• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is the newish Rasberry Pi 4 charger worthy…?

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is the new Official Rasberry Pi 4 charger a worthy alternative to iFi or even maybe dedicated linear power supply? Would the Ras Pi achieve a low noise accolade with the specs we can see in the attachment. I am thinking towards the Wiim Pro and replacing the stock power charger which while sufficient just may be trumped for noise etc with the Ras Pi charger. Another alternative without breaking the bank is the Apple 10w charger that affords a replaceable cable and offers a 5.1v 2.1a power supply or maybe the 12w @ 5.2v 2.4a version with both giving room for a slight voltage drop but i highly doubt that the Wiim would be so demanding in the first place but still replacing the usb cable is an advantage for employing more refined options.

Attachments

• IMG_1210.png
    IMG_1210.png
    435.1 KB · Views: 85

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the new Official Rasberry Pi 4 charger a worthy alternative to iFi or even maybe dedicated linear power supply? Would the Ras Pi achieve a low noise accolade with the specs we can see in the attachment. I am thinking towards the Wiim Pro and replacing the stock power charger which while sufficient just may be trumped for noise etc with the Ras Pi charger. Another alternative without breaking the bank is the Apple 10w charger that affords a replaceable cable and offers a 5.1v 2.1a power supply or maybe the 12w @ 5.2v 2.4a version with both giving room for a slight voltage drop but i highly doubt that the Wiim would be so demanding in the first place but still replacing the usb cable is an advantage for employing more refined options.
If you already have a USB power supply and USB-C cable of decent quality and sufficient capacity, you are set. I wouldn't waste my money on power supplies and USB cables which make sonic claims, and I certainly wouldn't seek out a linear power supply for the task.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

If you already have a USB power supply and USB-C cable of decent quality and sufficient capacity, you are set. I wouldn't waste my money on power supplies and USB cables which make sonic claims, and I certainly wouldn't seek out a linear power supply for the task.
Quite, however i do find the Ras Pi specs interesting and quite transparent of the manufacturer to list them including the ripple rating.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Here is a good read on usb power supplys

The Apple 10 and 12w ipad power supply option is seems pretty decent with minimal voltage drop comparatively and low noise. I would probably go for the 12w 5.2v 2.4a verision but I dont think the power demands of the Wiim Pro will be particularly strenuous so a minor voltage drop seems unlikely but the 12w would have that covered with ease and I think the 10w would be sufficient. The Rasberry Pi 4 PSU option is imo, the better for the Wiim Pro due to a more steady supply of power with no voltage drop which has been well recorded by users across the web plus a nice 18 awg, 1.5m fixed cable. So for £12.49, its a bit of a bargain for the Wiim Pro and will supercede the stock power supply even if its just over a steady flow of power. I think its worth the money.

Last edited:
OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

I hooked the WiiM Pro with the Rasberry Pi 4 official PSU today and while not a vast difference and no measured proof, it did feel good doing it……it suits the WiiM very well aesthetically. I will say that a touch more clarity ensued with improved instrument separation. I would recommend this PSU as a solid upgrade without breaking the bank. It’s better built than the stock power supply with a robust 18awg fixed cable and the connection of the usb gives a solid click when inserted into the streamer. No regrets here at all, worth the money.

tw99

I hooked the WiiM Pro with the Rasberry Pi 4 official PSU today and while not a vast difference and no measured proof, it did feel good doing it……it suits the WiiM very well aesthetically. I will say that a touch more clarity ensued with improved instrument separation. I would recommend this PSU as a solid upgrade without breaking the bank. It’s better built than the stock power supply with a robust 18awg fixed cable and the connection of the usb gives a solid click when inserted into the streamer. No regrets here at all, worth the money.
The rest of us will just have to doubt your conclusions about "more clarity with improved instrument separation".

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

The rest of us will just have to doubt your conclusions about "more clarity with improved instrument separation".
Probably but then I am not a salesman or have any financial or personal reason to promote any such product.
I even have my own reasonable doubts but the slight change in sound quality was immediately noticeable when using the Ras Pi. Another slight change was also noticeable when i swapped the stock usb cable for a better made shielded cable…but alas this is only my opinion but I am certainly pleased with the Ras Pi 4 PSU.

Top Bottom