• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 4367 Review (was M2 'review')

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A lot of closet audiophiles around here. Except Tim of course. If he won a $25000 system of the highest caliber, hooked it up in his listening room, and noticed any improvement what so ever over what he currently owns, he would force his self to subconsciously block it from being real without being shown hard data. Kind of like if a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky and invaded a church claiming they created everyone. The fact that a UFO filled with little green aliens came down from the sky definitely wouldn't be enough proof.

As silly as the rest of your arguments, Mike. I'm well aware of the fact that my system is not SOTA, not even within its limitations (Small speakers, pretty ineffective below about 60 cycles), and I'm actually looking to upgrade sometime in the next year or so. In the meantime, I guess I'll wait for you to put some meat on the bones of your theories, and watch you answer the hard questions as if a completely different question was asked. It would be good entertainment, but in an election year we're already getting enough of that sort of thing.

Tim

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
As silly as the rest of your arguments, Mike. I'm well aware of the fact that my system is not SOTA, not even within its limitations (Small speakers, pretty ineffective below about 60 cycles), and I'm actually looking to upgrade sometime in the next year or so. In the meantime, I guess I'll wait for you to put some meat on the bones of your theories, and watch you answer the hard questions as if a completely different question was asked. It would be good entertainment, but in an election year we're already getting enough of that sort of thing.

Tim
that and naked first ladies to look forward too...

Phelonious Ponk

that and naked first ladies to look forward too...

Yes. On the other subject, I have the Barry Diamet LZs. They're so quiet by todays standards that they sound wrong....until you turn them up. It kind of helps you understand why people think loud sounds good. But over the long haul, they're more pleasant to listen to.

Tim

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
No.:)
My Dr. and I look at an MRI, we see 2 different things. Seeing measurements and understanding what they mean are 2 different things.

Unless pathological, the system prior to the terminals should play no role in what one hears, which are soundwaves, transduced by the speakers. Now yes, different rooms will affect that perception, but when the speakers are designed like Harman does, above around 400-500hz or so, binaural hearing systems tend to hear through the room, again, unless pathological. There should be a great deal of consistency in sound >500hz, room to room. Unfortunately, below 500hz, this is not the case. So indeed, as you say there will be differences that are far less predictable.
However, a tightly controlled directivity speaker like this has an excellent chance of sounding good in most rooms.

cheers,

AJ

Last time I was inside a MRI machine I was listening to The Beatles.
And when later on looking @ the results with an expert specialized doctor; it confirmed what my body knew already...perfect common accord between I and the pro doctor. The machine did not lie. And neither our interpretation. I calculated the level of accuracy between 97 and 99.77%. ...One in one million.

* The specific measurements I was referring to (in my mind) were from the JBL M2 loudspeaker.

I am not a scientific expert on loudspeaker's mechanics and measurement's interpretation in connection to all other factors of consideration, including real life listening sessions. I am shooting my own ideas, theories which are always scientifically debatable, objectionable and subversively entanglement unregulated.
...In simple meaning words; never abso!ute.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My Dr. and I look at an MRI, we see 2 different things. Seeing measurements and understanding what they mean are 2 different things.
Please explain what this means in the context of the speakers mentioned.

Unless pathological, the system prior to the terminals should play no role in what one hears, which are soundwaves, transduced by the speakers. Now yes, different rooms will affect that perception, but when the speakers are designed like Harman does, above around 400-500hz or so, binaural hearing systems tend to hear through the room, again, unless pathological. There should be a great deal of consistency in sound >500hz, room to room. Unfortunately, below 500hz, this is not the case. So indeed, as you say there will be differences that are far less predictable.
M2 speakers are sold as a system including calibration and EQ (ARCOS) courtesy of outboard supplied DSP. The 8-mic measurement system/calibration will sharply reduce impact of room modes.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last time I was inside a MRI machine I was listening to The Beatles.
And when later on looking @ the results with an expert specialized doctor; it confirmed what my body knew already...perfect common accord between I and the pro doctor. The machine did not lie. And neither our interpretation. I calculated the level of accuracy between 97 and 99.77%. ...One in one million.

* The specific measurements I was referring to (in my mind) were from the JBL M2 loudspeaker.

I am not a scientific expert on loudspeaker's mechanics and measurement's interpretation in connection to all other factors of consideration, including real life listening sessions. I am shooting my own ideas, theories which are always scientifically debatable, objectionable and subversively entanglement unregulated.
...In simple meaning words; never abso!ute.

Actually that is only about one in some 434 match. Sorry to be the pedant, I guess bad habits are rubbing off on me. And done all in good fun. I get your point.

Now the big issue. If the Beatles were being played over M2's during the MRI would they have effected the result?

fas42

Major Contributor
Yes. On the other subject, I have the Barry Diamet LZs. They're so quiet by todays standards that they sound wrong....until you turn them up. It kind of helps you understand why people think loud sounds good. But over the long haul, they're more pleasant to listen to.

