• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile and Audio Cables

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
^^^ Evidence-based, right?
Well, right, that's what hospital administrators claim, but that "evidence" is rarely statistically rigorous.

One of the things that I find most distressing about medical research is the paucity of statistics understanding at the fundamental level by the principal investigators. The world needs hundreds of times more graduate-level trained statisticians in my opinion. It's amazing we don't kill more people as a result of poor statistical analysis of medical trials.

Justdafactsmaam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you have an explanation for the claimed noise reduction achieved in electrophysiology measurements when their power conditioning is employed?

Again: this stuff is beyond my understanding; just trying to learn something here. And pardon me for not accepting a simple statement that "It's all nonsense." That doesn't advance my understanding.
There is nothing to explain. There is zero verifiable evidence to support the claims. If anyone can show me a peer reviewed published study that supports the Shunyata claims I’d love to see it. I’d like to see any independent evidence that this is even a real issue

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is nothing to explain. There is zero verifiable evidence to support the claims. If anyone can show me a peer reviewed published study that supports the Shunyata claims I’d love to see it. I’d like to see any independent evidence that this is even a real issue
Burden of proof is also something audiophiles (and other believers) don't seem to understand.

Victor Martell

Going from memory, I think I remember those case studies... need to review, but wanted to comment. I seem to remember that the case study looked like "We found line noise, we installed our stuff, line noise went away, everything is awesome" without showing that the noise was having any effect... again, going from memory.

egellings

Major Contributor
"finds" seems like an odd, perhaps even ironic, choice of verb.
Wouldn't one infer that actual facts would require, or at least benefit from, the use of forms of the verb to be?
Yeah, yeah, Bill Clinton notwithstanding ;)
"is".

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wasn't gonna go there. ;)

Oh. Statistics.
I know I am repeating myself (my shtick is pretty limited*), but I teach a little stats to my glycobiology students thus:

1712009751529.png

I explain to them that Zappa the Cat was grey on the average -- which he was, bless his little kitty-heart. ;)

Then I talk to them about centroids and average vs. monoisotopic masses of small, large-ish, and wicked-big biolmolecules. :)

1712009882725.png

1712009952750.png

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Oh. Statistics.
I know I am repeating myself (my shtick is pretty limited*), but I teach a little stats to my glycobiology students thus:

View attachment 360719

I explain to them that Zappa the Cat was grey on the average -- which he was, bless his little kitty-heart. ;)

Then I talk to them about centroids and average vs. monoisotopic masses of small, large-ish, and wicked-big biolmolecules. :)

View attachment 360721

View attachment 360722
LC? GPC? Or...?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
LC? GPC? Or...?
Those are mass spectra. I am so not a mass spectroscopist, but it's an unavoidable subject when teaching about glycoconjugates. Of course, the funny thing about the biologically interesting (to me) oligosaccharides -- the linkage heterogeneity possible with monosaccharides is mind-boggling -- and, in many cases, the isomers are isobaric. I.e., multi-dimensional MS techniques are required "for best results".

1712020689864.png

(Many of the isobaric trisaccharides in this figure don't occur naturally... but they could. ;))

I masqueraded as an HPLC kinda guy for a good chunk of my career -- self taught, but I got lucky. :)

Reactions: SIY

Induna

If I were irredeemably cynical about the human desire for accumulating money I might suggest that the whole point of stipulating that cables, etc. improve with use is to give the Rube, er Customer, time to convince themselves that they have not been deceived, and perhaps to exhaust the return period. It is unpleasant to admit to oneself that one has been swindled. If we can avoid reaching that conclusion we often do.

Mikig

Those are mass spectra. I am so not a mass spectroscopist, but it's an unavoidable subject when teaching about glycoconjugates. Of course, the funny thing about the biologically interesting (to me) oligosaccharides -- the linkage heterogeneity possible with monosaccharides is mind-boggling -- and, in many cases, the isomers are isobaric. I.e., multi-dimensional MS techniques are required "for best results".

View attachment 360756
(Many of the isobaric trisaccharides in this figure don't occur naturally... but they could. ;))

I masqueraded as an HPLC kinda guy for a good chunk of my career -- self taught, but I got lucky. :)
what a flash! I read HPLC and mass spectrograph... think many years ago, 21, to be precise we had opened a medical analysis laboratory, and our health director demanded those two instruments... for me and my partner it was an entrepreneurial experience , in fact, once started we sold it to the medical partners. But it was one of the beautiful experiences of life….

Justdafactsmaam

Oh. Statistics.

View attachment 360719

View attachment 360721

View attachment 360722
I go with my he more risqué example. The average person has half a *****, half a vagina and one breast. Not particularly common

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
before i joined this forum i thought i was the only one who could hear no difference in cables
Good on you for being so honest with yourself and not trending the cable hype like so many others have been sucked into. :D

Oldson

Forum Donor
Good on you for being so honest with yourself and not trending the cable hype like so many others have been sucked into. :D
oh sadly, i have wasted money on them in the past , albeit the budget ranges. (never spent more than £40 on an rca for eg) BUT never heard any difference.
just had one fail on me so, after watching one of Amir's youtube videos, have decided to order an "amazon basic" cable to replace it.

i do have some fancy looking headphone cables, but all were bundled with headphones (no separate purchases )and again they sound no different to the stock offerings.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
oh sadly, i have wasted money on them in the past , albeit the budget ranges. (never spent more than £40 on an rca for eg) BUT never heard any difference.
just had one fail on me so, after watching one of Amir's youtube videos, have decided to order an "amazon basic" cable to replace it.

i do have some fancy looking headphone cables, but all were bundled with headphones (no separate purchases )and again they sound no different to the stock offerings.
It does not hurt to use snazzier cables for the integrity of the termination connection. That's why I used them but as you say even they can fail and I had one fail too.

Palladium

If cables mattered pro monitors from cheap to top-end won't be using bargain basement ones internally.

leonasj500

does pure silver cable transfers full audio signal,full music, and copper,gold,and other metals just tame some freequencies to create colored sound?

Top Bottom