• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 440 76.0%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all, I'm also thinking of using the FLEX directly to an amplifier. 2 questions please...

1 - if there any thump or popping when turning the FLEX on or off with the amp on full gain?
2 - is there any way to get a 12v trigger signal out of this thing, maybe with a small modification, to turn the amp on and off with the FLEX?

Thanks
With amp turned up full (amp capable of around 130W into the 6ohm speakers), I get a slight click when turning the flex on and off. Not loud enough to qualify as a thump or pop. Almost inaudible at normal listening volume.

2 - There are some circuits available that will turn audio out into a 12V trigger. Or you could try and find a device that can detect the difference between standby power and the normal on power (only about 7W) at the mains input. Probably neither approach worth the effort.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
With amp turned up full (amp capable of around 130W into the 6ohm speakers), I get a slight click when turning the flex on and off. Not loud enough to qualify as a thump or pop. Almost inaudible at normal listening volume.

instead of a low volume pop i've got a slight crunch-like sound, mostly when powering off, but not while powering on (both on a power amp and on an active sub) - but it's not my Flex digital's fault, it's coming from both external DAC's, really

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK - you're correct, with that connect you can set both high pass (for the mains) and low pass (for the sub)

You need to enable both high cut and low cut.

High cut sets the top frequency for the sub. Low cut sets the minimum frequency for your mains. They should both be set to the same value. A starting point based on the Yamaha mid range would be 100Hz.

View attachment 266860
Is the reason for a high subwoofer cut that if you are crossing over your main speakers at 80Hz for example, you don't want the subwoofer also trying to play the sounds above 80?

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
normally the subwoofer plays bass more efficiently than standard speakers ... so, isn't a crime to have a low pass higher than the high pass.
i have it that way.

soerenssen

Hi all, I'm also thinking of using the FLEX directly to an amplifier. 2 questions please...

1 - if there any thump or popping when turning the FLEX on or off with the amp on full gain?
2 - is there any way to get a 12v trigger signal out of this thing, maybe with a small modification, to turn the amp on and off with the FLEX?

Thanks
2) Can you connect an upstream device's (e.g. a DAC) 12V trigger out to the power amp? The Flex (in between the two) would still have to be turned on manually by the remote, but at least the amp power-on could be triggered.

spacevector

Forum Donor
Bump in hopes someone get give me some pointers on either further troubleshooting this or on shipping to HK from USA please.
Hi my apologies if this has been discussed in this thread already - but I have not read through all the 1800+ posts yet.

I have a miniDSP Flex unbalanced unit that I am having noise issues with.

The source is a Chromecast audio into the TOSLINK input of the Flex. Ouptuts from the Flex go to a Sabaj A5 amp (based on icePOWER) and an Elac subwoofer.

Whenever the Flex turns on, I get crackling noise in my speakers (DIY based on TC9FD18 driver). When the Flex is in Standby mode, speakers are silent. I keep the amp at full volume. The noise does not seem to be constant in level and will change over time - sometimes it gets loud enough to notice from LP 6ft away, other times it is not audible unless <1ft from the speaker.

I opened a support request with miniDSP who had me reset to factory settings but the noise persists. They have given me an RA number and are wanting me to ship it to HK.

My questions are:
1. Is this resolvable? Any steps I can try before having to ship it? I have a Behringer UCA202 that I could try to use to record the RCA output of the Flex but I have not tried this ever.
2. If I must ship the unit to HK, recommended means of doing this? USPS? I am in California.

Thank you all in advance.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bump in hopes someone get give me some pointers on either further troubleshooting this or on shipping to HK from USA please.
You may have a ground loop. What happens if you disconnect the sub from the system?

Or the problem may be lack of a ground/earth in the audio chain. You could test for this by connecting a spare RCA into one of the flex analogue inputs, then connecting the screen at the other end to something that is definitely grounded.