Tim
At the moment I'm running at fixed volume - the attenuator has been bypassed. Which makes it interesting to hear how recordings come across, vis-a-vis each other. My LZs still "work" at this nominally low volume, probably equivalent to 1W, overall average, to the speakers - by comparison, a recent Canned Heat effort has been "intelligently" squeezed into the top of the dynamic range, has lots of "wallop" and sheer SPL - subjectively much louder, but still doesn't sound processed to get this "intensity".

Phelonious Ponk

if you open your eyes and look round the back of this guy's system, most of you would dismiss this guy as a audiophile nut job without having to read the 'review'.. but its ok this time because he likes the crap looking pro studio JBL's that are suitably 'anti hifi' .

keith should be ashamed of himself:D how desperate are you to get promotion for these JBL that you post a review by a bloke that is the polar opposite of everything you believe in within the sphere of hi fi.

the bloke has no credibility by all of your own definitions so why are any of you even reading this review?

Actually, they'e very pro-hifi. Anti "high-end," perhaps. Maybe it's because I started out, many years ago, with Altec Lansing Valencias, but I don't find them all that unattractive. They're easier for me to look at than a lot of high-end speakers. Some of which look like robots from the first run of Battlestar Gallactica...

Wilson.jpg

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
91849f4f_Tech_R5.jpeg

The real slim shady, the M2s. Should be close enough to 4367 for government work. If someone has data for the 4367, better yet.

A wider dispersion controlled directivity design, the Revel Salon2

708Revfig06.jpg

708Revfig08.jpg

Notice with the Salon, the wide dispersion creates a gentle downward slope from low>high frequency in room (bottom measurement). The larger woofer/horn combo of the M2/4367 will make it more directional. In the same room it will exhibit a slightly more tilted down slope from low>high frequency. The on axis or onset/direct response of both are "flat", but the total sound at the listening position will contain more upper frequency energy for the Salon. An overlay of each FR at the LP would highlight this nicely. That would be the "missing resolution" described here by audiophiles used to wide dispersion small cone/dome affairs. Not the hilarious nonsense about magic XOs and "hearing" steel, etc.
It might take some acclimation to get use to this. From a spatial rendering perspective, the M2/4367 should have a bit tighter, more palpable "in the room" type presentation, albeit with a bit less spaciousness, due to the tighter lateral dispersion/less lateral reflected energy in the reverberate at the LP.

cheers

AJ

Last edited:

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
Please explain what this means in the context of the speakers mentioned.
The Genelecs are CD like the Harman products, the ATC and Magicos (V3 shown below) are typical uncontrolled directivity speakers and will/do measure worse:
508Magfig4.jpg

M2 speakers are sold as a system including calibration and EQ (ARCOS) courtesy of outboard supplied DSP. The 8-mic measurement system/calibration will sharply reduce impact of room modes.
So let's see how it deals with Ethans dreaded "ringing" in the 100-500Hz range, where thresholds are not so high.:)
How would the ARCOS reduce excess full bandwidth sound power <500hz into the reverberate without affecting the onset response?
They are still boxes.

cheers,

AJ

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Genelecs are CD like the Harman products, the ATC and Magicos (V3 shown below) are typical uncontrolled directivity speakers and will/do measure worse:
508Magfig4.jpg

So let's see how it deals with Ethans dreaded "ringing" in the 100-500Hz range, where thresholds are not so high.:)
How would the ARCOS reduce excess full bandwidth sound power <500hz into the reverberate without affecting the onset response?
They are still boxes.

cheers,

AJ
AJ those two posts win my 'posts of the month ' award for March, really interesting.You prefer the controlled dispersion approach ?
What exactly affects spatial rendering, horns do tend to 'fill the room ' with sound why exactly is that.
Sorryin advance for naive questions.
Keith.

AJ Soundfield

Major Contributor
.You prefer the controlled dispersion approach ?
Yes, top to bottom. Tightly controlled like the M2/4367...but with the gentle downward tilt of the "high resolution" Salon et al. Cake. Eat.
Don't create excess sound energy and then turn it into heat via absorption, it's wasteful. Plus I'd rather the room not look like an isolation ward, to "fix" things, but I'm no audiophile, so YMMV.

What exactly affects spatial rendering, horns do tend to 'fill the room ' with sound why exactly is that.
Everything.:)
Stereo is an artificial construct. On axis/onset matters, as does off axis/reflections, contributing to ASW/spaciousness etc. Interchannel L-R matching matters. There is a lot of lobing interference between the L-R creating those phantom center images, so not only directivity, but room reflectivity matters. Have a look here.
Keep in mind preferences matter. Some folks like a bit more diffuse/spacious sound, others a bit more palpable/immediate type sound. No right/wrong. I like both.:)

cheers,

AJ

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Actually, they'e very pro-hifi. Anti "high-end," perhaps. Maybe it's because I started out, many years ago, with Altec Lansing Valencias, but I don't find them all that unattractive. They're easier for me to look at than a lot of high-end speakers. Some of which look like robots from the first run of Battlestar Gallactica...

Wilson.jpg
agreed:)

Top Bottom