• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just wanted to post about a cool feature of Roon support (and presumably other supported streamers): If you press the MODE button while streaming to your AVR, it switches to a mini player that overlays any other video input. In my case, I'm streaming Roon and running the Dreamy screensaver on my NVIDIA Shield -- very cool!

tmukh

Not much room.
Where did you get that media table from? So hard to get a table that can fit a beast like this and then a zillion cables running out of it.

I just ordered a coffee table from urbandi but wondering if I can do better.

tmukh

I have this receiver on backorder. Wondering if anyone can chime in if DLBC is worth the extra $$ or would MiniDsp 2x4 HD give equally good results? (I already have the MiniDSP)

ban25

I have this receiver on backorder. Wondering if anyone can chime in if DLBC is worth the extra $$ or would MiniDsp 2x4 HD give equally good results? (I already have the MiniDSP)
The MiniDSP could time align the subs, but regular Dirac Live can do that as well. MiniDSP + MSO will only let you integrate with a stereo pair (e.g. FR/FL), whereas DLBC will produce the best integration for all speaker groups. I have a post on the process I use with DLBC on AVS:

Bmoose

The MiniDSP could time align the subs, but regular Dirac Live can do that as well.

I'm setting up an Onkyo RZ70 AVR for a 7.2.4 system, with subs in opposite front/rear corners.
A question about Dirac- if using the standard full licence (not DLBC), should I time align my subs first (eg. using REW alignment tool) and set the distance/ delay in the AVR settings? Then once that's done run Dirac which will treat the two subs as one for it's calibration? Or just go straight to Dirac and let it do everything? Thanks.

ban25

I'm setting up an Onkyo RZ70 AVR for a 7.2.4 system, with subs in opposite front/rear corners.
A question about Dirac- if using the standard full licence (not DLBC), should I time align my subs first (eg. using REW alignment tool) and set the distance/ delay in the AVR settings? Then once that's done run Dirac which will treat the two subs as one for it's calibration? Or just go straight to Dirac and let it do everything? Thanks.
Just go straight to Dirac, the normal bass management option will set the delays and crossover IIRC.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just go straight to Dirac, the normal bass management option will set the delays and crossover IIRC.
Are you sure, do you own one of those? I know for D+M, according to P. Jones in a recent video said after the next FW update (not sure if that happened yet), it could do bass management such as setting crossovers without the DLBC licenses.

Bmoose

I was under the impression that non-dlbc Dirac treated multiple subs as one (not individual channels)? That's why I was trying to clarify, but I guess it'll involve some trial and error either way. And perhaps have to shell out ultimately for dlbc.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was under the impression that non-dlbc Dirac treated multiple subs as one (not individual channels)? That's why I was trying to clarify, but I guess it'll involve some trial and error either way. And perhaps have to shell out ultimately for dlbc.
I think @dlaloum can tell you exactly how non dlbc works on Onkyo/Integra/Pioneer's. I use the PC standalone version and I can tell you even for 1 sub, you need dlbc if you want bass management including setting crossover, with the exception I mentioned earlier for D+M models with the latest FW update.

Could you get an answer from Integra too?

ban25

It's easy to tell by running the calibration. If it measures each subwoofer independently, you have your answer. I only have 1 sub in my system, so unfortunately I cannot test it.

ban25

So I exported one of my existing projects to an unused slot with Bass Control disabled (only Bass Management selected), and I can confirm that in this scenario you do have to set the crossovers in the AVR. With DLBC enabled, crossovers are disabled in AVR entirely. I also confirmed that, in all cases, channel delays are transferred to the AVR.

DL /w Bass Management (Not Bass Control):

DL_BM.png

AVR Crossover without DLBC:

XO_NODLBC.png

AVR Crossover with DLBC:

XO_DLBC.png

Channel Delays (No change with or without DLBC):

Delays.png

Bmoose

So I exported one of my existing projects to an unused slot with Bass Control disabled (only Bass Management selected)
Thanks very much for doing this.

The question will be if there is more than one sub if it'll time align them and set delay individually. Or if that's for dlbc only. I'll report back in a few weeks once I have it setup.

Last edited:

ban25

Thanks very much for doing this.

The question will be if there is more than one sub if it'll time align them and set delay individually. Or if that's for dlbc only. I'll report back in a few weeks once I have it setup.
So the way you would see is when Dirac takes its measurement, it will measure each speaker individually. If it measures both subwoofers one after another, and then sets independent delays (as seen in the screenshot above, though for me the 2nd subwoofer delay is blank because I only have one), then you know it's setting them independently.

The cool thing about DLBC is you can set the crossovers in the Dirac Live software itself and you can experiment with different settings, uploaded into different slots for easy A/B comparisons from your main listening position. Really helps you dial-in the settings you like.

Bmoose

So the way you would see is when Dirac takes its measurement, it will measure each speaker individually. If it measures both subwoofers one after another, and then sets independent delays (as seen in the screenshot above, though for me the 2nd subwoofer delay is blank because I only have one), then you know it's setting them independently.

Pretty likely I'll end up shelling out for dlbc, maybe when it goes on sale. But I'll see how the normal licence goes initially.

tmukh

anyone on the inside has knowledge when the DRX 8.4 may become available for sale again?

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Looks like it … for a long time.
OK that implies they need to schedule another production run at the Sharp factory in Malaysia....

How are stocks of RZ70's and LX805's? - if those are getting low as well, then we may see a batch of all three being cranked out (they may be waiting for that, as most of the parts are in common...)

One can also hope that as part of their next production run they might finally build/release the RZ90 and its siblings....

Top Bottom