• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is cable sound real? A more holistic approach trying to track it down.

Are you interested in these kind of tests and would actually participate?

• Yes

Votes: 34 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 50.0%

• Total voters

KSTR

Major Contributor
Hi everyone,

We all know the myriads of testimonials about cable sound obtained from sighted listening and completely uncontrolled conditions (level matching etc), which makes them basically moot. Then again, the sheer number of reports would statistically allow for at least a handful of setups where some form of cable sound actually did happen and could have been proven with the right means at hand.

Generally, I'd like to divide potential cable sound -- talking line level interconnects here as for now -- in two categories:

Category A, trivial cable sound: this is what comes from using a cable simply not up to the task, and/or from side effects not actually contributed by the cable itself, apart from its basic properties. Some examples would be:
  • using a very long high capacitance cable on a very high impedance output (passive preamps and such).
  • using long unbalanced cables, or ones with high shield resistance, or even unshielded „return wire“ types in setups with „ground loop“ problems. Same with cables that have open shield connection on one end.
  • using badly shielded, or even unshielded cables in general picking up external electrical and magnetic fields, and notably in setups where the cable connects to devices that suffer from EMI problems (RF demodulation)
Category B, what I would like to coin „intrinsic“ cable sound. This refers to the claims that the construction of the cable is making a difference even when the simple lumped parameters relevant for interconnects -- capacitance, inner conductor(s) and shield resistances -- are about the same (if that even matters, that is). Some examples would be:
  • silver conductors sound different than copper conductors
  • high purity copper / silver conductors sound different than off-the-mill copper / silver
  • single-strand (solid-core) conductors sound different than multi-strand
  • plated conductors sound different than non-plated
  • isolation materials matter (dielectrica)
  • geometry details matter

We would only be interested in Category B here, the „intrinsic cable sound“ claims.

Attempts have already been made trying to verify cable sound in more controlled manners, like the required level-matched blind comparison, and occassionally some positive results may actually have been found. Alas, the setups usually were not prepared for a technical investigation, on-site and in-situ, as to what causes the differences, technically. More simply worded, it is a futile attempt to measure the cables under completely different conditions than those that applied during the blind tesing (assuming it created positive results). You might say when we are after intrinsic cable sound the circumstances should not matter much and the „characteristic“ of the cable should manifest in the lab, and of course this should be true. Then again, when a BT yields positive results wrt to differences percieved this sort of guarantees -- within the limits of the statistical significance the test allows for -- that there must be actual differences in the signal and it would be very nice and insightful to peel out these difference in the actual music material that was used for the test.

Cable Blind Tests in real life, using people's actual HiFi rigs, are a complicated matter. But in this age and day of the internet, there is a way to remote the tests to a large group of participants by using loop-back recordings. While not exactly recreating the situation of a real cable change in one's system, chances are there that the captured differences can still be identified. Plus we have the great opportunity that the circumstances are extremely well defined and replicable and everything is in one hand, allowing for meaningful analysis as the setup for the recordings is exactly the same for the technical investigation and the recording for the blind testing.

