• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking at the Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon is worth looking at but I've just found this, which looks amazing for the price and has proper crossover control for the subs and main speakers:

In the UK it's around £150 more than the NR1200 but well worth it. If you're in the US the price may be different of course.

Manual: https://manuals.marantz.com/CINEMA70s/EU/EN/GFNFSYitmloggd.php
Both have ”proper” crossovers. The NR1200 for vented mains and the AVRs for sealed boxes (THX standard mains).

Phidel

The Denon is worth looking at but I've just found this, which looks amazing for the price and has proper crossover control for the subs and main speakers:

In the UK it's around £150 more than the NR1200 but well worth it. If you're in the US the price may be different of course.

Manual: https://manuals.marantz.com/CINEMA70s/EU/EN/GFNFSYitmloggd.php
Many thanks for yout response man!

I'm seeying the manual and the 970H also has it:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be the main speakers you have that decide what crossover is going to be used. A Revel M105 speaker would suit using the NR1200 crossover at 60 Hz, giving 24 dB/octave on HP and LP. The sealed NHT C3 would fit s AVR 24/12 dB filter at 60 Hz.

So look at your speakers first before deciding.

Phidel

It will be the main speakers you have that decide what crossover is going to be used. A Revel M105 speaker would suit using the NR1200 crossover at 60 Hz, giving 24 dB/octave on HP and LP. The sealed NHT C3 would fit s AVR 24/12 dB filter at 60 Hz.

So look at your speakers first before deciding.

I bought a pair of Elac DBR62.

TonyB

Both have ”proper” crossovers. The NR1200 for vented mains and the AVRs for sealed boxes (THX standard mains).
The NR1200 doesn't have a high pass facility to the main speakers. That's the issue under discussion.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a pair of Elac DBR62.
According to the DBR62 review by Amir there is an initial more shallow slope but then approximates 24 dB/octave. So the LP would also be 24 dB/octave with no more filter for the HP, around 55-60 Hz crossover point.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The NR1200 doesn't have a high pass facility to the main speakers. That's the issue under discussion.
Yes, I know. But I am discussing why and when the high-pass filter is needed or used. The 12/24 subwoofer filter used in AVRs, THX standard, assumes that the main speakers have a 12 dB/octave acoustic slope in the bass with nominally cross over point at 80 Hz. This is achieved with sealed boxes. You can approximate a more shallow slope if you would plug the ports of vented speakers, but it will only be an approximation since the box is usually a bit to big. The 24 dB/octave filter of the NR1200 would fit small vented boxes, which also has a slop of 24 dB/octave slope in the bass.

Phidel

Finally, I think I will go for the Denon 970H. I hope it will have the same or similar sound quality as the Marantz nr1200, it sounds great with my old speakers.

But I have another question, in the Marantz app I see the sampling rate at 48kHz and I can't change it, why? I have it connected via HDMI arc.

Top Bottom