• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a stereo amplifier for less than 530 €, need advice

Willem

Major Contributor
Considering my living room is 16 m2 it may not be a bad idea to look into that!
A small room like that will have room modes up to quite high frequencies (250 Hz or more).

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

kaffe

Thanks everyone.

I’ll look into the PEQ. Just too bad you need a microphone to do it, but sounds like it may very well be worthwhile, especially considering the dimensions of my room.

Overseas

Major Contributor
PEQ does not need a mic, it is just you want to use a mic for room measurement, to use PEQ efficiently. Otherwise, you can set PEQ by the ear, subjectively.

Willem

Major Contributor
you can set PEQ by the ear, subjectively.
But that is hardly worth the effort. Mind you, room modes are only a problem below the Schroeder frequency, and not, therefore, as pressing an issue with small bookshelf speakers that do not generate much low frequency output. On the other hand, since the Schroeder frequency is higher the smaller the room, you will have issues up to higher frequencies than in a large room. Equalizing higher frequencies, however, only works for a narrower listening position than lower frequencies. My personal take is that in a small room the simplest strategy is to use good small speakers without too much low frequency output. The story changes completely in a large room. Here, you will benefit from multiple subwoofers and equalization by somethng like MSO.

Last edited:

Overseas

Major Contributor
I did a poor, noob Umik measurement and found big 200hz problem in my very large room so I adjust it - 8 db by PEQ.

In the absence of measurement, I say go listen a quality sound/ room (dealer!?) so you get a feeling how far are you at home. Use familiar playlist.

OP
K

kaffe

If you can stretch your budget just a little, the audiophonics amp can get you into hypex amplification:

No ARC though. And I'd agree it is worth waiting for Wiim measurements.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I took a quick look at the topic and it looks like people agree that you're better off going for the DA-S250NC for another 100 €: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...2x250w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256-p-16952.html

That's not really within my budget, but despite that I am curious how much more I should expect to get compared to buying the Yamaha A-S301 considering the speakers I have. Will be speakers bottle neck the amp?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I took a quick look at the topic and it looks like people agree that you're better off going for the DA-S250NC for another 100 €: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/inte...2x250w-4-ohm-32bit-768khz-dsd256-p-16952.html

That's not really within my budget, but despite that I am curious how much more I should expect to get compared to buying the Yamaha A-S301 considering the speakers I have. Will be speakers bottle neck the amp?
Nothing wrong with the Yamaha at all. If I were buying an amp at that sort of power, and I needed an integerated amp - it would probaby be that one.

Willem

Major Contributor
I am curious how much more I should expect to get compared to buying the Yamaha A-S301
I doubt you would hear a difference. In terms of price, the comparison should probably be with the 2x85 watt AS501. Even so, the AS501 is still cheaper than the Audiophonics Ncore NC122MP amp. The AS501 now sells for 450 euros in the Netherlands.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor

I would not expect 'much more' using the Audiophonics vs. the Yamaha A-S301. The Audiophonics may give you added flexibility in the future should your listening space change. I use amplifiers with more power than I can use 'right now' - for that reason. I regard loudspeakers as a 'limiter' on all my sources more than a 'bottleneck' on an amplifier. Consider working with room treatment, parametric equalization (available via WiiM streamer) and possibly room correction software before changing your loudspeakers.

OP
K

kaffe

I doubt you would hear a difference. In terms of price, the comparison should probably be with the 2x85 watt AS501. Even so, the AS501 is still cheaper than the Audiophonics Ncore NC122MP amp. The AS501 now sells for 450 euros in the Netherlands.
Same here. Or 100 less for the A-S301, at least if I order from amazon.de. Not much, really!
I would not expect 'much more' using the Audiophonics vs. the Yamaha A-S301. The Audiophonics may give you added flexibility in the future should your listening space change. I use amplifiers with more power than I can use 'right now' - for that reason. I regard loudspeakers as a 'limiter' on all my sources more than a 'bottleneck' on an amplifier. Consider working with room treatment, parametric equalization (available via WiiM streamer) and possibly room correction software before changing your loudspeakers.
Many thanks.

I'll stick to the Dali and focus on the amplifier.

Guess I'll go with the WiiM Amp or A-S301 + Wiim Pro.
Alternatively, I should look into the SVS, Bluenode or Sonos, but are they more centred on home theatre than music listening?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Same here. Or 100 less for the A-S301, at least if I order from amazon.de. Not much, really!

Many thanks.

I'll stick to the Dali and focus on the amplifier.

Guess I'll go with the WiiM Amp or A-S301 + Wiim Pro.
Alternatively, I should look into the SVS, Bluenode or Sonos, but are they more centred on home theatre than music listening?
I am not very familiar with the streaming options from SVS, Bluenode, or Sonos but I do not believe they offer the option of applying parametric equalization like the options from WiiM.

