• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A50 Pro 3-channel amp

ppataki

Major Contributor
Not sure if this amp has been discussed here before, if yes please delete this thread

I have just come across with this new amp from SMSL, the SMSL A50 Pro
It is a 3-channel amp with a full adjustable crossover (both LPF and HPF) using the MA12070P chipset. Also DAC and BT integrated, there is even an ARC HDMI connection available.
2x70W at 4 ohm + 1x100W at 2 ohm

All this for 90 dollars....

Would be great to see some measurements about it :)

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting implementation. Not sure about that amp chip, definitely would benefit from a proper scrutiny.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
well fair play to smsl... they have a product page up plus manual

firstly i think the need for a 2.1 powered 3 channel amp is kind of... anachronistic... 10yrs ago given passive amps arent really too popular?

2ndly manual says 70w x 2 at 4 ohm so you can guess perhaps 35-40w? But only subwoofer 100w at 2 ohms which tells a lot about how much actual power is getting to the sub

3rdly it is a AV focussed unit with usb hdmi e-arc and optical and 3.5mm in

4thly the manual does not explain how the sub cutoff works

but you look at the website and it seems like is pretty decent:

"The amplifier includes adjustable high-pass and low-pass crossover points, ranging from approximately 50Hz to 600Hz, with 10 selectable crossover points each. This allows precise control over the frequency distribution, and the volume of the passive subwoofer can be adjusted independently."

so hi-level goes from 0-10... i assume 0 is off and i would assume there's 10 points you can cut between 50-600 so roughly every 50-60hz?

so its 50-100-150-200- etc etc.

and same with the low cut for the sub?

does that sound right?

to compare to my crappy arylic bp50 this one has a cut from 50-300 in 1hz increments (!!!) which is ridiculous but i think 10 cut-off points if its regular from 50 to 600 is also not optimal but its better than nothing.

also the BP50 does a single cut... ie. if you cut it at 80hz it sends < 80hz to the sub and the > 80hz to the mains

this has independent L/R and sub cut i beleive

its strange they are still this complex and not 100% well thought out but for under $100... well... close enough

Toku

Major Contributor
SMSL A50 Pro is a fully digital amplifier using two Infineon MA12070P chips. This amplifier chip directly inputs and processes digital signals.
One of the two MA12070P chips functions as a stereo 2ch BTL amplifier. The other is a SUB output amplifier with PBTL connection.

The input PCM digital signal is input to the MA12070P, and through digital calculation, it becomes a PWM signal similar to a class D amplifier and drives the speaker. There are no elements that handle analog signals. So no DAC is required. However, so that analog input signals can also be handled, analog signals are converted to digital signals by an ADC converter and then input.
MA12070P is a digital input version amplifier IC of MA12070 used in SMSL AO200 and A12. It has a program function and various functions can be incorporated into the amplifier chip using software.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I find it odd that a "new" product that is released in 2024 -especially one from SMSL - is compatible with ARC (HDMI1.4; circa 2009) but not with eARC HDMI2.1; circa 2017).
Plan for "planned obsolescence" with your next TV purchase...:facepalm:

ChenHui

I find it odd that a "new" product that is released in 2024 -especially one from SMSL - is compatible with ARC (HDMI1.4; circa 2009) but not with eARC HDMI2.1; circa 2017).
Plan for "planned obsolescence" with your next TV purchase...:facepalm:
EARC was developed as a new format for promoting Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, which are multi-channel audio technologies. The bandwidth required for stereo sound can be fulfilled by ARC alone. However, this amplifier cannot power on/off with the TV, only volume can be linked. The HDMI CEC functionality is incomplete, and it can be optimized.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What's really the point of the powered subwoofer out?
I don't know of any affordable passive non-DIY sub that's also fine with just 100W of power.
Two RCA sub outs with independent delay settings would be better

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I never see passive subwoofers. It would much more universal to have a coaxial sub out and deliver more power to the speakers.

Top Bottom