So what I have in mind is the following:
  • I will make precision and well-documented loopback recordings with all the necessary care, using different cables (I have some „higher quality“ XLR and RCA interconnects here on loan for this, besides my bog-standard interconnects). The RME ADI-2 Pro, USB connected, is an obvious choice for a DAC-->cable-->ADC loop-back setup, for making the recordings, plus I actually happen to have two of those interfaces so that more „real-world“ scenarios than simple loop-back within a single device can be tested as well if that is deemed necessary for any sort of reason.
  • Phase 1, Getting Familiar: I will offer the recordings for a sighted subjective comparison first, to establish some sort of baseline if people think they can hear some differences in the first place. Open discussion and sharing of impressions and hints what details to listen for are welcomed. This of course opens the door for priming (the first published testimonials, and any "reputation" of the person stating it, will subtly influence others in their subsequent sighted findings) but this is fully intentional. I want to recreate the normal end user situation as seen in the more subjectivist forums.
  • Phase 2, Assertion: Once enough feedback has accumulated that at least some are certain to hear differences, the blind-testing phase proper will start, otherwise the specific test will be over and we have to start from new, using different test tracks, change some details of the setup and whatnot, of course it will be a limited amount of cycles. Preferred format for the blind testing is ABX log made with foobar2000 and associated ABX plugin but we might have other options, too. I'm aware that cheating is possible but lets take that aside for now. ABX'ing requires patience and training, so it would be best everyone gets familiar with it early on, right in Phase 1. Preferably, we will have several rounds of Phase 2, occassionally using hidden positive and negative controls to increase the robustness of any results.
  • Phase 3, Investigation: If some evidence can be accumulated that in the specific setup used to make the recording there are perceived differences, we have layed the grounds to actually start an in-depth technical investigation to search for the differences in the signals that are deemed responsible for the changes. Otherwise, the test is over for obvious reasons, though it still could be worthwile to check the recordings. The technical investigation is basically simple, just look for differences in the signals, but actually the details can get quite complicated, and of course baseline stuff is required to establish limits of resolution and uncertainity, all the bells and whistles needed for a proper technical analysis. I have some years of experiences in this field, as will other have, so I am really confident that once cable differences are nailed down in blind-testing, one can find the dominant root cause.
Important note: We all know this is a loaded topic, and with the majority of ASR members probably leaning to the objectivist side of things it is clear that many of us will be thinking like „c'mon, it's already been proven in many measurements -- like Amir's -- that proper cables make no technical difference for the transmitted signals whatsoever, so don't waste your/our time on this“. If this is your stance which is completely viable of course, then please do NOT post in this thread (and any associated threads that might follow). I would like to encourage a meaningful discussion on technical and procedural details under the premise that it does actually make sense to try such an investigation as outlined above. Some of you also might participate in the more subjectivist forums and could gather some comments, or even actual participation, from the membership there, maybe acting as a man-in-the-middle to relay discussion and results of those who don't want to register here.

Best, Klaus

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Will three-wire cables (differential or balanced) be compared, and/or compared to unbalanced?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What would be the 'border' where a cable would not be considered 'suited' and under which load so when does a cat. B become cat. A
That would be length and load dependent.

Cable believers will argue that an ADC loop will not record the differences (for a bunch of made-up reasons) and invalidate the test for them.
Will cables also be tested on risers and if so which ones ? There are those that firmly believe in that... as well as mains cables.

I don't think any test will convince cable believers otherwise.
It would only be interesting for doubters. I am sure those folks will be interested.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
There is a chapter on speaker cables in Philip Newell and Keith Holland's book on loudspeaker design (second edition published in 2019). It includes measurements and so forth. I found the discussion inconclusive and unhelpful.

This series of tests could help address that chapter.

Also, if there are more tests of boutique cables it would be helpful in general.

Edit: By tests, I meant measurements. I don't think the listening portion is interesting or helpful.

Last edited:

groovybassist

Forum Donor
I've personally been migrating from the "cables make a (subtle) difference" side to the "maybe cables don't make a difference if well engineered" side over the last year or so. Sounds like an interesting idea - I'd participate in the test.

D

Deleted member 24907

I would like to propose a different approach. People say that silver cables sounds more open. Or brighter. Vs copper ones. More emphasis on the s of a singer for instance. Or some instruments. Have believers pick their own music sections where they swear the difference is audible. On these specific pieces one can do measurements an blind tests. A problem which can occur is the following. Volume correction. Because there are some measurements out there which have indeed measured small differences in certain frequency ranges which are nearing or in the audible domain. If this is true, when one would do a volume matching test of a specific music section, you are in fact matching the measurable volume difference to zero.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very ambitious, and all on the up-and-up.

I think it makes sense for there to be sort of two parallel paths for answering the questions you're wanting to answer. One path is the path you are taking. The other path would be a study to empirically determine the thresholds in cable reactance, by which a cable would or wouldn't have an audible effect. Presently we do simple analyses on the reactance of a cable and show that the deviation in frequency response is so small that it couldn't possibly be audible. But something more rigorous would be nice, where the effect of cable reactance is simulated in a very precise manner, in an experiment similar to yours, to definitively establish the thresholds for audibility. This might actually be easier to do than what you're wanting to do, and it would be beneficial in a different sort of way. If it were done with appropriate care such that the results were broadly accepted and stood up to criticism, then it would be easy and straightforward to demonstrate that a given inexpensive cable does not sound inferior to a more expensive cable that likewise has reactance within the bounds established as inaudible. The only way that anyone would then be able to claim that their weight-in-platinum cables sound different from ordinary weight-in-aluminum cables is if the reactance of their weight-in-platinum cable exceeds the threshold of audibility, in which case the reason it sounds different is that it alters the sound whereas the weight-in-aluminum cable does not.

