• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 215 62.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 61 17.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 9.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 11.0%

• Total voters

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Six grand? It should be perfect in every way. If the price point was two grand it would still be too high. Six grand is a money grab. This is not much better than five grand interconnects or pyramid feet for your amplifier.
This six grand would get you a top of the line Ascend Acoustic or a Revel F226Be.

I confess that I will never understand headphone culture. So I'll give sit on the side line and wait for the updated Benchmark measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What is there to update, was there an hardware revision to the AHB2?
No. I have since added new tests to amps that I did not run at the time.

Ajax

Forum Donor
Hi Amir,

Only a few days ago you reviewed the $300 Anune AR5000, which is only 5% of the cost of the Susvara, and had this to say:

"Out of the box tonality lacks some bass and treble, which is easily remedied with equalisation. Once there, combine with its very high sensitivity, you have a delightful headphone to listen to .... the overall response was to die for on reference tracks. Bass response was solid and deep. High frequencies combined with very good spatial qualities put a smile on my face. Importantly, this thing runs on candle light amount of power. This means that you can drive it hard and get excellent dynamics and fidelity.

The AR5000 is incredibly nice looking. Modern yet stylistic. What's more, even though it is made out of metal, it is extremely light. So much so that when I grabbed the box, I thought they had forgotten to include the headphone! This makes it comfortable to wear."

The price / performance ratio between these two products could not be greater and your review demonstrates just how dysfunctional the audio industry has become and the incredible disparity between the competency of manufacturers and their engineers. Can't they measure?

It reinforces the need for ASR to continue it's good work informing and educating consumers and manufacturers. I'm sending you $50 today.

Last edited:

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to try the susvara some day, even though I know the tunning I might not like.

To me this always seemed like a product for the chinese luxury item buyer, just make it expensive, add some gold, and you have a winner.

Also a lot of people are going to come crying that you didnt have the right amp for the review, and that you needed "X" 10k+$ amp that would make this headpphone very musical.

If you still have the Hifiman Edition XS on your sig and you actually like its tonality without EQ, they sound tonally more alike than different regardless of amps you use to drive it. You'll hear more reverb with the Susvara though which can be considered as more detail lol due to massive group delay issues

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They are just analogic transducers. It is like asking why passive speakers being fed power and analogic signal dont have dsp
Those hi-end headphones tend to use low-fi technology to increase resonances. Such as abyss1266, susvara. So why not using DSP instead?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please sweep the SINAD for power vs frequency, I really want to see how it compares with NCx500.
Yes, that is one of the tests I need to run.

anan南

Audio Company
Forum Donor
If nan7 used the same ear muffs as Susvara, the test results would be more similar. Unfortunately, nan7 used the 1266 ear muffs, which had poor measurement results.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, that is one of the tests I need to run.
Awesome!

I sometimes wonder if some manufacturers are designing their amps to measure great specifically at 5w/1kHz just to game the system since ASR uses that measurement to stack rank amps.

Hence, I find that particular test very insightful on the overall amp's design.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This six grand would get you a top of the line Ascend Acoustic or a Revel F226Be.

I confess that I will never understand headphone culture. So I'll give sit on the side line and wait for the updated Benchmark measurements.

Forget about the price and the disastrous FR/THD first, how do you even make a headphone that is less efficient than a bloody speaker?

anan南

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Dear amirm, if you have an old he6 ear cup on hand, similar to the one used by Beyerdynamic, using this ear cup will greatly improve the test results.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The price / performance ratio between these two products could not be greater and your review demonstrates just how dysfunctional the audio industry has become and the incredible disparity between the competency of manufacturers and their engineers. Can't they measure?

It reinforces the need for ASR to continue it's good work informing and educating consumers and manufacturers. I'm sending you $50 today.
Bravo, bravo!

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forget about the price and the disastrous FR/THD first, how do you even make a headphone that is less efficient than a bloody speaker?

From marketing standpoint, Susvara's cult status promotes spending on overpriced and overbuilt amps costing 26K and upwards. They're favorite amplifier for it is this below:

1703390357828.png

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is also another case of the subjective critics leading everyone completely astray. Basically, every one of them slobbered all over these, and, unless Amir got a defective model, they simply have too many things wrong with them to outperform even a $300 pair of HD 600's. So how did that happen? It's really the equivalent of opening up a $10k bottle of a Grand Cru Vin and not noticing the wine had turned to vinegar. Needless to say I would never trust anybody who recommended a pair of these. Very apparently, all you have to do to be a headphone reviewer is have a Go Pro and a You Tube channel. I won't name names, just go to the reviews of these and the incompetent (corrupt?) will stand out.

And they require a Benchmark AHB2 to drive them? WTF!

Top Bottom