HoJ76

Is there any difference in the quality by using coax vs toslink vs usb input?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there any difference in the quality by using coax vs toslink vs usb input?
No, unless have ground loop noise - in which case toslink will eliminate that.

Igordit

Hi guys! I would like to join the owners Flex balanced. I read all two topics, but still have a questions. First I will describe my system: Hegel H390, Audiovector sr3 for stereo, Marantz 1609 with central and surround speakers (for front I use fixed rca inputs on amplifier) for cinema and Svs 2000 pro, Rel q150 for both scenarios. I want to improve my stereo system using Hegel dac loop (From manual - The function makes it possible to upgrade the digital inputs of the amplifier with an external high-end DAC. This is done by connecting the jitter reduced coaxial digital output of the amplifier to the external DAC. The output of the external DAC will need to be connected to the XLR input of the amplifier). I am absolutely happy listening Apple music just using my IPad for controlling Hegels player and don’t want add any new remote control :) Also I want connect two unbalanced subwoofers to balanced outputs of flex, using recommendation for cable by developers.
The second scenario - use both subwoofers for home theatre. I want connect my rca outputs of receiver to Flex balanced inputs for bass management.

So my questions:

1. Саn I control volume of Flex device from Ipad and Hegel? When I connect my marantz to Hegel using fixed rca inputs, I can control volume of receiver from amplifier - like back connection.
2. What cable I need to connect rca receiver for balanced inputs of Fleх? I know about drop signal, but it is only this way. I don’t want reconnect cable for stereo and HT every time.
3. What about quality of minidsp cables? I have master who can do hi quality cables for the same price.

I will be grateful for advice. Thank You!

mike70

The new FW isn't out yet, although it's close to release, miniDSP support told me, so it's still easy to make a case with audible distortion.

when it will be available? ... somebody knows?

Miniyouuuu

I’m using the MiniDSP Flex digital before the internal ADC from my amp. I use a Bluesound N130 streamer as main source.

Which should be the volume of each compoment in order to reduce Noise?

My choice:
-N130 fixed volumen
-MiniDSP max (0.0dB)
-Amp with variable volumen (Audiolab 9000a with ESS9038 Pro)

(I have some -10dB attenuation introduced on MiniDSP. )

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m using the MiniDSP Flex digital before the internal ADC from my amp. I use a Bluesound N130 streamer as main source.

My choice:
-N130 fixed volumen
-MiniDSP max (0.0dB)

That is how I would do it.

Though in reality it will make little difference where you reduce the volume. If you can't hear the noise, you can't hear the noise.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
You can also select which inputs you whish to slip when scrolling, this is done in a menu "Customize Selection" in miniDSP Device Console
You mean Harmony has the Mini in its database with the inputs already programmed in???

holbob

You mean Harmony has the Mini in its database with the inputs already programmed in???
Yes.

You put it in as "minidsp" for the manufacturer and then "minidsp flex" for the model number.

deercreekaudio

Dealer

My choice:
-N130 fixed volumen
-MiniDSP max (0.0dB)

In general what you're trying to do is get into the gain sweet spots of all of the devices in series in your system.

In this case if you're using a fixed output from the Bluesound into the miniDSP Flex Digital then you could use the volume on the flex to optimize the volume control range on your integrated amplifier, -10 dB on the miniDSP Flex is probably a good starting point.

Here's an article from miniDSP that talks about gain structure concepts: https://www.minidsp.com/applications/dsp-basics/gain-structure-101

Deer Creek audio is an authorized miniDSP dealer.

Eldus

Is there any benefit to buying Dirac Live for PC vs buying the license through the MiniDSP site to run on the Flex? Would the (5800x3d CPU) PC afford higher quality processing vs running Dirac on the Flex?
My PC is really the source I use for my 2.1 setup. Currently the sub and mains are fed the same signal, LPF on the sub.

Last edited:

cEbNVDyfMy

Forum Donor
Is there a cheaper, stand alone unit from any manufacturer that can run DIRAC or similar software?

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Top Bottom