• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Pritaudio

Hello!

As I mentioned in the text, comparing the performance of subwoofers (especially active ones) under the same conditions is a very complex and difficult task.

But nevertheless, if you ask me for my personal opinion, I will be cautious.

The big winner of this event is probably Arendal Sound.
They really showed off their design prowess with a great performance for the price.

Bowers & Wilkins did an amazing job of getting their money's worth.
That's a significant advantage over some of the premium manufacturers who are just putting on a show.

Neumann really surprised me with its performance for its size.
Despite its 10-inch size, it performs well enough and has the ability to stop with a snap.

I was hoping for an upset with SVS's 3000 Micro, but no such miracle occurred.
If you're willing to give up some space for a subwoofer, it might make sense to buy the 2000 or 3000 series rather than the SB-1000.
(The performance difference seems more reasonable than the price difference).
Suprised the bowers don’t have lower distortion and less overhang as they use hypex nc502mp modules.
it must be the driver.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does svs pro model lineup include high pass filter via its smartphone app.
the existing rca outputs on the back seem to say line level, but can it be changed through a setting of some sort.
I have SVS SB1000 Pro and there's a low pass filter at 200Hz that you can turn on and off in the smartphone app, but I couldn't find anything re High Pass for the RCA outs. The smartphone app is really useful as you can save presets, so I have different presets for two different listening positions. You can change all of the following through smartphone app: Volume / Low Pass Filter / Phase / Polarity / Parametric EQ (3 band) / "Room Compensation" - I think that's all from memory if I recall correctly. Owners manual at following link for you for full information:

jtatknox

Sub experts: which of these subs would be most useful for active room treatment based on the measured parameters?

Willem

Major Contributor
I am not sure what you mean by active room treatment: dsp room equalization? In that case I would prefer to have the dsp in a separate unit, and not in the sub.

jtatknox

I think he means the Dirac Active Room Treatment product that's due to be released. It's a next iteration on DSP room correction.
Yes, thanks for clarifying.

Fredd3

I own a B&W DB4S subwoofer and it is nice to see it tested here. But it would be really cool to see the bigger brothers tested since they use dual drivers, that are meant to be force cancelling. Has anyone seen any tests on them?

CapMan

Major Contributor
I have pair of SVS Micro 3000s in my smallish room. They seem fine as I don’t listen at high levels, but now I’ve seen this thread the itch to try 2 SVS 2000 is getting stronger . I love the SVS app and their customer care, so would stick with this brand if I upsized …

Would I notice a difference ….

Willem

Major Contributor
Adding one SB2000 to the existing two small subs probably gives the best results. On the other hand, in a small room it may be overkill.

radix

Major Contributor
I have pair of SVS Micro 3000s in my smallish room. They seem fine as I don’t listen at high levels, but now I’ve seen this thread the itch to try 2 SVS 2000 is getting stronger . I love the SVS app and their customer care, so would stick with this brand if I upsized …

Would I notice a difference ….
I have the SB-2000 and the Micro 3000. The SB-2000 is a different league than the micro 3000. I use 2x SB-2000 now. But in other rooms I have used the micro 3000 as a 2nd sub and it does a very good job filling in the room nulls where needed. As @Willem said, adding the SB-2000 as the main sub and using the micro 3000 to balance it out should give very good results.

Top Bottom