• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HifiBerry DAC2 HD Review (Rpi HAT)

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Realistic 84db? A hoerwege product? I am irritated of that….
Why are you irritated? Or was that sarcasm?

Max 84dB is about the SINAD they list on their website. And that for 1500 EUR plus. …

I know what my decision would be, especially after having to read through the marketing blob to find their specs.

Dolor

Because of the 84 db sinad. I heard a lot about his reputation here in germany and to hear that it measured that bad is new for me and surprising too.
No sarcasm at all. ( Only if I like people a little better and after a while) I like to talk kindly in forums. The educated Styl! ;0)
Thank you very mutch for the interesting information!

Last edited:

Dolor

Because of the 84 db sinad. I know about his know reputation here in germany and to hear that it measured that bad is new for me and surprising too.
No sarcasm at all. ( Only if I now people a little better…) I like to talk kindly in forums. The educated Styl! ;0)
Thank you for the interesting information!
And it really starts by 1500€….MK 4 is 4500€ and higher….

Dolor

Anyone who has measurements or knows something about these ones?

DDDAC ST from audio-creativshop.nl​

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Anyone who has measurements or knows something about these ones?

DDDAC ST from audio-creativshop.nl​

Why would you even consider a DAC at 2000EUR plus? Especially when the manufacturer is either unable or unwilling to provide some basic specs.
Sounds like another ripoff / snake oil product similar to hoerwege to me. Pick one of the DACs reviewed here.

And if you want German engineering pick RME - solid built, 114dB SINAD and great customer support at ca 1100EUR.

Pautzel

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum. But want to share today's experience. For quite some time, I'm using a hifiberry dac2 HD on a raspberry 3. Today I thought, let's try something and I took a raspberry 4 with ropieee xl and a topping e50, connected balanced to my avm/vincent pre and power amp. I was surprised, lack of soundstage and resolution. A linear power supply helped a bit but the topping gets nowhere near to the hifiberry.
Out of curiosity, I've just ordered an audiolab m dac. Let's see whether this is any better.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum. But want to share today's experience. For quite some time, I'm using a hifiberry dac2 HD on a raspberry 3. Today I thought, let's try something and I took a raspberry 4 with ropieee xl and a topping e50, connected balanced to my avm/vincent pre and power amp. I was surprised, lack of soundstage and resolution. A linear power supply helped a bit but the topping gets nowhere near to the hifiberry.
Out of curiosity, I've just ordered an audiolab m dac. Let's see whether this is any better.
Interesting, and I'm looking forward to reading how the Audiolab does.

benanders

Hi guys

It would be better to compare with all non-DAC2 / Topping E50 components held constant: i.e., use only RPi 3 or 4, and ropieee xl for both setups. If we compare more than one thing (e.g. DAC2 vs. Topping E50) in a chain between only two trials, then the outcome is not only subjective, but also inherently flawed.

Top Bottom