sweeps (e.g. IMD versus Level).

HifiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz, streamed to the board at fixed/max volume:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements Rpi HAT DAC.png

Performance is not great. It is what we would expect a few years ago:

Best Rpi DAC HAT Review 2021.png

Specifications from the company indicate far better performance but with a fine print that they are performed at -10 dB so I tested using that condition:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements -10 dB Rpi HAT DAC.png

This is much better but we are still shy of 108 dB they specify. I looked up the spec from TI for the DAC chip and they state this:

TI PCM1796 Specification.png

That is better than what I see at -10 dB yet TI spec is at full amplitude. So looks like the implementation is not nearly as good as what the chip company advertises.

Moving on, they say they have a low jitter clock and while I see no indication of jitter, there are other unwanted tones:
HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements Jitter Rpi HAT DAC.png

Dynamic range is OK:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements Dynamic Range Rpi HAT DAC.png

Multitone test runs at less than full volume so shows off the better performance:

HiFiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements Multitone Rpi HAT DAC.png

Conclusions
It is hard to get excited over this level of performance. For the same $99 you can get an external USB DAC which runs circles around DAC2 HD. Yes, it is convenient to have a small DAC that fits on top of the RPi but come on, let's not give up much performance to do that.

I can't recommend the HifiBerry DAC2 HD. I think it would be OK at $49 but not at $99.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The multi-tone test is very interesting. Although it’s at full volume, the distortion products are around -115 dB similar to the distortion levels of -10 dB.

zyghom

so I have built this DAC over raspberry pi 4 for my "B" system (Amazon active speakers for 150$) and it does the job of making them fully wireless. Do I hear the difference comparing to my "A" system? I do. But the "B" system is in total 300$ while the "A" one is ... 3000$.
I think DAC2 HD serves the purpose - yeap, it might have been 50$ instead of 100 but at the end... ;-)
Thank you for the review Amir

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What does the DSP plug-in board do for this?

It add’s a DSP ;) And a raw SPDIF input. If you use HifiBerry OS you get quite a nice interface to configure it, but you can also use Sigmastudio if you like. You can also install the web interface on other distro’s. It was made by/with B&O people.

In that case I’d recommend the DAC + DSP, gives four channel output (digital + analog) and digital in.

Last edited:

TNT

Multitest *tones* are not at full volume or we would be seriously clipping. That's why it has better performance.

And for this reason I think you should add a 3 tone test (50, 1k, 4k?) to stress the DUT a bit more at higher levels. Some say that the three tones test is one of the most demanding test signals there is actually...

pugs

Thanks for the review, just bought one of these and have it connected to TAG Mclaren DPA32R and 125M monos. Sounds good to me.

I have question though, this appears to be different results to archimago and he mentions a possible roon bug with this dac and drop in performance. Here. Otherwise, appears to be at least equal with a Topping D10.

Can you not measure this dac with, for instance, picoreplayer and lms installed on an SD, streaming from a NAS or similar and take out roon from the equation?

Keep up the great work.

Last edited:

MrHifiTunes

How you create -10 db signal? Is it the same as lowering the output signal of the DAC by the software? (Volumio/Moode/...)

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
I have one of the cheaper HiFiberry DAC boards sitting on a Pi 3b in 4 rooms in my house, feeding into various systems. Main reason is convenience, as it provides me with a cost-effective solution to stream from Spotify and my Macs. Non-pi streaming solutions are significantly more expensive.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the HifiBerry DAC 2 HD. It was kindly sent to me by a member already assembled on a Raspberry Pi board. The DAC2 HD costs US $99 from company website.

Here is a shot of the full assembly:

View attachment 116522

Let's zoom into it:

View attachment 116523

As you see it is based on TI/BurBrown PCM1796 which seems to be a common DAC chip for these "HATS" (option boards for Rpi).

For testing, I streamed test files using my Roon player over Ethernet to it (hence streaming scenario). Test files have to be static in this situation so I can't show you any sweeps (e.g. IMD versus Level).

HifiBerry DAC2 HD Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard of 1 kHz, streamed to the board at fixed/max volume:

View attachment 116524

Performance is not great. It is what we would expect a few years ago:

View attachment 116525

Specifications from the company indicate far better performance but with a fine print that they are performed at -10 dB so I tested using that condition:

View attachment 116526

This is much better but we are still shy of 108 dB they specify. I looked up the spec from TI for the DAC chip and they state this:

View attachment 116527

That is better than what I see at -10 dB yet TI spec is at full amplitude. So looks like the implementation is not nearly as good as what the chip company advertises.

Moving on, they say they have a low jitter clock and while I see no indication of jitter, there are other unwanted tones:
View attachment 116528

Dynamic range is OK:

View attachment 116529

Multitone test runs at less than full volume so shows off the better performance:

View attachment 116530

Conclusions
It is hard to get excited over this level of performance. For the same $99 you can get an external USB DAC which runs circles around DAC2 HD. Yes, it is convenient to have a small DAC that fits on top of the RPi but come on, let's not give up much performance to do that.

I can't recommend the HifiBerry DAC2 HD. I think it would be OK at $49 but not at $99.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I was looking forward to this because it promised so much after the DAC+ Pro, which I have and did very well here for the money. What went wrong? Was it in the design or the manufacture?

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I have one of the cheaper HiFiberry DAC boards sitting on a Pi 3b in 4 rooms in my house, feeding into various systems. Main reason is convenience, as it provides me with a cost-effective solution to stream from Spotify and my Macs. Non-pi streaming solutions are significantly more expensive.
Yes, indeed. Which OS are you using on the RPis? I've been using Volumio.

Tks

Major Contributor
Filter performance by any chance? Just curious to see what this manufacturer uses.

Top Bottom