OP
K

kaffe

Been playing around with the idea of buying a used amp since I am waiting on the WiiM Amp to come in stock anyway (and on more reviews, too).
Specifically, I have been looking at the Yamaha A-S1000. Can get one for ~540 euro which is from '07. Allegedly it's in mint condition, but I am not so sure: https://www.dba.dk/integreret-forstaerker-yamaha/id-1105281026/

The knobs for connecting the speakers (I don't know what they are named) looks a bit rusty or so? Like from wear and tear or perhaps some sort of stain? Definitely looks different when comparing to this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/inside-yamaha-amps.21894/

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you considered an avr instead? It'll have ARC/eARC and bass management so you can integrate subs as well as help integrate your video....

ps Maybe avc in europe....

Last edited:

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I cannot comment on the condition of the Yamaha A-S1000.

I can't give you a guaranty, but I expect WiiM's implementation of the TPA3255 amplifier chip to be on par with other implementations of the same chip like that found in the Fosi Audiio V3 or the Aiyima A07. IF I was considering an amplifier to use in the meantime, I am tempted to see just how 'usable' the Sabaj A4 'all-in-one' amplifier is

D

Deleted member 48726

Been playing around with the idea of buying a used amp since I am waiting on the WiiM Amp to come in stock anyway (and on more reviews, too).
Specifically, I have been looking at the Yamaha A-S1000. Can get one for ~540 euro which is from '07. Allegedly it's in mint condition, but I am not so sure: https://www.dba.dk/integreret-forstaerker-yamaha/id-1105281026/

The knobs for connecting the speakers (I don't know what they are named) looks a bit rusty or so? Like from wear and tear or perhaps some sort of stain? Definitely looks different when comparing to this: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/inside-yamaha-amps.21894/

Hi

It looks like it has been stored in a little too moist environment since the knobs and connectors are oxidized like that. I'd definitely use that to push the price down. -Even if it doesn't matter it will matter when you are going to sell it.

OP
K

kaffe

Have you considered an avr instead? It'll have ARC/eARC and bass management so you can integrate subs as well as help integrate your video....

ps Maybe avc in europe....
Yup.

To make a long story short, at this point I am more inclined to buy an amp solely for music listening purposes, perhaps unless I can get an all-in-one solution like that WiiM Amp (having a hard time making up my mind here, excuse me).

Thus, I am possibly finding myself in a new dilemma: should I buy a new amplifier or a used one? Looks like I might be able to get on the audiophile wagon if I buy a used one.

I cannot comment on the condition of the Yamaha A-S1000.

I can't give you a guaranty, but I expect WiiM's implementation of the TPA3255 amplifier chip to be on par with other implementations of the same chip like that found in the Fosi Audiio V3 or the Aiyima A07. IF I was considering an amplifier to use in the meantime, I am tempted to see just how 'usable' the Sabaj A4 'all-in-one' amplifier is

I still got my eyes glued on the various topics on it!

To clarify, I'll only be making a single buy. What I meant is that I'm considering an alternative to the WiiM since it's unavailable anyway :)

Hi

It looks like it has been stored in a little too moist environment since the knobs and connectors are oxidized like that. I'd definitely use that to push the price down. -Even if it doesn't matter it will matter when you are going to sell it.
Cheers.

Just to make sure I haven't misunderstood you, by "Even if it doesn't matter" are you saying that it won't matter or that perhaps it won't? My immediate thought is that I am well advised not to buy it if there's an indication that it has been stored in a moist environment.

D

Deleted member 48726

Yup.

To make a long story short, at this point I am more inclined to buy an amp solely for music listening purposes, perhaps unless I can get an all-in-one solution like that WiiM Amp (having a hard time making up my mind here, excuse me).

Thus, I am possibly finding myself in a new dilemma: should I buy a new amplifier or a used one? Looks like I might be able to get on the audiophile wagon if I buy a used one.

To clarify, I'll only be making a single buy. What I meant is that I'm considering an alternative to the WiiM since it's unavailable anyway :)

Cheers.

Just to make sure I haven't misunderstood you, by "Even if it doesn't matter" are you saying that it won't matter or that perhaps it won't? My immediate thought is that I am well advised not to buy it if there's an indication that it has been stored in a moist environment.
Isolated surface oxidation may not matter. But you are probably right in that there may have been moisture inside as well of course.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Yup.

Cheers.

Thanks for the clarification. The WiiM AMP has been available sporadiclally for about three weeks in the US. I do not know when the WiiM AMP will be available for delivery to your address. Consider waiting to audition a WiiM AMP. It may measure well enough in the eyes of many members of ASR to qualify for inclusion in their 'wagon' of audiophile gear.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Audiophonics has posted an 'estimate' of when they expect to be able to ship WiiM AMPs

Perhaps a query to Audiophonics can elicit a reply as to how 'firm' this estimate is right now

Top Bottom