• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If Windows update KB5034765 disables your sound devices - Fix

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got to installing Windows update KB5034765 and it knocked out all sound devices. They worked, but no sound was coming from them. I managed two PC repair shops so it was a quick fix, but not one mentioned in the Youtube videos or MS support messages. If you have a DAC, just remove it from device manager without uninstalling the driver. Then unplug it for a few seconds and plug back in to let Windows find it and it'll be working. For onboard sound you'll have to reboot after removing it. This trick has worked in the past on other updates when it happened.

Edit: Also forgot to mention the really simple way to get rid of an update that's causing a problem. Search and go to "disk cleanup" - more options and pick remove programs you don't use. On the left side clock "view installed updates" and you'll see them when it pops up. As always, create a restore point from time to time, nice parachute to have in case an application causes problems.

Last edited:

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Also, the latest updates appear to introduce a greening of Windows, enabling (or re-enabling), USB power control which shuts down some DACs and ADCs. I'm sure it's a sensible policy because globally it will probably have a huge benefit, but for some devices it's problematic.

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Haven't run into this issue yet, but will keep an eye out! I mostly run Linux and Mac these days, but keep Windows for some things..

Top Bottom