• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated stereo amplifier with bass-management?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I sympathize with the OP. I wouldn't want an AVR for this either. They bring too many other problems to the table.

For similar reasons I recently replaced my TV with a 43" "monitor" which was quite a bit more expensive than an equivalent display sold as a "TV" because I didn't want any "smart" BS in it.

Economies of scale are weird.

how do you decode stuff like Atmos and DTS?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not in a loss until someone mentioned the 2.1 being a good solution for small speakers and I started to search for suitable integrated amplifiers. I am now getting pretty lost since the list is made of just one unit.

Martin-Logan Forte amp and its near twin Paradigm PW Amp are indeed perfect, however they are not available to me, here in the UK. It also looks like they are treated as end-of-line.

I seriously think you should get something that would allow you to put a highpass filter for the speakers, otherwise they will still produce bass and the distortion would be very audible.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For similar reasons I recently replaced my TV with a 43" "monitor" which was quite a bit more expensive than an equivalent display sold as a "TV" because I didn't want any "smart" BS in it.

I hear you. My solution is to use a TV but not set-up Wi-Fi on the unit. I plug an Ethernet cable when there is a new firmware is available. Once download is done I unplug the cable. So far it worked.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how do you decode stuff like Atmos and DTS?

I barely even watch movies any more, but there are PC software decoders for everything short of the new height channel formats.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I seriously think you should get something that would allow you to put a highpass filter for the speakers, otherwise they will still produce bass and the distortion would be very audible.
But there is a high-pass filter -- in the crossover! The cross-over splits the highs to the speakers and the lows to the subwoofer. It is called a "cross" over for that reason. This is why the specs require an adjustable crossover frequency so that the amplifier can match the speakers.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But there is a high-pass filter -- in the crossover! The cross-over splits the highs to the speakers and the lows to the subwoofer. It is called a "cross" over for that reason. This is why the specs require an adjustable crossover frequency so that the amplifier can match the speakers.

the speakers crossover and subwoofers crossover are two different things.

the circuit inside the speaker itself will not have a high-pass filter.

many amplifiers will have a subwoofer out with a lowpass filter, but it is really rare to find an amplifier with an adjustable highpass filter, if you did then that's great.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's available here for £549. But maybe it'll be dismissed because it can get audio from a HDMI connection.
It does have coax and optical digital. No USB, but Ethernet/WiFi should be nice enough substitute.

HK Citation.PNG

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's available here for £549. But maybe it'll be dismissed because it can get audio from a HDMI connection.
There are no "video" circuitry in the amp. HDMI is simply a digital connection that can carry Audio, Network, Device Control (CEC) and Video. In fact it is the only multichannel digital audio connection standard.

Last edited:
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the speakers crossover and subwoofers crossover are two different things.

the circuit inside the speaker itself will not have a high-pass filter.

many amplifiers will have a subwoofer out with a lowpass filter, but it is really rare to find an amplifier with an adjustable highpass filter, if you did then that's great.
I am talking about a crossover in the amplifier, not in the subwoofer. What do you mean by "the circuit inside the speaker itself". Please elaborate.

Honken

It does have coax and optical digital. No USB, but Ethernet/WiFi should be nice enough substitute.
Yeah, it does look like a nice piece of kit, especially considering the price. I have no idea if the rest of the citation line is any good - would be interesting to find out.
There are no "video" circuitry in the amp. HDMI is simply a digital connection that can carry Audio, Network and Video. In fact it is the only multichannel digital audio connection standard.
I was being facetious with that remark, sorry.

I am equally puzzled as you are with regards to the dearth of all in one solutions meant for 2.1/2.2 systems, but to me, using several boxes to achieve the end goal is perfectly fine. I don't think I'm alone in this.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
the actual crossover of the speaker, between the woofer and tweeter.
I am sorry, I don't want to be seen rude again but what has the around 2kHz crossover inside a speaker has got to do with the subwoofer crossover at around 100Hz?

The subwoofer crossover in the amp will split split the signal to two. Anything above the crossover frequency (above say 100Hz) will be amplified and sent to the speaker terminals. Anything below are sent unamplified to the subwoofer socket. That signal will than be amplified by the subwoofer. This is how a 2.1 system works. Please correct me wrong.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry, I don't want to be seen rude again but what has the around 2kHz crossover inside a speaker has got to do with the subwoofer crossover at around 100Hz?

The subwoofer crossover in the amp will split split the signal to two. Anything above the crossover frequency (above say 100Hz) will be amplified and sent to the speaker terminals. Anything below are sent unamplified to the subwoofer socket. That signal will than be amplified by the subwoofer. This is how a 2.1 system works. Please correct me wrong.

yes, but in the 99% of cases there is no crossover (the one you mention above 100 Hz) in any integrated amplifier. this is what is making your search fucked up.

While this is a vital feature, it is not very widespread.

I was under the impression you weren't aware of this, sorry.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
YI have no idea if the rest of the citation line is any good - would be interesting to find out.

The Citation line are now made of smart speakers and sound bars. There are no separates in the line any more.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
...but in the 99% of cases there is no crossover (the one you mention above 100 Hz) in any integrated amplifier. this is what is making your search fucked up.

While this is a vital feature, it is not very widespread.

I was under the impression you weren't aware of this, sorry.
I have seen some amplifiers with switchable HP filter but I can't imagine there are some with no HP filter. Really? Do you really mean that almost all amplifiers that has a sub output lack a cross-over? What is the point of even using a lowpass (LP) filter on the sub output. Every sub on the market has a LP filter!

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have seen some amplifiers with switchable HP filter but I can't imagine there are some with no HP filter. Really? Do you really mean that almost all amplifiers that has a sub output lack a cross-over? What is the point of even using a lowpass (LP) filter on the sub output. Every sub on the market has a LP filter!

Yes. the vast majority of Hi-Fi amplifiers have no way of applying a high-pass filter. not even a fixed one at 80Hz.

do you have speakers and subwoofers already btw?

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
Yes. the vast majority of Hi-Fi amplifiers have no way of applying a high-pass filter. not even a fixed one at 80Hz.

do you have speakers and subwoofers already btw?
Whaaaaat? :eek: Can you cite a couple of them?
That would be so lame...

Edit: I mean citing the ones which have a sub out without high pass for the mains.

Top Bottom