OP
KSTR

KSTR

Major Contributor
Will three-wire cables (differential or balanced) be compared, and/or compared to unbalanced?
I have some balanced, and some unbalanced, provided by a member of a german forum where the whole thing was about to set off but got cancelled (by me) for non-technical reasons.

Of course we can mix/compare balanced vs unbalanced but that introduces a new variable as at least the sending end in the RME is not the same for both. The input side is the same, though (apart from a different common-mode exciation).

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, better to start with 1m balanced only as to minimize variables.
Would be interesting to test cheapest one can find, Mogami star quad, high end audio offering, pure silver, silver over copper, etc.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be the 'border' where a cable would not be considered 'suited' and under which load so when does a cat. B become cat. A

Cable believers will argue that an ADC loop will not record the differences (for a bunch of made-up reasons) and invalidate the test for them.
Will cables also be tested on risers and if so which ones ? There are those that firmly believe in that... as well as mains cables.

It would only be interesting for doubters. I am sure those folks will be interested.

Agreed.

This kind of testing might convince someone who is new to the audio hobby and on the fence.

But cable believers are generally a lost cause. They have to somehow come to an ideological paradigm shift on their own before they are going to change their minds.

pma

Major Contributor
It will be a lot of work with not much output. I tried a test with 10 m of balanced cable in the past. A lot of sighted impressions, no positive abx.
Klaus, how about injecting some interference current through the screen, as you already did once.

OP
KSTR

KSTR

Major Contributor

The first question sure is difficult to answer as the transition will be gradual, so let's postpone that for the moment.

DAC--ADC loopback suitability will be argued upon for sure. Then again, in said german forum someone presented something close, the sound of cables attached to some MiniDSP SHD connected to an interface with an ADC, using different 5m XLR cables. The test was blinded (files not named according to the cables) and some said they heard a difference and interestingly they voted the seemingly higher quality cable (SommerCable KarboCab) sounding best, followed by a Vovox. The loser was a off-the-mill cable from Thomann. So there is some indication that recordings can actually reflect the actual use-case, confirmed by actual believers.

My intent is not trying to convince the believers that cables don't matter, rather really want to help find cable sound of the non-trivial case with at least some scientific rigor and use the chance to measure something that might explain it -- if it is there any, the blind test is the prerequisite for the investigation, and the sighted test ist prerequisite for the blind test. Now, if those pre-requisites fail this is also a set of data point that might help some to question their beliefs. When there is nothing heard, I sure could (and will) make measurements/analysis, too, and will likely find nothing there accordingly, but it will not prove the contrary.

Last edited:
OP
KSTR

KSTR

Major Contributor
It will be a lot of work with not much output. I tried a test with 10 m of balanced cable in the past. A lot of sighted impressions, no positive abx.
Klaus, how about injecting some interference current through the screen, as you already did once.
Yep, this part of of planned further proceedings in case the original attempt utterly fails. There are many scenarios, RF also would be especially interesting, though much harder to do (and that would rely on an actual RFI sensitivity in the RME input stage, comprised of OPA1602 bipolars, so there is a chance it will unless RME did a really great job there. I've looked at the input stage on the PCB, no that much filtering I could spot immediately.

Reactions: pma
OP
KSTR

KSTR

Major Contributor
Yes, better to start with 1m balanced only as to minimize variables.
Would be interesting to test cheapest one can find, Mogami star quad, high end audio offering, pure silver, silver over copper, etc.
I have 2.5m of the better quality XLR cable, and can compare to generic 2.5m XLR as well to a direct short (shortest possible connection). Same for some RCAs (I have lots of those junk give-away RCAs which really should make a difference vs a short).

Feelas

I'd like to intervene here and mention one important thing: subjectivists hold their position firmly, because they care that they hear the difference when the test is sighted and they don't care about blind testing. Objectivist - mostly on ASR - position holds, that unless gear measures differently, it makes a difference.

However, in real use cases, we'll probably not encounter unsighted listening (i.e. at home) that often, so perhaps to abstain from being either an objectivist or subjectivist, we should intend that it is recognized both that subjectivist approach (that sighted listening might cause different hearing due to biases) and that objectivist approach hold at the same time (that the same measuring gear that is heard different when sighted and not heard the same when blind).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Back at work, I remember some testing being performed with something like 60m of fiber.

That's miles, not meters.

Reels of clad glass fiber with no sheath.

1611684016212.png

And the DUT wasn't the fiber.

Top Bottom