• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai stereo/mono kits cases

OP
C

Chart

Nice job !

Happy to see how you've improved the plate !

Chart

Makiye

Hi,

I've recently done the same modification to my own amplifier. I used @Chart's .fpd-file as template and went for a more basic design:
  • 3 mm black anodized base plate
  • 7x M3-threads
  • 14x M3-holes, countersunk
The plate was manufactured by Schaeffer AG (Germany).
I have attached a picture of the amplifier before the modification, the custom mounting plate, and two photos of the finished project.

I bought the screws for mounting the new plate to the primary plate from Accu.co.uk, went for black stainless steel (M3 x 10 mm).
I think that seven steel screws in 3 mm alloy threads is secure enough, blue Loctite could maybe be an option. But if the threads strip I have 3 mm protruding threads that I can tighten with the nuts and washers similar to your case. See attached screw order.

I ordered a mains Y-cable and a harness-kit from Ghentaudio, connected J2 - J5 (18 V).
I've also ordered some thin thermal pads (0.5 mm) to enhance heat transfer between the two plates. However, I'm undecided about installing them since the Schaeffer plate already ensures a solid contact due to its precise manufacturing tolerances.

The amplifier drive two DIY-speakers, Toids Epic HiFi Speaker.
Pushed them to 110 dB @ 45 Hz the other day, don't need more power anytime soon, that's for sure. I've also stress tested the amplifier in a party setting, averaging 105 dB on the "dance floor" for 4 hours, the amplifer got hot, but no harm done, although clipping was not very far away with some songs.
Those speakers can become quite boomy in my living room, therefore I have applied minimum phase filters (0 - 225 Hz) using @OCA's tutorial, easy to understand and very effective at correcting bass response, highly recommend.

Cheers!
Hi,

Considering a DIY Nilai (dual mono) here.
You are writing about Chart's FPD file using it as a template. Could you share it with me (us) ? I would greatly appreciate.
What puts me off with these DIY cases is the stupid DIY engraving on it. I rather have nothing engraved on it instead.

Second question: how would you know where to have all the holes in a virgin case from a manufacturer and the measurements of all the holes, for the modules, the PSU in the bottom plate, and for the connectors etc etc. in the backplate, in order to build a proper Nilai device ? Is there something that you can share about that too ?

Cheers and thanks for your help !

OP
C

Chart

Hi !

Attached is my FPD file. If I needed to do another one today, I'll probably modify some little details but no big changes. Feel free to use it as it is, or modify it for your own needs.

Check Smoey22's FPD too, it is same principle but improved.

All dimensions and drill patterns for amp module and PSU are in pdf specifications availables on Hypex Nilai webpage (go to download section of AMP and PSU pages).

Attachments

• Nilai double PSU mod.zip
    609 bytes · Views: 15
Top Bottom